1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory cards

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by martinl, Dec 31, 2002.

1. martinl

martinl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nunew33, your right about the memoery cards... get something big. But, how does one find out which one is for my camera? I have seen some good deals at the moment on Amazon, but don't want to take the plunge without knowing if it will work.

I have a JVC GR-DVP7 which says needs SD memory cards. Do you know what this means?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    "SecureDigital card is a postage stamp size that is highly secure and high storage capacity. It is designed for digital products, such as PDAs, digital cameras, digital music players, cellular phones, digital video camcorders and other applications."

Cheapest I have seen is 128M for £43 inc vat on www.komplett.co.uk

Basically there are several types of memory for cameras, differing on speed, size, cost:
    CF compact flash (2 types I & II)
    SD (secure digital )
    memory stick (sony again going alone)
    MMC multimediacard
    SM Smart media

they arent cross compatable so you need an SD card!!!!!

3. martinl

martinl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice - I have done a few hours of research and begin to understand it all a bit better now! I tried the site you recommended and (naturally) they didn't have any in stock, but did find the same thing in PCnextday.co.uk although I haven't used them before.

Now the next thing to do is get the SW + HW to take the video straight into the PC so I can edit it. I see that this christmas present is going to begin to get expensive! Any recomendations on what is good for this?

Cheers

M

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right. You need a firewire card to capture the data and some software.

Adobe premier and Media studio pro are the best two. Adobe is very feature rich and requires a lot of tinkering but the results are great. Media studio is very quick and easy but has nowhere near the features of adobe.

Your PC also needs to be very fast!!! I have an Athlon 1100 and that isnt fast enough, but Ive heard of people using Pentium 350 no problem, its all to do with how you configure the PC (eg minimising the crap that windows dredges up on start up). A very good site to learn what to do and whats best is www.vcdhelp.com. It has everything you need to know about setting up the PC, video capture, video editing and burning VCDs SVCDs or DVDs.

Plenty of shareware forums and advice.