Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by 7ewis, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 7ewis

7ewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a few dodgy low memory USB 2 flash drives, and would like to buy a new one as the price has come down a lot!

But I don't know which one I should buy..

I would like a 64GB/32GB memory stick, preferably 64GB. I would also like to have quite quick read/write speeds as my current USB sticks, are VERY slow.

Most websites don't seem to include this information though.

I would like to buy from Amazon, and don't want to spend over £25 really.

What do you recommend?

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648

Thats the problem here , while there are many many 32GB and 64GB Thumb drives for £20 or less , they are seriously slow to transfer files too.

Go cheap for a USB 2 drive , and your looking at literally hours for any kind of large file transfer , you need to spend more to get the maximum of around 28MB/s.

USB 3 of course is the way to go for fast file transfers , but you wont even get a look at one of those for that price.

http://www.everythingusb.com/flash-drives.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Agree, but to state the obvious - you do need USB3 ports on your PC etc to get the speed advantage with them.
    Really :devil:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-JumpD...KBFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345478415&sr=8-2
    Intenso 3530480 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Pen Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    SSK 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Memory Stick, upto 100MB/S Transfer rate . Stylish Retractable Design: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Sorry :blush:

But I would still expect a USB3 flash drive at this price to be a fair bit slower than the more expensive ones.

Mark.

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Did you read the reviews on those before posting the links ?

All of them perform appallingly , most at the top end of the USB 2 spec , none within the range of the USB 3 spec. Not worth the money at all.

Really , its a false economy trying to get a USB 2 or 3 drive of that capacity for that price , it either performs so slowly that you wont use it , or it will fall apart in no time.

Your much better off looking for deals on the top performers listed here ,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-thumb-drive-flash-drive,2900-13.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...b-3-0-flash-drive-5-reviewed-and-rated-998031

For USB 2.0 , heres a page with some USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 drives , the best performers of the USB 2.0 drives are here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/usb3-usb2_4.html#sect0

These days you may get one of these quite cheap , probably not for 20 , but at least it will perform and you will get your moneys worth , it wont end up stuck in a drawer in dread of the transfer times.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    No, I was just pointing out that there were 'cheap options' for USB3 flash drives, but I did also state that they wouldn't be the best performers
    100% agree - you get what you pay for.

Mark.

6. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    You'd have to look into speeds but these are good deals:

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Blade USB Flash Drive- Includes SecureAccess Software £12.99 - Free Delivery £12.99 reduced from £49.99!

SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Slice USB flash drive - Includes SecureAccess Software £23.99 - Free Delivery

I have a 16GB Cruzer Blade and it's never let me down, even after spending an evening in my garden in wet grass. I can also vouch for the website having used them for years for all types of removable storage.

Be sure to check out their other offers on non SanDisk products too, I just tend to stick with them as I've always found them to be most reliable.