1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory upgrade...Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by martian1, Oct 25, 2003.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have 512 ddr [266] memory at the moment, would an upgrade to 768 [333] make much differance. Most games run pretty well at 1024 x 768 [32] including Halo. Only the occasional annoying stutter in games. Would this help.

My pc is a P4 2gig m/c with a msi ti4200x8 graphics card.

Thanks

2. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    More memory is always useful - but the 'stutter' is most likely to be a cpu / gfx card hitting 100% utilisation due to the amount of detail on screen.

If u use graphics editing programs for photo's or have tend to have a lot of programs open at once - more mem will help no end - with less of virtual mem having to be used.

3. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think you mean a 9800pro ... go for the 128MB version as getting the 256MB will be a waste since no games use that much graphics memory for the time being ....

IMHO a 9600 will not give that big a leap over the Ti4200 than the 9800pro will ... should keep you going for the next couple of years ;)

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    a 9800 pro 256mb version is expensive, but is the only graphics card capable of using the full bandwidth as far as i know. I'm under the impression that the Nvidia 256mb cards are just tit-for-tat and aren't a "true" 256mb card, i.e. wouldn't be able to utilise the full amount of memory at once like the ATI card can.

Although its true that any 256mb card is pretty useless at the moment and are likely to be cheaper and better models when the memory is needed in the future.

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Ok i will hang on for a better graphics card, might have to change power supply [ only 250watts] . This is were things start to get expensive as my mobo will no doubt need changing to get the full spec usage of the card. Hoped a memory boost might do for now but looks unlikely.
    For future reference what mobos run the ATI cards best as i now from forums they can be a pain if not matched well with other components .

7. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    memory would "help" a game like C&C but a jutter in fps is more likely your cpu

8. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had the same problem with games juddering and more memory sorted it out a treat.

9. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Try the 9600 XT - this is supposed to be better than a 9600pro, which probably puts it near to a 9800.

If memory serves me correct a reveiw that I read stated that it could be overclocked too.

The 9600 XT comes with a voucher for H.L. 2 - and all the latest gubbins which will future proof for a couple of years.

9600 xt

and

9600 xt (saphire)

regards,

GJC

10. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I found that going from 512 to 768 MB on Windows XP did help. I think 512 is the minimum you need for an XP gaming PC. Any less and you'll see some hard disk swapping.

The problem is, that as soon as the PC is running anything in the background (as all XP boxes do), you'll see occasional swapping with 512. At least, that's how is was for me. If I shut down all background apps and stopped some of the services it was OK. But with the extra ram I don't need to do this.

So, IMO, the extra 256 meg is worth it. Especially if you're trying to run games like UT2003 with all the eye-candy on

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm a bit confused.

Is it memory,cpu or gfx card that he should get,as I have a similar spec?

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, I had an Athlon 1800+ with a GeForce 4 4200ti card, 512MB ram. I upgraded the graphics card to a 9800 and the difference was astounding. I also upgraded my m/b and CPU to what is about a 3200+ spec (cpu is overclocked). This didn't make as much diference as the graphics card by a long chalk.

Russell

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    If you had 128 or 256Mb's of ram, I would recommend upgrading your ram to 512+.
    As it is, 512 is generally recommended in most reviews and advice as a good amount for gameing machines - with 1 gig ram listed for high end and ultra gaming machines only.

Another thing you must consider if you choose to upgrade your ram - is the spec of your current ram against future processor and system upgrades.
    Current top end processors and defininatley next generation processors may well require a higher spec ram than you are currently running.

Those processors will drop in price and come withing the budget of the bargin hunter - but will require you to throw away your old ram.
    So its a case of either suffering the loss of 512 you bought awhile ago ..... or the added loss of the extra ram you bought.

Memory is not simply about size either with regards to system performance.
    The latency and clock rate of the ram can make a considerable difference to system performance from the slowest spec to the best.

When running 3D games - the biggest factors are:
    GFX card -> Processor -> ram ( as long as we are not talking about 64mb ;) ) -> mobo -> HD

Most stuttering on 3D games is not caused by ram ( if we consider u have 512 especially ) - its caused by the GFX card and or cpu hitting maximum usuage.
    Most 3D games load defined areas of the game into memory - then when you leave the area they load up a new one.
    These areas ( or chunks ) - say for a large counter strike map - are usually in the order of 1 to 10MB in size could cause an issue for a 64 Meg machine - but not for a 512MB one.

It is down to the amount of characters on screen at once - with your cpu and gfx card having to calculate and then draw all their independant movements.

One thing you should do - is make sure your system is clean before running high spec games .... make sure you are not running extra/unrequired services, applications etc that are grabing system resources away from your game.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I usually disable Norton Antivirus and firewall before running games - and also exit from MSN messenger or any other such program.
    I'm currently upping my RAM from 512MB to 1GB as I've started to do quite a lot of video processing etc and I'm sure the extra RAM will help in these tasks.

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    512mb of good quality, high speed memory should be plenty for current gaming. Yes, up to 1gb of ram will help with video/graphic editing but for gaming - 512mb is fine.

In terms of overclocking/eeking that last ounce of performance out of a system, larger sticks of ram are actually worse than 256mb dimms.

:smoke:

16. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    /me nods with kramer :D

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    Interestingly enough I've upgraded from 512 to 1GB to help with Mpeg encoding and I've gound that C&C Generals definately runs better. Certain maps that used to stutter somewhat when a lot of units were on the map now run smoothly.