Violence against women and girls

The role can and should be fulfilled by any and all that are competent in line with the required standards.

“next” really ?

Maybe the standards need reassessing as they have done through time regardless of peer reviews . Having worked with firefighters having a mixed workforce there were certainly no issues about competency or skills .

tashekis castle and Private Benjamin aren’t necessarily the best way to illustrate a point
Not to mention that firefighters can also use rams and crowbars and other tools to break down doors. The way that seesaw in the show is designed is to favour body mass, you don't have to be fit or strong to tip it, just heavy. In full gear she would have the weight necessary to get through that easily.

And a team with different strengths is a better team. If everyone was a 6ft3 brickhouse they'd get into a whole lot of trouble fitting through tight spaces.

Last edited:
These numbers are out-fudgeing-rageous.

And damn right as well.

It's abhorrent that we're failing so badly on this.

It's abhorrent that we're failing so badly on this.
It's astonishing that victims are failed on three fronts: the police, support in the community and the criminal justice system.

Domestic abuse isn't a (relatively) new thing like social media/online abuse. Shameful that the policies and services have been failing.

----------
EDIT: on a different point, this thread has (rightfully) evolved into one about violence against women.

Not sure how others feel, but does anyone feel the thread title could/should be amended to better reflect the discussion?

It's astonishing that victims are failed on three fronts: the police, support in the community and the criminal justice system.

Domestic abuse isn't a (relatively) new thing like social media/online abuse. Shameful that the policies and services have been failing.

----------
EDIT: on a different point, this thread has (rightfully) evolved into one about violence against women.

Not sure how others feel, but does anyone feel the thread title could/should be amended to better reflect the discussion?

Yes I was thinking that myself. Not sure what to, will have a think.

On the subject matter though it is shameful. Not saying other countries etc are better, it's a worldwide issue. Doesn't make it any better though.

It's a taboo subject, and because it goes on behind closed doors it's another out of sight out of mind issue for many people I'd say. And unfortunately the authorities and legal system too.

And those numbers are likely not the full picture. I dread to think how much more prevalent it actually is.

----------

I'm afraid I don't find it at all astonishing. An awful lot of people are still misogynistic, still victim blame women for the way they dress, for being out late at night, for being drunk. A lot of police officers still regard DA as a private matter, as "he said, she said", and don't want to get involved.

I think I have mentioned upthread that my local force, Sussex, are excellent in the way they deal with DA and record every contact with victims on bodycams, as part of building a body of evidence. But further along the criminal justice route, the courts still hand down pathetic sentences.

I think I have mentioned upthread that my local force, Sussex, are excellent in the way they deal with DA and record every contact with victims on bodycams, as part of building a body of evidence. But further along the criminal justice route, the courts still hand down pathetic sentences.
Sussex Police have had to up their game, I think, because of this high-profile case:

It's terrible it took this to happen before they did, but at least they appear to be taking women seriously now. If I'm wrong about this, then I apologise.

I think the help needs extended to men too as they seem to be forgotten about a bit.

I know this is a thread mainly about women but I watched a programme about how there is even less help available and safe places for men to go.

I think there is only 2 refuges for them and it's perhaps even more difficult for a man to admit they are being hurt by their partner (women and men).

I think the help needs extended to men too as they seem to be forgotten about a bit.

I know this is a thread mainly about women but I watched a programme about how there is even less help available and safe places for men to go.

I think there is only 2 refuges for them and it's perhaps even more difficult for a man to admit they are being hurt by their partner (women and men).

There is a storyline covering abuse of a male by a female on Casualty. Really well done, showing how a very strong character can be coercively controlled into submission, putting up with and excusing their partners violence.

There is a storyline covering abuse of a male by a female on Casualty. Really well done, showing how a very strong character can be coercively controlled into submission, putting up with and excusing their partners violence.
Yes, casualty can be really good for highlighting these things.

This documentary is currently on channel 5 catch up and called When Women Abuse Men, if anyone wants to watch it.

It tells the experiences of 3 men and I think 2 who were killed by their female partners.

It was a while ago I watched it though but well worth watching to see how some of the men are treated differently in comparison to women.

Although this is hopefully changing but certainly needs more awareness, that men too, can end up in horrific relationships and can be killed by their partners.

They need just as much help and places to go too and to be believed.

The odds continue to be horrifyingly stacked against victims every time you turn a rock over.

For the incidents in the articles, every place that I've worked at would consider it a dismissal unless it's at the very top level.

Screenshot_20210922-165518.png

Screenshot_20210922-165713.png

----------

Screenshot_20210922-165025.png

Screenshot_20210922-165227.png

You may not have heard about this, basically because there was practically no coverage of it whatsoever.

So this led to outrage on social media, and now suddenly it's made the news.

No coverage?
Really?
Wow, you exist in your very own echo chamber.
It’s been headline news on the BBC since the poor women’s body was found, lead story on various radio stations.

But you never noticed until it became a chance to score cheap political points.

Probably because Brexit, evil Tories or Zionist didn’t feature.

No coverage?
Really?
It’s been headline news on the BBC since the poor women’s body was found, lead story on various radio stations.

Do you actually have anything positive to contribute at all?

@richp007 is right: there was an initial tiny report, which only became headline news thanks to the social media response.

And well done for scoring cheap political points in your final sentence.

No coverage?
Really?

Congratulations on being so spectacularly wrong as per usual. It wasn't initially headline news at all.

And also for being pathetic enough to try and point score yourself on here by using such a tragedy. When I made no such insinuation. If anything I was being critical of the media.

But you stay classy.

Do you actually have anything positive to contribute at all?

@richp007 is right: there was an initial tiny report, which only became headline news thanks to the social media response.

And well done for scoring cheap political points in your final sentence.

Indeed - this happened last Friday, but really only hit the headlines yesterday, from what I can see.

I wasn’t aware it happened so long ago, TBH. So as Rich was, this seems like the very opposite of being in an echo chamber.

Indeed - this happened last Friday, but really only hit the headlines yesterday, from what I can see.

That is correct. But never let the truth get in the way of a good narrative hey.

I'll look forward to Blackpelt's apology. I'm a patient man :)

You may not have heard about this, basically because there was practically no coverage of it whatsoever.

So this led to outrage on social media, and now suddenly it's made the news.

You're linking to a BBC report dated 20 September, yet you and others are claiming the story only appeared yesterday.

Worth noting that this was the first time details were released by the police. Social media often publishes details before they are formally confirmed, but the mainstream media rarely does that, especially in cases like this as the family members may not have been informed.

I found a link that's even earlier - 19 September, which was five days ago:

You're linking to a BBC report dated 20 September, yet you and others are claiming the story only appeared yesterday.

Worth noting that this was the first time details were released by the police. Social media often publishes details before they are formally confirmed, but the mainstream media rarely does that, especially in cases like this as the family members may not have been informed.

I found a link that's even earlier - 19 September, which was five days ago:

I never meant it only appeared yesterday, I meant coverage only went mainstream. It was obscure on news websites and barely even being mentioned. I only found out about it myself via social media when someone was querying it.

And that lack of coverage has been getting discussed in greater detail. I'm not necessarily endorsing what's being said here, but merely highlighting my point with these.

Congratulations on being so spectacularly wrong as per usual. It wasn't initially headline news at all.

And also for being pathetic enough to try and point score yourself on here by using such a tragedy. When I made no such insinuation. If anything I was being critical of the media.

But you stay classy.
Which is very odd behaviour for such a 'new' member 🤔🤔

Which is very odd behaviour for such a 'new' member 🤔🤔

They're not a new member, I just haven't figured out yet which former banned member they are. Judging by their prejudiced and largely nonsensical posts about the place, they're only interested in trolling politically opposed members rather than engaging in any debate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom