mega slow sky broadband - driving me mad

wendy07

Standard Member
Reaction score
:devil: my sky broadband has been mega slow for ages now, phoned sky, got nowhere, someone was meant to call back and they never did !!! It is driving me insane. I should be getting 20m. Done a test today downstream is 1056 kbps and upstream is 800 kbps. According to the speed test I done I am getting 1mb !!! I have changed the socket the first time I called but still having a nightmare. What can I do?? Do not think I am in a contract as I have been with sky for quite some time. Please help cos I want to smash this computer into pieces :mad:

just done another test and is shows:

download - 969 kbps or 0.91mb
upload - 655 kbps or 0.65mb

Please someone help me. I am tempted to try and go to another provider, or are they all the same?

To eliminate internal wiring problems plug the router directly into the master test socket, then see what speeds you get. Also post your router stats.

Hi. I have similar problems. Used to get download speeds of 1.6MB/s but in the last week this has dropped to almost dial up speeds. The router info still says I have a downstream of 14000kb/s so I am a bit confused as what could be causing this.
As usual, Sky call centre was useless.
I have also reset the router and shifted it to the main socket with no effect. The noiseo n the line appears minimal.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
have you put your line into the master test socket to see if any speed improvement

you did take off the plate from the master socket to test didnt you

We also have diabolically slow Sky Broadband, our plan is 'up to 10mb/s' and the salesman told us we would only receive around 2.5mb/s but this would have been a big improvement on around 0.5mb/s that we previously received from TalkTalk but it has turned out worse :mad:

Yeah Im getting this too

I rang Sky and they told me I was getting 18mb but my download speeds arent even 1mb. I;ve changed the microfilter twice but I've still git the same problem.

How do I put my line into the master socket?

Could I also add that the background noise when I pick up my phone is different now too.

Anyone have any ideas?

looks like people are gettin slow speeds since changin to sky from a old isp someone else in sky thread said they was on o2 and got 13meg and they not gettin that speed since they gone to sky

show your router line stats

I've been with Sky for a year and it was all fine.

Only been getting these slow speeds in the last 2 weeks.

How do I show my router line stats?

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 18262 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1150 kbps

Im not even getting 1mb though

shows you should get 18meg

if sky not going to fix the problem or look into it and your still in contract take it further maybe contact watchdog and ofcom

I too have noticed a significant slow down recently after two and a half years of reliable service. I'm on unlimited, synchronised at around 11.5 and would usually get at least 9mbps downloads even at peak times but worryingly peak time speeds have now plummeted to under 4mbps. (okay, not as bad as some of you guys but something has definitely changed)

Has congestion finally reared it's ugly head on Sky's LLU service?

Hi all

first of all - Sky is taking everyone upto 10MB so if your line is capable of carrying this speed you are up for an upgrade.

Secondly, put your router cable into the engineer's test socket in the master socket. You can reach this by taking off the baseplate by removing the two screws from your BT (or other phone Co.) This will give you an idea of what the line is capable of.

Make note of this speed and let Sky know. Ask the help desk to take you through whatever you need to do to get that speed from your master socket - there may be some interference from your internal extensions.

Luck
Sam;)

first of all - Sky is taking everyone upto 10MB so if your line is capable of carrying this speed you are up for an upgrade

There are $ky lines out there that are capable of guaranteed speeds between 15MB and 40MB and that includes $ky lines that presently are struggling to reach 500k.

$ky's up to 10MB service will only benefit a very small number of its subscribers and is still in the slow lane now that Openreach are providing fibre cabinets in the streets. It's a shame that $ky seems reluctant to offer any sort of competition to BT's Infinity service or Virgin's cable network.

Last edited:
Sky Broadband is just slow - full stop.

They run a system which 'apparently actively monitors the line' and adjusts the speed to suite the line conditions.

This basically means they actively drop the connection speed over time, and use the excuse that it was poor line conditions.

I have two seperate lines into my house, both on new cable from within my house, to the street junction box. This junction box has also been replaced just weeks ago, and then connects to a new main above ground cabinet 200 yards away.

Because I am so far away from the exchange, my lines are only capable of supporting a maximum of 2.7MB download speed.

The line which runs my broadband is running happliy at 2.3MB, and never drops below 2.2MB.

The maximum speed the Sky line has ever reached is 1.1MB, and every time it gets ramped up because I complain, it then drops back down again, sometimes as low as 90KB DL speed.

I've ran tests on the lines and they are within 2% of each other.

Basically they are just throttling back the speed, as more people move onto the network, they should be putting some money into the network.

My speed is throttled so bad during peak hours its practically at dial up speeds, granted the fact that my son is constantly online with his COD MWII on PS3 doesnt help but my web surfing shouldnt be that bad. Will have to make a phone call and see what else is available from other providers. Complained before and they knocked off £7 p/month for a year. Currently on Sky Connect as there max is not available to me. Cant get cable either. :thumbsdow

BT Infinity is rolling out around the country now.
If your local wiring cabinet is a new fibre one, then the option for Infinity should be available to you.
The trouble is, at present it costs either £20 or £25 per month, however your looking at up to 40MB DL 10MB UL speeds for the £25 package.
As with all things, it will come down in price, hopefully soon! but at least it's starting to give people options, whereas loads of people were stuck with little to no options, and had to take whatever speed was available.
My Sky broadband is currently running at just under 900KB DL.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom