Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Memory Card capacity

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by bstonehouse, Nov 1, 2005.

1. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have just bought a Canon 350 DSLR with a Lexus 1GB Memory Card. Ive have a question that is probably obvious to you all but not to me. With the camera set to the largest JPEG phot size when I switch to any of the camera 'basic' modes it shows a capacity of 256 photos when the card is empty but shows a capcity of 287 on any of the 'creative' modes.
    Does this mean that the photos taken in the 'basic' modes take up more space - can anyone explain the difference. I've not had chance to fill a card yet so I am not sure how many I will actually get but I would expect to get the same amount in either mode.

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Assuming the images are at the same res between basic and creative it's possibly down to the amouint of compression applied to the images - bit like the difference between 'fine' and 'standard'. The creative modes may have less compression applied.