1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory for Dscaler

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Kaz, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had need to take out 2x512mb Ram from my HCPC and replace it with only 1.
    I think I'm seeing a degredation in the picture quaility (tearing?) sometimes.
    Is this likely? Is it worth putting the memory back and doing some back to back testing?

cheers.

MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Athlon64 3200
    512Mb
    Powercolour Radeon 9600 256mb
    Sweetspot
    43MXE-1

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd not have thought lack of memory would cause tearing (but that's just a feeling) .. but going from dual-channel to single-channel may just tip it over the edge perhaps.

3. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Robin!

Perhaps I'll do a bit more comparison of channels and programmes. The bit rates vary so much anyway it's hard to tell if it's your set-up or them.

The MObo/processor doesn't use dual channel memory. My office PC "popped" so I bought a K8N2 and A64 3500, which do make use of dual channel memory, hence my nicking the memory out of the HCPC.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I was guessing on the dual-channel. :) If you want to check on memory then Task Manager's simplistic performance tab gives you a good idea of how much memory is needed.

5. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I've looked there and wasn't convinced that I could rule out memory even though it's only using something like 20-40Mb