Men ♂ Nail Varnish/Other Makeup? (the modern man)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What with "All the times are a changing", and why should one set of rules apply to one sex and another to the other sex, etc etc.....
Society is thankfully becoming more accepting of allowing people to express themselves in ways that not that many years ago would have been quite unacceptable.

As, generally there is not really much in the way of make-up most guys could get away with, in day to day life, lipstick, eye shadow etc, unless you are either very young and trendy, or involved in the media.
I thought perhaps nail varnish might be a thing that a guy could actually, lets say, get away with.

The reason this struck me was that I was spraying some items last weekend with a nice shiny metallic silver paint, of course no gloves, so ends of my fingers were covered in silver.
I managed to wash it mostly off my skin, but it was pretty stuck to my nails, so I just left it, as it would wear off during the week.
However, actually I thought silver nails looked quite good :) A colour IMHO I felt a male could get away with, so pondering actually trying some and seeing what reaction I get.

Should I worry ;)

Any other guys wear anything similar, or still consider such a thought a major nono ?

Last edited:
nails.jpg

Had my eyes done by my ex model GF once and tbh I looked fudgeing so hot I would have done me.

Took three days to get that stuff off my eyes :eek::p

What with "All the times are a changing", and why should one set of rules apply to one sex and another to the other sex, etc etc.....
Society is thankfully becoming more accepting of allowing people to express themselves in ways that not that many years ago would have been quite unacceptable.

As, generally there is not really much in the way of make-up most guys could get away with, in day to day life, lipstick, eye shadow etc, unless you are either very young and trendy, or involved in the media.
I thought perhaps nail varnish might be a thing that a guy could actually, lets say, get away with.

The reason this struck me was that I was spraying some items last weekend with a nice shiny metallic silver paint, of course no gloves, so ends of my fingers were covered in silver.
I managed to wash it mostly off my skin, but it was pretty stuck to my nails, so I just left it, as it would wear off during the week.
However, actually I thought silver nails looked quite good :) A colour IMHO I felt a male could get away with, so pondering actually trying some and seeing what reaction I get.

Should I worry ;)

Any other guys wear anything similar, or still consider such a thought a major nono ?
No, and yes.

Me and MrsD once chatted with a double glazing salesman who had his finger nails varnished, it just didn’t look right to us. No we didn’t buy our windows from him. Each to their own though.

Had my eyes done by my ex model GF once and tbh I looked fudgeing so hot I would have done me.

Took three days to get that stuff off my eyes :eek::p
5CE1F2F3-1CEE-4F03-B2AF-0089CCB08A5A.jpeg

Lots of guys at gigs I’ve been to have black nail polish. I wouldn’t do it, but it doesn’t bother me what other people want to do:)

Interesting, so far, to see how this view that it's only really still socially acceptable for woman to colour their nails.
If you google for images or just google in general there are masses of men with various nail colours.
More masculine colours I guess, gunmetal, black, deep red, blue etc.
Not bright pinks, greens, reds, which I would feel one may expect.

Part of me feels sad this view is still the case. Men are very held back social acceptance when it comes to these things, whereas woman can pretty much wear anything male/female aimed and it's deemed totally fine.

I have to blame us men for being too nervous about what friends and society may think of us which is stopping us? from feeling we are allowed to enjoy the use of products is we'd like to.

There is no reason why not, and if we grew up seeing most men with nail colours, we'd all be doing it, as it would be just as normal as a watch.
Imagine if Watches were only really acceptable for women to wear. It's pretty much the same.

I feel we all know this will change, once us? old doddering fogeys are replaced by more accepting generations ;)

Sometimes it is worth doing anything for the right woman ;)

Got a few funny looks, but tbh no one really gave a shit. Guess it helped that I looked much better than Robert Smith :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Growing up and knowing people from the world of lights and attention, has left me with a pretty open mind that is not shocked by what some wish to do with their lives.

Wouldn't paint my nails though :p

Just nope. Leave it to the women.

Yes, i’m old fashioned like that.

Just nope. Leave it to the women.

Yes, i’m old fashioned like that.
I doubt whether you would find too many younger men who would believe it is fine for men to wear nail varnish.
I think Tempest blaming us old fogeys for something that is not remotely generational is misplaced, we do seem to get blamed for much these days.

I was a goth in teenage years, spent all my paper round money on black nail varnish and eyeliner.

I really couldn't be bothered with that level of upkeep even if I was still inclined! but don't see why it would be a problem for a fella to do it - although, and this is the crazy -society programmed brain, I do take a second look when I see a fella wearing it, which is completely ironic considering I used to wear it. It does however, make me see that person in a different, more positive light, its like a little window into someones world without even having to talk to them. Thats pretty cool in my book.

Choose who you want to be, not who society dictates you should be.

Last edited:
I doubt whether you would find too many younger men who would believe it is fine for men to wear nail varnish.
I think Tempest blaming us old fogeys for something that is not remotely generational is misplaced, we do seem to get blamed for much these days.

I'd say that was pretty inaccurate, younger people/generations are far more acceptable to the idea that you can be who you want to be and not be ridiculed for it. Thankfully even a lartge portion of schools now support freedom of expression.

I'd say that was pretty inaccurate, younger people/generations are far more acceptable to the idea that you can be who you want to be and not be ridiculed for it. Thankfully even a large portion of schools now support freedom of expression.
I was specifically talking about men wearing nail varnish, as that is what the thread is about, not the whole freedom of expression thing.

I was specifically talking about men wearing nail varnish, as that is what the thread is about, not the whole freedom of expression thing.

Freedom of expression would invoke the concept of it being fine for men to wear nail varnish, which is what this thread is about. Thats what nail varnish is I suppose, an expression of oneself, same as many other things like Tattoos, make up etc.

upload_2019-7-13_9-28-37.jpg

I rest my case your honour :laugh:

My that’s a big one :)

@Chillie6 please note the lack of nail varnish in the image of my sartorial elegance you posted, after all one has standards don't you know and I would not want people to think I was a bit odd.:rotfl:

@Chillie6 please note the lack of nail varnish in the image of my sartorial elegance you posted, after all one has standards don't you know and I would not want people to think I was a bit odd.:rotfl:

I'm more worried that he either 1) knew where on the forum that photo resided to grab a copy, or, 2) even worse, he has a handy copy on his desktop...

...actually, I've just considered a level 3; that picture is his desktop backround :eek:

:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom