memory concerns 1.5v or 1.65v

kruelt

Hi all I could use sone help with a memory concern I have. Please bare with my stupidity as this is my first PC build.
I will firstly list the specs of my PC.

AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Intel i5 2500k (sandybridge)
16GB Corsair Xms3 (1.65v) 1600mhz ram
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
2x HD7850 2GB cards
750W Coolermaster GX PSU

Now the problem is that I have read on another forum that the 1.65v ram I have installed is not recommended & that this could void any warranty to the CPU!
Is there any truth to this? And if so can I do anything to address this?
I don't really want to have to buy new Ram as its only been in the rig for a month. Ive had no issues with my PC but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance :D

cokker

1.65v RAM might be ok.

Intel recommends a maximum of 1.5v for sandy-bridge CPU's and a quick google on forums seem to share that fact but a few say they have had no problems.

I have the same MOBO/CPU/RAM as you but an 8GB 1.5v kit, is your RAM running at 9/9/9/24? You might be able to lower the voltage to 1.6v without any stability issues or more if you have the time to test.

kruelt

1.65v RAM might be ok.

Intel recommends a maximum of 1.5v for sandy-bridge CPU's and a quick google on forums seem to share that fact but a few say they have had no problems.

I have the same MOBO/CPU/RAM as you but an 8GB 1.5v kit, is your RAM running at 9/9/9/24? You might be able to lower the voltage to 1.6v without any stability issues or more if you have the time to test.

Hi thanks for the reply :)
It is running at 9/9/9/24 yes.
Ive had a little look into lowering the voltage but it gets unstable pretty quickly :(. I think im gonna have to bite the bullet & get some new RAM. Guess I should do it while there are some good prices on 16GB lol
So guess I will be putting my current RAM on the good old Bay of E

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom