Quantcast

Megxit

nheather

Distinguished Member
Does dropping the HRH titles mean that they can’t use ‘prince’ and ‘princess’.

And what about Archie, thought they wanted him and any future siblings to retain their royal connections.

Cheers,

Nigel

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I hope we will not be footing their annual protection security bill while they are living in North America and jetting here there and everywhere round the planet.

Don't have a problem with them stepping back from Royal duties etc and making loads of Money as long as it does not cost us.

WeeScottishLass

I hope we will not be footing their annual protection security bill while they are living in North America and jetting here there and everywhere round the planet.

Don't have a problem with them stepping back from Royal duties etc and making loads of Money as long as it does not cost us.
Me either.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Same.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
My fears of us forking out for security costs of £7m a year are already surfacing, if true, let them pay if they are going to be making mega bucks.:(

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
Looks like a win-win for everyone. Meghan and Harry get to move to Canada and the US and join the Celebrity circuit which they wanted and the taxpayer gets the £2 million refunded for the Frogmore Cottage refurbishment and a slimmed down monarchy.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Looks like a win-win for everyone. Meghan and Harry get to move to Canada and the US and join the Celebrity circuit which they wanted and the taxpayer gets the £2 million refunded for the Frogmore Cottage refurbishment and a slimmed down monarchy.
Almost. Reckon the UK taxpayer will still end up paying for all the security arrangements. A poll in Canada has shown a huge leaning towards “we aren’t going to pay a cent”. Mind you if we had a similar poll in the UK it would probably have the same result. But reckon it will pan out that they are the UK’s responsibility so we will foot the bill.

Current budget is around £1 million a year, speculation is that this could rise to up to £7 million a year.

I’ve also answered my own question above too. Although they will not use the HRH term they are not stripped of it, it is just in storage. Also they can still be referred to as prince and princess and they are keeping the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

It’s hard to imagine how they will generate income without using their celebrity status, which in my mind still has the problem of using royal status to make money. Be interesting to see how that pans out. On the flip side it will be interesting to see how losing a significant part of their celebrity impacts their employability.

Cheers,

Nigel

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
I can see that we will continue to pay for security in the UK but I doubt we will be paying when they are living in Canada or the US. Once you are resident in a country and especially tax resident then the onus is on that country to look after your security.

However if their business takes off as many think and they start earning tens of millions then I cant see the situation where the taxpayer pays for their security becomes sustainable - they could easily afford it themselves.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
They’ll ‘earn’ far more in Canada than they every did in the U.K. I’d imagine. The magazine deal with the baby alone will be worth a fortune. Makes you wonder if it was planned all along.

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
Imagine if you were asked to pay for the Beckham's security.
Quite - Harry already is worth around £30 million so the investment income from that alone gives him about £1.5 million a year, its not going to take too many promotions or endorsements to make serious money.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Good to see the Royals slimming down. Clearly if the couple live in Canada it would be totally unacceptable if there are any further claims or costs for UK taxpayers.

Why is would there still be appeal for them as celebrities once the “royal who gave it all up” stories becomes old news. They will have a relatively small window of opportunity.

I wish them well and success. Really hope Harry won’t regret this.

krish

Distinguished Member
Why is would there still be appeal for them as celebrities once the “royal who gave it all up” stories becomes old news. They will have a relatively small window of opportunity.
You're kidding right? The tabloids and paps will continue stalking them for decades.

Aj33

When they become “Celebrities” as they appear to want to. The American tabloids and paparazzi will be far worse than our own.

Good luck to them, I just wish we didn’t have to hear of them and their “woe is me” BS from their ivory tower.

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips announces Fidelio X3 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces 805 and 855 OLED and new LCD TVs for May 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK launch now 24th March
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Filmmaker Mode will use autosensing