1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mega Stoopid Question

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Garfield, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking at speaker stands and I have a real daft question maybe.

How do you place a speaker with a 21cm by 29cm base on some of the stands available. No matter how much sand or shot holds the base to the floor what the ** stops the speaker falling off the 4 little pins at the top - basic engineering tells you that simply placing a speaker on such a plate on 4 tiny isolators that aren't even rubber that it isn't stable - what stops it vibrating off or accidentally getting nudged with the hoover pipe or something.

What should I be looking for?

2. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    have you tried some bluetac, lots use it under speakers

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    In my experience, smaller speakers seem to work better by decoupling them from the stand with blutak or similar whereas larger speakers work best on spikes

4. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys ...

I'll try the blu tack first I guess although I suppose many would think them large for rears (Acoustic Energy AE300)

Just scared to death they are going to fall off due to vibration or something as the plate they sit on is only half the size of the speaker base.

5. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get a roll of non slip rubber m8 , cheap as chips and found in in-excess shops amongst other places

i had a speaker fall of a shelf in the kitchen due to the cat turning the volume up whilst we was on hol , he must have rubbed up against the volume control knob , so got some non slip rubber and it aint going no where now