1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Megaton announced!!!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Sinzer, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    And dam is it big!!!!

(Tokyo)- In an announcement early this morning, Nintendo and Sony executives announced that they had come to a legal agreement over the rights to the name 'Playstation'. The name, which was originaly given to a joint-venture CD rom based add-on for the Super Nintendo, was technically, a joint-owned copyright. Sony has agreed to pay Nintendo 10% of all past and future proceeds made off of the name. This ammounts to a whopping 2.3 billion USD in back-payments. Nintendo will allow Sony to pay the money back in installments instead of a lump sum over the next 20 years. However, Nintendo has plans for their new found source of income. They will immidietly finance a new game studio called 'The Artists Group' which will feature members of Sega, Nintendo, Namco, Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, Square-Enix and more to collaborate on projects for Nintendo systems, and exchange copyrighted properties. The first projects announced out of this new studio are a new RPG using various gaming icons as the central charachters, a new Smash Brothers game, featuring mascots from accross the companies, including Pacman, Megaman, Sonic, Mario and more, as well as a new Sega-AM2 developed racing game that will also feature multiple icons from the various companies. The final collaboration is the recently announced Viewtifull Joe from Capcom stuidios. Nintendo has also promised that completely original more collaborations between studios will take place in the future, but for now, they will be focusing on quality content showcasing the newfound bond between the various development houses. Contrary to internet rumors however, Nintendo has not as of yet purchased any software developers, and as such, all members of the Artists Group will be allowed to explore development on other systems of their own accord. More as it develops.

http://www.consoletalk.com/News/FullStory.php?id=146

It will change the face of gaming as SONY are bound to not use the playstation moniker for their next console. :p

By the looks of it too, there will be some sweet sweet games from the cream of Japanese developers.

I don't think it will necessarily cause gamecubes to fly off the shelves yet nor really create a big dent in PS2's godliness.... but it is a blow to SONY and it is pleasing to see while MS is paying 2 billion to bail the X-Box out, Ninty is getting 2 billion for not doing a whole lot!

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, if this turns out to be true (still waiting for confirmation from some other sites), then this is massive.

If Sony has to scrap the Playstation name (to cut Nintendo out of the cash cow), then all the work gone into developing the brand will be lost. Course, if allowed, they will most likely release the new system as simply: PS3. But, that might also be protected by the Playstation copyright.

I agree with Sinzer that it probably won't sell many Gamecubes, but it'll definitely shoot Nintendo's stock up. In fact, Nintendo may have just done Microsoft a HUGE favour. If Sony has to rename their flagship system, then their sales will definitely suffer against the XBox2. Sure, educated consumers will know that it's the same system, but I hope nobody is offended if I say that a good portion of PS2 sales are from the ignorant public, who don't know a microchip from a chocolate chip. This isn't a dig at Sony, but the system with the majority of the market is going to have the highest percentage of "idiot" owners, for lack of a better word.

I'm still very sceptical about this, though. If it was just the announcement of the lawsuit, then I'd be more apt to believe it. But, it's the lawsuit, plus this massive "developer heaven" deal as well. It seems too good to be true, IMO.

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That is big news, i never thought Sony would end up having to pay up over the playstation name. Should put a slight dent in their bank account.

Find it all quite funny really.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Yes no other sources yet. I got a little over excited and didn't check for any other sources.

Mind you given the time difference and the fact I cannot read Japanese there is likely to be a large delay!

Still a game of wait and see. However, it is still far more believable than buying out Capcom and SEGA. It does seem a little suspect though that they are able to access back catalogues of characters?!?!?!

5. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We'll see, but I can't see Sony giving up 10% quite that easily. Going to court would have been the best option for them as they could afford to drag it out for years.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, if this is true, then Nintendo's case must have been air-tight for Sony to just pay up like that without going to court.

7. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit too water tight for a clause in a 10-15 year old contract that Nintendo defaulted on in the first place? I am sure even the Lionel Hutz could make some sort of a case for Sony?

But we'll see!

But it would be interesting to know which morning this announcement was made, as right now, it is 1.26am thurday 19th dec in Japan?

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I just hope it is true because the games that could potentially be created would be something to really forward to.

The more I think about it, the more dodgy it seems. However, knowing a few lawyers, I know the amount of money they charge for small cases, when you are talking years and years, those costs are astronomical and if SONY thought they would have a high risk of losing, they would opt out for the easy option.

9. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I am sure a company like Sony would have its own legal team, and not have to pay market prices for legal representation.

We are talking about 23billion dollars, remember!

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, it's just 2.3 billion. Loose change for Sony. :p

11. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooops $2.3billion is nothing.

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taking another look at the consoletalk site, they update their news very inconsistently. Plus, there's no name attached to this post. Their own forums don't even have any mention of this Megaton announcement. Starting to look very dodgy.

After re-reading the 2nd part of the announcement (the mascot parade), I'm all but convinced that it's a hoax.

But, this announcement did push me over my 500th post, so it's not all bad. :D

13. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't find anything anywhere else, either. Exciting, though!

14. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    If it has been announced - Why hasn't it been announced on either the Sony or NIntendo official sites......or any of the sites that this group is supposed to be comprised of??

Its a load of crap, thats why!:eek:

15. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have Never seen so much guff in my whole life the rights to those characters will belong to capcom and the other development houses not the artists. and the original sony/nintendo machine was abandoned by nintendo after they saw the huge loss of profit leaving cartridge behind would cost them (remember this is the same Nintendo that loved gamers so much that they fixed prices in europe for years).

The main problem with the Net is that gossip can get way out of control to the point where even respected sites get suckered in if this was true then I am sure it would be on IGN or the magic box by now.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    sorry to put a downer on this but the guy who sent the info has already admitted that it is a hoax.

17. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, hey you guys, I'm gonna be rich!

Why?

I just got an email off Bill Gates, saying he is testing email at the moment, and if I forward it to 20 people, I will get $100 for each one!

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Dam that is a good offer!!!!

Hehe, megaton is amusing........ soz for posting it got a little keen!

19. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need for soz. I was excited for a few minutes.

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked when that article was out in that stupid site and is a fake that they put. Those things just leave no believe on those site.