Memory too low and paging file message.

RBS

Novice Member
Hello. I have an ASUS Transformer which I have had since new about 7 years ago. (The kind where you can lift the screen section off and use it like a tablet)

It has 2Gb ram, 28 Gb hard drive in the lift of top section (C) and 500Gb in the bottom section (E). There is loads of space left in E drive but C is full and it seems to be only the necessary operating files on C and I can't move any more to E to free up space. I can't even update my version of Windows 10 which is no longer supported and that message keeps coming up every time I turn the computer on.

It has been brilliant but now it keeps telling me I have insufficient memory and a temporary paging file has been created. The paging file size is zero and it will not accept a larger number (no space left on C?) and so it keeps crashing.
Other than anything else you can suggest is it possible to transfer everything onto E drive and still have the top half working just as a screen as I never split them anymore?

Hope that makes sense and thanks for any suggestions.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's worth finding out which model in the Transformer range you have as the best solution is to swap out the memory sticks and storage drive for larger examples if that's possible.

In terms of running windows from the hard drive I'm not sure how those devices were set up. Do you have to tell it you're going to separate the halves before you do so? That would suggest it's just treating it as a standard external drive and you could install to there without doing anything funky.

You can create symlinks between the tiny drive and the HDD, here's an example of doing so for the update download folder:
How to Change the Windows 10 Update Download Folder Location Although there are GUI tools to do it these days rather than just the command line.

I don't know how far you can do - I'd suspect trying to do it on the Windows directory wouldn't work very well.

Some settings like the page file should let you specify which drive to place it on so you can just put that on the hard drive directly. Although if you're running out of memory and resorting to the page file it's very slow on a hard drive so you may find replacing the hard drive with an SSD for £20-30 will give it a bit more usable lifetime.

mikeysthoughts

Maybe try running something like CCleaner to remove unneeded and duplicate files from the C drive?

I've just dug out my old Transformer pad from a box. If you continue to have trouble I might be willing to sell the RAM separately if that would be of interest.

RBS

Novice Member
Sorry for the late reply to suggestions. Not sure I want to start opening it up to change things, could lead to disaster.
If I want to separate the halves I can just do that at any time or even start it up and use with the screen part separated. I might try saving everything to an external drive just in case before I try to move the operating system to 'E' drive and use it as a one piece item.
Thanks for the offer of the memory but as above do I trust myself not to balls it up. Not sure if it is worth spending money on it or not.

Carbon 60

Hi RBS,

2GB RAM (and a 28GB eMMC with all your programs on it) is a pitiful amount and that's why you're running out of memory and cache when you try to do stuff.

You didn't say which model Transformer you have or which version of W10 and from what date it was no longer supported. Also how much space do you have free on the 500GB HDD. We need to know these things!

If it is version 1903, well that was end of life on Dec 8th 2020 and you need to update it. You can check your W10 version by going to Windows settings, then System, then About. But with 2GB RAM you're going to struggle mightily as W10 Home needs 3GB.

If you have a local computer store or two give them a call and see what they say. It may be possible to add another 2GB RAM and move all your programs and the OS to the 500GB 5400rpm HDD, but whether the cost of the RAM and labour would be worth it long term on a 7 year old 2-in-1 is another matter.

Thinking about the problem a bit more you may be able to use ReadyBoost by adding an empty USB flash drive in a spare USB slot, but this won't last indefinitely. ReadyBoost speeds up Windows by storing application files and data as cache in a USB flash drive.

You may also be able to reduce the size of the pagefile (pagefile.sys). Ask the computer stores about these other 2 options. Have all the answers I asked you to hand when you call otherwise they'll be in the dark too.

Last edited:

oneman

Maybe try running something like CCleaner to remove unneeded and duplicate files from the C drive?

I've just dug out my old Transformer pad from a box. If you continue to have trouble I might be willing to sell the RAM separately if that would be of interest.
I though the RAM was soldered on ?

The only upgradable part is the storage on the keyboard part AFIAK

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I though the RAM was soldered on ?

The only upgradable part is the storage on the keyboard part AFIAK

We don't know the specific model yet, Asus made at least half a dozen different machines under the transformer brand and I know some of them had swappable drives in the tablet half, although I don't recall whether any had socketed memory.

It's well worth looking up the details of the specific model though. It may be easy to get into and the memory and/or drive swappable That's a better solution than anything else and you don't lose anything by looking so I certainly wouldn't dismiss it before you've found out the details.

oneman

We don't know the specific model yet, Asus made at least half a dozen different machines under the transformer brand and I know some of them had swappable drives in the tablet half, although I don't recall whether any had socketed memory.

It's well worth looking up the details of the specific model though. It may be easy to get into and the memory and/or drive swappable That's a better solution than anything else and you don't lose anything by looking so I certainly wouldn't dismiss it before you've found out the details.
I am guessing it was a T100 or T101 which came with 2GB RAM. The later models like T200 came with 4GB of RAM but still soldered on. TBH I haven't come across too many tablets with upgradable RAM

strangely tim

If you know what your doing you can upgrade any machine (really know what your doing) but the OPs machine is getting on in age/under resourced, perhaps its time to do a reset, use it for light duties and buy a newer or depending on budget a new machine.

RBS

Novice Member
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the suggestions. It is a T200t model but I have a bigger issue now. Last night I pressed the power button as usual but it did not turn on. I got the battery symbol with a red bar at the bottom, a click and a whirr and it turned off. Plugged in the charger and the orange charge light came on but still did not start. Left it on charge for an hour but just the same non start and flat battery indicator. Thinking about it the unit did seem to be getting quite warm recently and the battery should not have been flat last time it was turned off. Could really do with getting it working to recover photographs before buying a new laptop.

oneman

It the photos are on the 500GB disk in the base then you can open up the base and take the disk out then use a USB adapter to attach it to another computer.

RBS

Novice Member
Thanks "oneman" That sounds like an option. Currently trying to research a new laptop using my phone. Torture.

RBS

Novice Member
Just checked the charger and can't see what it says but it is putting out 23.4 volts so that is probably OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom