1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory card Q

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cknighton, Apr 29, 2005.

1. cknighton

cknighton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am a beginner to digital cameras and have one simple question. Does the quality of picture deteriorate once it has been transferred off the SD memory card onto CD or HD? I have 200+ holiday pictures on my memory card and I although I have transferred to CD I am reluctant to format the memory card if the prints will be better reproduced direct from the memory card. Any thoughts would be warmly received.
    Thanks
    Craig

2. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital pictures are just 0's and 1's - binary information. Nothing will change by just copying the files.

Once you use a program to view them and then tell that program to save the file - not just close it - then you can get the kind of deterioration you are thinking of.

For best safety of your precious images copy the whole lot to the PC and then copy them again to another folder where you can play with editing to see if you can improve them. If your edits end up looking worse and you save them over the originals and lose them - you will still have the first untouched copy you made.

For super important stuff you could even back them up to CD if you are still nervous at wiping the memory card.

3. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The images that deteriorate are JPEG's. Assuming you are unable to use RAW format on your camera you can transfer your images to computer and then use a file converter to change to another format (eg TIFF) which does not suffer from quality loss every time it is saved.

4. cknighton

cknighton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers on the files but I'm confused about the print quality. My wedding photographer will give me a CD with all the shots on it, yet would charge me £10 per print if I decide to print one. What's stopping me from having the shots printed by a reputable printer for a fraction of the cost from her CD? My initial thought is that somehow, the photographer's original is a purer source than the CD she will give me and as such will produce better prints and warrant the high costs.
    Or is it more likely that it will have her copyright splashed across each picture on the CD?

5. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    yep, she will probably just put 72dpi website style gallery pictures of about 800*600 onto the cd, when you order a print she'd use the original whcih would be of a higher quality non lossy file type

and yeh she will probably water mark or logo the cd so they aint much good apart from to select the images you want making into proper hardcopys.

jpegs dont deteriorate over time, everytime you save them it compresses further so the actual image quality gets reduced everytime you save, hence why people edit pictures in non lossy formats such as .tiff or .raw

theres a shelflife issue with CDR and DVD R though, not sure on the edxact time frame but they may only last soo long before the actual data starts to deteriorate, which is worrying for backup purposes!