1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Stick Advice

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by superdon, Dec 9, 2004.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just waiting on dleivery of my girlfriends Xmas pressie (Sony W12) and wan to buy some extra memory to go with it.

I understand the camera will work with both Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro. I know Pro is faster, but will this only affect things if I am using video on the camera? We are not going to use the camera for video much, if at all, and I dont want to buy the Pro if I dont really need it.

Also, where is the best place to buy from? I see there are some good deals on them on ebay, but mostly shipped from Hong Kong. I was looking at 128mb or maybe 256mb.

Also, whats the Duo all about and can it be used with the W12?!?

Cheers for any advice.

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.Ebuyer.co.uk are a good bet. Extra write speed is only of use for multiple shots short bursts....if camera offers that. Sounds like you don't need it.

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Superdon

I recently got the W12. Very good camera!

I bought 256 'Sony' branded memory stick PRO. The PRO is replacing the higher capacity non PRO sticks, and these will be the only ones of 256 + available after a while.

The advantage with the PRO sticks is the faster transmision speed, which enables video recording at 640x480 - A very good quality moving image with high resolution. Very nice feature IMHO, and not that common on digital cams at this price level. It makes no difference and no benefit to still images, though.

I got mine for £37 inc shipping from a guy on ebay in the US. Was half the shop price.

I wouldn't get anything less than 256mb, if I were you.

The DUO is a smaller card (half the length) which is the only size that fits certain Sony products (typically hand held devices). You can use this in your camera, providing you use the 'adapter' thingy that may / may not be supplied with a DUO card.

I specifically wanted to avoid the DUO as I felt it was more fiddly.

If you want your memory for xmas, you'll be too late for deliveries from the US / Hong Kong. Instead try here

4. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Cheers for the help.

I've been bidding on ebay for some (both UK and foreign based) and am just missing out on all of them! There seems to be some bargains on there though, missed out on a brand new 256mb Sandisk Pro card that went £16! Will keep trying though.

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with the ebaying - hope you don't get a dud stick! Definitely go for Pro though, the 30fps video is worth paying the (quite small) extra for. If your TV has a front AV port you can play off the camera like a camcorder as they include a composite lead to connect the camera directly.

I seriously didn't expect to use the video either and i now really like it. It's a nice to have that I infrequently use, but definitely prefer to have it there when I want it.

6. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The camera was delivered this morning - even though PC World still think they are processing the order?!? Maybe they will send me another :)

I've had a quick look at it, but cant really have a proper play as I need to wrap it up ready for Xmas day.

7. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget to charge the batteries when it's open!

8. Paulholio

Paulholio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful when getting them from ebay ans definately make sure its an official sony product. I know a few people who have been getting duds. I ended up getting my girlfriend one from hifix

9. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well managed to get one in the end. Its a UK supplier, and is a genuine Sony product. Its a standard memory stick rather than pro, and only 128mb, but only cost me £15 all in. I figure we can buy another one after Xmas some time.