Memory Question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by stranger, Feb 28, 2014.

1. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +869
    One of my older PCs (Gigabyte motherboard) has two banks (sticks) of 4G memory, but when checking system properties it says 3.+ gig. Shouldn't this be 7.+ gig?
    Is one stick defective or is it a configuration problem? thanks.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    It's likely that you've got a 32-bit operating system installed, this can only use 4GB of memory total and that includes other types of memory (graphics card memory etc.) so it's normal for them to show three point something gigabytes of main memory available.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +869

Thanks for that,does it mean I could remove one stick and use it in another PC without detriment to the original?

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Depending on the CPU/Motherboard chipset you might lose a bit of performance if drops you down from dual channel to single, but if you're not using memory performance (and not that many things do) there may not be any practical difference.

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +869
    I've just tried a Hyper X ssd in my old (I like old PCs and am changing from XP to W 7 ssd at the same time) Optiplex GX620 Intel 2.8ghz HT with 2G of ram. It does not like 7 at all , really slow and clunky etc.
    But the ssd with W7 in my old tower (Gigabyte board and 2.2 or 2.4 processor with the previously mentioned 8 gb ram is fast, smooth and runs perfectly.
    Also the PC I use in my bedroom (a bit younger 2.6 processor and 4g ram Foxconn board) is great too .
    Would a memory upgrade improve the Dell or is it just not worth upgrading the memory or is it too old outdated to use with windows 7?
    I like the Dell because it is silent and has never given me any trouble in the years I have been using it but if it's not practical I'll use the tower downstairs and the Foxconn boarded PC upstairs.

P.S. sorry for all these questions but it can be very frustrating finding answers without guys like you.

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    The clock speed doesn't mean much I'm afraid. 2.8Ghz with HT could be anything from the Original Pentium 4 HT 2.8C to a cutting edge i7 and as you can imagine there's a massive performance gap between them.

Given XP and SATA I'm guessing it's something like a Pentium 4 HT 2.8E, which is fairly old now. Not many people have tried installing Windows 7 on systems that old so it's a bit difficult to know what normal performance is. One thing that could be a sticking point though is the graphics as Windows Vista overhauled the windows interface to use the graphics card much more.

In particular if it's using Intel Extreme Graphics or GMA 900 it doesn't fully support DirectX 9 which is a requirement to run Windows 7 which may be the cause of the clunkyness. If you don't know then GPU-Z or CPU-Z should be able to tell you the graphics/motherboard chipset.

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +869
    Downloaded GPU-Z - Intel (R) 82945G Express chipset family DirectX Support 9.0/SM 2.0
    Looks like you are spot on, it's old.
    I don't mind, I'm pretty set on using the tower downstairs now, just intrigued about how much difference board ram made between XP/windows 7.
    The tower with the Gigabyte board has separate graphics card- GEforce 9400GT has HDMI out so definitely not as old as the Dell.

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    The 945G comes with the GMA 950 which does have full DirectX9 support unlike the earlier chips so I'm not sure it is that. Does task manager show heavy use in any particular area?

2GB should be plenty for Windows 7.

If the other systems are noisy then you could look into replacing the fans, they're usually pretty standardised and cheap enough to replace.

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +869
    The fans on the other PCs are not noisy as such (unlike those on my VT65!) but I can't hear the dell at all.
    I'm trying 7 on the Dell now experimenting for a bit. (sending this from tower.