Men ♂ Nail Varnish/Other Makeup? (the modern man)

969899d1a2e90c24d410115b858c17f0.jpg
Just about a ripe as mine.

I wash my junk with swarfega.

#machomachoman

I don't wear make-up or nail varnish because I care what anyone else thinks of me, the reason I don't wear it is that I was brought up a the way I was. I'm a man, I wear trousers. I shave my face, but not my legs. I use man's deodorant, not ladies ones. I smell musky (eww, gross), not flowery. I have a deep voice, not an effiminate one. All of these things are just how I behave and live and are part of who I am.

Ah yes, but perhaps there's a tension between sex (your biology) and gender (cultural learning)?

For example, I am also a biological man and heterosexual, but I was primarily raised in an all-female household and have subsequently felt closer emotionally to women than men.

Also, rather enjoyably, I have persistently had people assume I was Gay for much of my life, probably because I have no interest in being stereotypically "masculine" at all. My father desperately tried to make me more "manly" when I was a child, but my sisters would just take the piss at my pathetic attempts so I rapidly gave up.

It was problematic when I went to an all-boys school, I must admit, and I did lose all my confidence at the time, but it now feels like a previous life, thankfully.

What I really don't understand is anyone who feels threatened in some way by anyone who's different? If you're more comfortable being traditionally masculine then fine, but I don't see why that means you have to hate anyone who's not. It doesn't mean the breakdown of society or men being emasculated, I think it means individuals being more true to themselves and refusing to just follow the herd so it makes other people feel more comfortable.

I suppose you are comfortable in your identity, Doug, which is why you are tolerant and accepting of difference. If only more people were like this....

Where, or rather When did it all go wrong for Human Males?

I'm sure Men used to wear makeup and lavish cloths in the past, which would be looked upon a very weird today.

Lest we forget we, or rather our current accepted societies norms arem one could argue against nature.
Is it not mostly the males of many species that are the Biggest, Boldest, Brightest colourful ones?
Being as impressive and flamboyant as possible to attract the dull drab brown/grey females.

What went wrong for the Humans?
Why are the women the only ones to decorate themselves to attract a mate?

Methinks Men should be allowed to cover lost ground here.
We just need to STOP enforcing gender stereotypes onto children, as there is no reason why one sex should be allowed to do/wear/say things and another sex something different.

Isn't there some world famous YouTuber who has millions of subscribers and gives make up tips?

It's a young guy!:)

Ah yes, but perhaps there's a tension between sex (your biology) and gender (cultural learning)?

For example, I am also a biological man and heterosexual, but I was primarily raised in an all-female household and have subsequently felt closer emotionally to women than men.

Also, rather enjoyably, I have persistently had people assume I was Gay for much of my life, probably because I have no interest in being stereotypically "masculine" at all. My father desperately tried to make me more "manly" when I was a child, but my sisters would just take the piss at my pathetic attempts so I rapidly gave up.

It was problematic when I went to an all-boys school, I must admit, and I did lose all my confidence at the time, but it now feels like a previous life, thankfully.

What I really don't understand is anyone who feels threatened in some way by anyone who's different? If you're more comfortable being traditionally masculine then fine, but I don't see why that means you have to hate anyone who's not. It doesn't mean the breakdown of society or men being emasculated, I think it means individuals being more true to themselves and refusing to just follow the herd so it makes other people feel more comfortable.

I suppose you are comfortable in your identity, Doug, which is why you are tolerant and accepting of difference. If only more people were like this....

Where, or rather When did it all go wrong for Human Males?

I'm sure Men used to wear makeup and lavish cloths in the past, which would be looked upon a very weird today.

Lest we forget we, or rather our current accepted societies norms arem one could argue against nature.
Is it not mostly the males of many species that are the Biggest, Boldest, Brightest colourful ones?
Being as impressive and flamboyant as possible to attract the dull drab brown/grey females.

What went wrong for the Humans?
Why are the women the only ones to decorate themselves to attract a mate?

Methinks Men should be allowed to cover lost ground here.
We just need to STOP enforcing gender stereotypes onto children, as there is no reason why one sex should be allowed to do/wear/say things and another sex something different.
I think what Doug is trying to say Derek is that you must learn to accept who you are as a person and be whomever you wish to be. Childhood experience's do have an effect on how we see ourselves and how we see and relate to others. However, other people are completely unaware of those experiences. Its up to us as individuals to make choices that benefit ourselves and those we have close personal ties with such as friends and families.

Personally my identity has changed a few times, I had an awful time as a teenager, early twenties to late twenties was good, changed to family man till mid forties. Now I'm having an Indian summer, comparatively to men my own age my experience is positive (That experience is driven by my own choices though). The more relaxed and confident you are with your own identity the more comfortable and accepting people will be around you.
At the moment I have more female friends than male, enjoy female company better than male.

Men do decorate themselves, the current trend for everyman especially the young is for beards and sharp suits, skinny fit clothes, sleeve tats. Wealthy men attract people thru access to resources.
A person in a Range Rover will attract different attention to someone in a Qashqai for instance. People compete for attention from those they want relationships with in different ways, success is dependant on many factors. People look at others and judge, compare, contrast with themselves, some people admire, some act jealously, some politicise every interaction we have between each other. Such is the way for the world, acceptance and rejection is part of life.

My only objection to post modern gender political thought is interference in a families choice in how they choose to raise their children. I have 3 daughters, without going into in depth studies my own observations lead me to believe more in nature vs nurture concerning behaviour. Just a thought, maybe nurturing nature would be more successful in creating a balanced civil society.
Academically my degree covers the gender debate, the current effects of behaviour will have an effect on the micro and macro economy. Not really the right forum to be going off on that tangent though.

When I'm at the gym there are some men who take longer having a shower than they do working out.

They take multiple bottles of 'product' in with them.

I don't get it...?

1807.jpg

I don't have an issue with people expressing or decorating themselves with a bit of originality. It's the identikit men you see everywhere that irritate me. Skinny jeans, boat shoes, quiff with shaved sides, David Dickinson hue from the solarium. They all look like someone from The Only Way is Made in Love Island.

Then I suppose everyone has an element of vanity when they're trying to impress the ladies, who do love those muck reality shows.

Last edited:
We also need to STOP enforcing gender neutrality onto children.

Some are so obsessed with the concept that they won't let their kids wear pink/blue or play with dolls/tanks even if they want to.

Unfortunately snowflake generation really have a thing about dressing boys blue and girls pink, so there is a lot to undo - I got admonished by one

Reminds me of when I got an earful from a little old lady in Waitrose who said 'what a cute baby boy' about one of our new-born girls - when I just casually corrected her she snapped "YOU SHOULDN'T DRESS A GIRL IN BLUE!" :rolleyes:

:(

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-16_9-28-47.png
    upload_2019-7-16_9-28-47.png
    806.8 KB · Views: 52
Unfortunately snowflake generation really have a thing about dressing boys blue and girls pink, so there is a lot to undo - I got admonished by one

Jeez... the woman who told you not to let your new born girl wear blue??? Haven't they got anything better to do?

There are so many people out there who you see with children who treat them appaulingly but I doubt she would have said anything to them?

D936E934-DBE8-4DE0-B68A-E4DBFD77E3AC.jpeg
Just watching a programme about Facebook, called Inside the social network. And this guy popped up. Black nails look fine. Black hair and moustache, not so much.

Agreed,
There's just a mild hint of Adolf in his look for me.

Thinking Silver may be a bit much, and for myself anyway, black looks a bit like I smashed my nails with a hammer!
Considering perhaps a gunmetal/titanium.

Those colours sound like MAN'S colours which helps ;)

Agreed,
There's just a mild hint of Adolf in his look for me.

Thinking Silver may be a bit much, and for myself anyway, black looks a bit like I smashed my nails with a hammer!
Considering perhaps a gunmetal/titanium.

Those colours sound like MAN'S colours which helps ;)

You’re overthinking it and taking too long. For goodness sake, just go and buy a gunmetal grey varnish and post the results already! I can’t wait.:thumbsup::D

People, both Men and Women are free to do what they like. Dress how they like, wear makeup how they like.

I wouldn't wear make up myself, but unlike snowflakes/homophobics/morons, it doesn't personally impact my life so I have no reason to be outraged by it.

Also, regarding the posts about shampoo and conditioner, this needs posting.

clujr8q7t4g11.jpg

For the savvy young males who wear make up - there's money to be made.

The Unstoppable Rise of YouTube's Child Make-Up Artists
When he reached 300,000 followers they were paying him $2,000 (£1,600) per sponsored video. Now, having just turned 16, he's charging triple that and is on target to make at least $100,000 (£80,000) by the end of the year.

Are 'tubers, influences, 'gramers (or whatever the they call themselves) diluting the boundaries between male/ female make up?

Tried 2 silver nail varnishes over the week.
A Standard one, and a Gel which needs UV Lamp curing.
Something I knew nothing about before!

Unsure which is best.

I thought I would go for a darker gunmetal, so just as a test I used a black marker pen, and wiped it off the silver, and it gave a similar look, but I didn't like it.

Right now I'm thinking of White, as the clean look appeals, but I've read many whites don't cover well, many complaints and need many coats.

Will admit to feeling a bit odd in shops looking at the women's product section, which makes me think, it's about time shops got more up to date and stopped such zones being very obviously geared towards woman only and tried to make them more generic for everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom