Megadrive Handheld Console

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Razor, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I am tempted to get one for these for a few classic games (Shinobi, Golden Axe, E-Swat). Has anyone got one of these and are they any good? Also how long does the battery last?

2. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was tempted to get one of these a few months back, but the reviews at play.com put me off Play.com (UK) : Sega Megadrive Handheld Console (Mega Drive) : Gadgets - Free Delivery

''NO save function'' and '' When gameplay goes funny and characters start doing things themselves it means the batteries going...and they go quickley.'' Is what put me off, but still, you can't complain for £28 some of the best megadrive games in handheld format and the TV out feature sounds preety cool.

I would have definately gotten one if it had came with a rechargable battery and adapter (like the ds/psp) but if you have some rechargable AAA Batteries and a charger, I would go for it ^_^.

Craig.

3. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    better off with a psp/DS, and do the whole emulator thing on them.
    if you have one, that is..you get a whole lot of memory for £29.99,with either SD or pro duo.!:smashin:

mine broke after about 3 or 4 uses,and it kept freezing,and just wouldnt work,even with fresh batteries.

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
  5. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    If you fancy a cheap nes handheld these are very good;

4G 4GB PMP Game Player MP3/MP4/Camera/DV/Video Black K on eBay, also, MP3 Players, Consumer Electronics (end time 11-Feb-09 14:27:11 GMT)

I've got one, poundland are a good source for a case. Good nes emulation, also a camcorder, audio recorder, divx/xvid/mpeg4 player, mp3 player, camera and includes a lithium battery which lasts upto about 14hrs. I think gaming is good for about 8hrs. Its based on a sunplus 160mhz chip. Annoyingly doesn't play NES Elite though but most games work. 4gig goes a long way with nes roms and you can fit on tons of videos and music too.

I use a gizmondo for megadrive and snes emulation. Quite a powerful handheld at about 400mhz I think with a reasonable gpu. Rubbish for video playback though.

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Some good sugestions here, cheers.

bonzobanana - I have never seen one of those before. Nice find and cheap too.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Theres more info here;

DealExtreme: $39.90 1GB Portable 6 in 1 Multimedia Console

However the dealextreme version is only 1gig and you'll be hammered by customs as dealextreme does free postage. The ebay ones are better as they sneak through tax free as they charge more for postage.

In theory these can also run full sunplus games, gb, gbc and snes roms (snes is fairly poor emulation though with no chance of running dsp or sfx games and even standard snes games aren't full speed). You have to update the firmware which I plan to get around to.

Best thing about it is the built in rechargable battery and the low power consumption of the sunplus chip. You get a good long life between recharges. It also has tv out but thats only for video playback. If your buying from ebay don't forget q*uidco.

You also get tv output leads and a decent mains charger included. Cheap as chips for what it does.