Megabytes on Hard Drive. (recording correctly)

luckylewis

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Something I have noticed recently when recording “the proper way thanks to GAVTECH” in “FLEXIBLE REC” on my Panasonic E95H, is that if I change the timing it uses around 3 times as much MBs as compared to not altering the time, hence taking up more space on the hard drive, can anybody enlighten me on this please, or am I still recording the wrong way ?. :rolleyes:

Morning.

Flexible record will always make a recording that is just a little less than the 4.7 GB which is the capacity of a DVD... irrespective of the time length of the recording.

The idea behind it is simply to extract as much capacity from a DVD as possible using the optimum degree of compression... that is, the minimum that can be achieved.

So - a 1 hour recording will be [ nominally] 4.7GB. A 2 hour or a 3 hour recording will also take 4.7 GB. etc.

If you do not intend the recorded programme to go onto DVD, then there is little point in recording in FR mode.

Thanks

But I think you might have misunderstood me, (probably my fault) I know that when transferring recordings onto DVD by FR they go as close to the 4.7mb as you said, but I transfer them in High Speed as you suggested yes ?.

But what I meant is when I record off of the TV to hard drive.
When I change the recording time in FR mode, it records in MORE megabytes, than if I don’t change it.

An example is:

Both of these recordings were 1 hour 35 minutes, give or take a few seconds. (I start and stop both time manually)

1st recording I change the time from 8 hours 0 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes and it records 3312mbs

2nd recording leave it at 8 hours and it records 794mbs

What am I doing wrong please ?.

P. S. I hope that is a bit clearer and explains my problem.

Thanks

But I think you might have misunderstood me, (probably my fault) I know that when transferring recordings onto DVD by FR they go as close to the 4.7mb as you said, but I transfer them in High Speed as you suggested yes ?.
Yes - But they are also close to 4.7 MB on the hard disk... as you have made a direct copy by high speed transfer... In other words it is not the act of transferring that makes them that size. They ARE that size.
But what I meant is when I record off of the TV to hard drive.
When I change the recording time in FR mode, it records in MORE megabytes, than if I don’t change it.

An example is:

Both of these recordings were 1 hour 35 minutes, give or take a few seconds. (I start and stop both time manually)

1st recording I change the time from 8 hours 0 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes and it records 3312mbs

2nd recording leave it at 8 hours and it records 794mbs

What am I doing wrong please ?.

P. S. I hope that is a bit clearer and explains my problem.

What you are doing wrong is stopping the recording manually.

In the second example, the machine is expecting to make a programme of 8 hours length fit onto a disk and so it compresses massively accordingly... but you are stopping it after only 1 hour 40 minutes manually so you only have completed 23% of the expected programme , hence the small file size.

Instead of manually setting times, how about using the FR option when you set a timer via EPG?
In that case you do not need to set a time length as it is automatically taken from the timer settings.

Instead of manually setting times, how about using the FR option when you set a timer via EPG?
In that case you do not need to set a time length as it is automatically taken from the timer settings.

Thanks again and here’s the novice again what is EPG please.

P. S. I want to record a programme at 8pm tonight so it would be great to do it the correct way.

EPG = Electronic Programme Guide

Thanks Richard.

I was away until past the deadline.

I hope you got your programme Lucky.:)

Hi,

Yes I did thanks :) But ……………………. I let it finish in the FR mode (after starting it myself) and it took up 3994mbs (it was set for 1 hour 58 minutes) and when I deleted the recording it gave me back over 7 hours on the EP mode.

Does this make sense at all.

Thanks for everything again today

Malc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom