Mega Drive 2 video connector

<<ERROR>>

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get a 10-pin mini DIN connector (it's actually 9 pins - one is removed for keying purposes); the type that will fit into a Mega Drive II's video output port. I want to make an RGB cable and I have yet to find someone who sells them (and that I can use a Switch card to buy with).

I have a contingency plan of using blunt needles for pins, and holding them in alignment with Araldite and duck tape, but I would rather get a real connector.

The physical statistics:

Plug diameter ~ 10mm

Pin alignment: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

The outer ring is wired to the ground (but I can hack something up if connectors don't have a solder point for there)

Thanks

Nice!!

They're out of stock, but nice. Cutting up old leads for parts is fine by me (and preferable to sticking pins in my MD...)

Thanks.

OK. Vintage Computers doesn't look like they will be anywhere near getting new stock in (as far as I can tell, they don't remove items that they have sold from their web page).

Anyone else have any ideas?

You could try hunting around in small elctrical shops - very hit and miss though. I think the Saturn RGB Scart lead is the same connector as the MD2 so you could hunt out one of those - try ebay.

I've just had a look on gamesx.com, and I think that the connectors are different: the Mega Drive 2's DIN plug has its pins arranged in a 4-4-2 fashion (4 pins in the top row, 4 pins middle, 4 bottom).

The Saturn has its pins arranged as 3-4-3 (same ordering).

I've found a Saturn RGB cable for sale, but I don't know if the pins are arranged the same way. Can anybody confirm it for definite?

Thanks, though.

Another thing: does anybody know where to get non-standard connectors from (preferably internet shops that accept Switch cards). The only local electronics shop for me is Maplin, as far as I know.

You can get a RGB cable from these people www.Videogameimports.com they've not got one in stock at the moment but seeing as they make them themselfs I'm sure if you put an order in they'll be on with it pretty sharpish. I've used them for both hardware and software and they've been great.

I have used VGI in the past for stuff and I agree - they are great. However, they've been out of stock of these cables for several months.

Another cable that they make themselves is an RGB cable for the original MD - they list that as in stock, however. I suppose it's worth a try, though.

I managed to hack up a cable of my own by dismembering my existing RF cable (to get the ground 'plug') and plugging wires directly into the port (holding them in place with Araldite). This will not last forever, so I will try VGI when (and it is a when...) my bodge-job falls apart.

Thanks for the effort.

Just called Telegames (0116 288 0445) and they've got one in :) .

Once again: thanks for the effort you've put out for me. I won't get another cable until my existing one fails, but I now know where I can find them. Thanks, all.

Hi there Error, just to let you know that VGI got one in today (just seen it on thier site under the "new arrivals" section). I know you said you were going to wait till yours failed but figured I'd let you know anyway as the guy at Telegames wasn't 100% that theirs was full RGB which VGIs is. Also I recieved my Neo Geo CD RGB cable from them yesterday and the picture quality difference is remarkable (luckily this one also fits the MD1 too !!). Have fun.

OK. I've ordered it right now. Hopefully there won't be a flood of demand for it when people read this post...

I will definetly look forward to getting it, now all I have to worry about is getting the existing hack job out of the socket - a bit like a game of :suicide: when the araldite fails.

Once again - many thanks for all the effort you went to for me.

You're more than welcome mate and I think you made a good call in ordering it, firstly it coming from VGI you can be sure of the quality of it (i.e it will be RGB) and secondly you really will appreciate the quality of it, I've had my RGB on my M.D 1 tonight and Whip Rush is sooo much nicer, come on Thunder Force !!.

Had a look there - it's no use to me, as they are an American site, and hence do not accept English cards (Switch). I don't have a credit card (and most likely won't get one) so I can't get anything from there. They also don't have RGB cables.

Anyway, I've already got one from VGI.

Thanks for the effort, though.

Error,

What is the quality like with this new lead. I am considering getting one and would appreciate your comments.

Cheers
Graham

RGB is a world away from the bog-standard RF leads. If your TV supports it, then get a lead and you won't regret it. Colours are more vivid and the lines are perfectly sharp.

I haven't got any Mega Drive piccies on hand, but there is this comparison taken from Super Metroid that I showed to my sister. Have a look if you want (although the pictures will not be exactly identical for any two particular comparisons, they are close enough together in the rolling demo to work).

Go to http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~ltls2/filestore/smetpics.exe for a self-extracting RAR of pictures taken with composite (a bit better than RF) and RGB video. File is 2.72 MB in size. No adjustments were made to the video settings between changing video leads, and the input device was a Sweetspot capture card - the only one I know of that can capture RGB. (I rate it A++)

Edit: If you want some stationary comparison pictures where the source is of a slightly higher quality than a SNES, I have some screenies from Super Smash 2 saved on my Gamecube memory card. I can take them in composite and RGB if you want and show you the difference. I can't do RF, as I have no way of capturing it with my PC.

That's a big difference! I think I may well have to purchase one. Do you know of anywhere that does a decent RGB scart splitter as my gaming TV only has one RGB port and i'm already swapping a DC, PS2 & saturn in this port?

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Argos has a nice 3-way splitter, cat. no of 534/2361. All of the inputs accept RGB feeds (according to the people on the uk.games.video.misc newsgroup). It costs a tenner - so I'll be getting a couple for myself.

excellent cheers for that

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom