Memory Latency figures

bb2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of deciding what DDR2 memory to get and I see the latency figures, do I want the lowest i can get or is it better to get the more reliable make ... i was thinking of getting 2 sticks of corsair, any views?

Cheers

a u gonna overclock your pc?if not,it doesnt make any difference...almost

I will most probably attempt some over clocking, why not, if i get more bang for my buck without shagging my pc then for sure. The mboard i will be getting 'GA-EP45-UD3P' which states (i think) DDR2 1.8v and the memory i am considering is corsair 'XMS2 CAS 5-5-5-15' which has a 2.1v value ... now what i'm hoping that means is that my mboard will run the memory at 1.8v and achieve latency values of '5-5-5-15' but as my memory can run at 2.1v then i can overclock this by raising the volts and then in turn my latency values will rise. Am I on the right tracks?

nope. it means the ram needs 2.1volts in order to operate reliably at its rated speed and latancy settings. if you plan to overclock your ram then you will need to loosen (slow down) the ram latancy timings. but note that you can overclock your processor without having to overclock your ram.

i have a gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3l and that states 1.8volts for the ram aswell. all that means is that its set at default of 1.8volts. if you need more voltage for your ram then you need to go into the bios in order to increase the voltage by +0.3v in order to get 2.1volts.

you should be able to run that ram no problems.

some companies like OCZ state their ram can run at 2.1volts without voiding warrenty, its all in the wording. corsair is a good make ive used them for years. ive got 4gb of corsair ddr2 ram in my ps right now and its running at 1.8volts BUT my ram says on the packaging that its ment to run at 1.8volts.

just to let you know the lower the latancy timing numbers of the ram the faster it should run. so when we say "lower" or "slow down" the ram latancy timings then you actually have to increase the numbers. so ram running at 800mhz with 6-6-6-18 timings is slower than ram running at 800mhz with 5-5-5-15 timmings.

Is there any software out there that will give you an accurate latency reading of your ram?

Is there any software out there that will give you an accurate latency reading of your ram?
cpu-z tells you info on your ram and mine tells me latancy timings but some cheaper ram doesnt show this in cpu-z

check out the bios, you should be able to see and/or change the latancy settings. im not sure if there is a windows software program that does this though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom