1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mega 37" plasma post

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AverageJoe, Feb 12, 2005.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spent 10 happy years with a Panny 28” CRT but it’s now time to move on. Was about to buy plasma TV and surround system but came across this forum. 8 weeks later I still haven’t bought anything and to think I could have been blissfully enjoying a shiny new TV – but I’d probably come across this site eventually and realised I’d bought a pile of dog poo :eek: . Loads of threads later I’ve almost made my mind up but still seem to have more questions than I started with :confused: Can anyone any help in choosing the best 37” system :) I’ve concluded it will take few years before HiDef becomes mainstream & 50Hz issue is resolved, Bluray battle over…. so want to enjoy best AQ and PQ now without spending a fortune and defer buying a projector for another 5 years (might even have an extension to put it in by then :thumbsup: )

Here’s what it I’m thinking of -
    - New Panny TH-37PWD7BK (Commercial version in black – B/BK)
    - With 3 year warranty
    - New wall bracket (either Panny’s own or Av-sales)
    - New boards for the panel to be advised (see below)
    - Existing Cambridge audio DVD55 (prog scan component Y/CbPb/CrPr out + digital audio coax/optical out) – was intending to keep this
    - Existing VHS :blush: (Panasonic HD660 – before the days when HD meant HighDef or Hornydragon :devil: ) via scart + stereo phono out
    - New Amp (either Denon AVR2805 £519 or VSXC402V £220), don’t really want to spend more than the 2805 price point if I can help it
    - New Quad-L subwoofer (£700)
    - New MA Radius R225 centre and 4xMA Radius R90 sats (£700)
    - New Freeview box (see below)
    - Poss new Quintro/Quintro+ (see below)
    - Poss new JS RGB->VGA converter (see below)
    - Main use is DVD's and Terrestrial TV, with some occasional music
    - Infrequent use of laptop for browsing (presumably via VGA 15 pin D [external monitor] although the laptop will display up to 1600x1200)
    - New cables from tvcables.co.uk and Mark Grant
    - Not interested in Sky (or monthly subscriptions), Xbox, PS2 etc.
    - Can’t justify the extra cost for a scaler (Lumagen or Iscan) as adds £800-£1000 & it’s all going the wrong side of £5k anyway and if I wanted to spend that much I'd probably go HD rather than SD + scaler

Choice of Freeview box is a bit more difficult - I’m very tempted to wait for the TUCTH100 as the spec sounds great even though the release date keeps slipping, and maybe buy a TUCT30 or something until it comes out. But I’ve shortlisted to –
    Panasonic TU-CT30 £80 (twin scart/S-video)
    Humax DV1000T freeview/DVD player (component & prog scan, can be multiregion hacked for £90)
    Humax HD-7000 (high def, spec unknown, release date TBC)
    Digifusion FVRT200PVR £200 (Twin tuner freeview/80Gb HDD, 2 scart + phono audio, Release date Feb)
    Panasonic TUCTH100 (Twin tuner freeview/80Gb HDD, SPDIF[digital optical out] ** can record 2 channels at same time** :smashin: , Release date Feb)

Q: What boards would I need for the Panel (I understand Panny scart is :censored: , Poss component YUV or RGBHV board either BNC or RCA. It sounds like I should steer clear of the DVI-D and HDMI component board whilst the debate rages on re HD, HDCP/unlicensed analogue decoding, 50/60Hz issue, backward compatability etc.)?
    Q: If the component video BNC is the one to go for what do I use in the meantime as I think it's not due out until end Feb. :thumbsdow )?
    Q: Which is better - Component board or JS RGB->VGA converter?
    Q: Is the choice wither a scart switcher (Quintro/Quintro+) plus 402 or a video switching amp such as the 2805, and which combo would be better?
    Q: With what I am looking at here do I really need upconversion as found in the 2805 (this seems to me to be like a cheaper version of a scaler, e.g., Lumagen/Iscan)?
    Q: Is it worth getting a DVI or HDMI DVD player and using the DVI/HDMI board to feed into the panel (I’m not entirely convinced I need to do this with a 37” SD display and Panny don’t do a 37” HD plasma)?
    Q: With the Freeview, would there be much improvement using component or digital optical out rather than scart, as most of them are just scart?
    Q: The DVD55 outputs 5.1 and digital audio coax/optical – which is better and what's the best way of connecting it all up?

I would appreciate any help or comments at all and apologies if I don’t make sense – ma heeds stal fried :zonked:
    p.s., Must stop here as Mega post alert :boring: and if I procrastinate any longer I'm in danger of my choices becoming obsolete so I'll be back where I was 2 months ago :eek:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Q: What boards would I need for the Panel (I understand Panny scart is :censored: , Poss component YUV or RGBHV board either BNC or RCA. It sounds like I should steer clear of the DVI-D and HDMI component board whilst the debate rages on re HD, HDCP/unlicensed analogue decoding, 50/60Hz issue, backward compatability etc.)?

Agreed, avoid the scart board. No point in getting the DVI board as you don't have a DVD player that outputs DVI.

Q: If the component video BNC is the one to go for what do I use in the meantime as I think it's not due out until end Feb. :thumbsdow )?

Wasn't aware of this - I've got a BNC component board in my 42" panel right now, though various boards have been in very short supply over the past months.

Q: Which is better - Component board or JS RGB->VGA converter?

Very little to choose between them, both will give a good picture. Rahter depends on whether minimising cabling from the amp to the panel is important to you.

Q: Is the choice wither a scart switcher (Quintro/Quintro+) plus 402 or a video switching amp such as the 2805, and which combo would be better?

see previous answer.

Q: With what I am looking at here do I really need upconversion as found in the 2805 (this seems to me to be like a cheaper version of a scaler, e.g., Lumagen/Iscan)?

again see previous answer.

Q: Is it worth getting a DVI or HDMI DVD player and using the DVI/HDMI board to feed into the panel (I’m not entirely convinced I need to do this with a 37” SD display and Panny don’t do a 37” HD plasma)?

I wouldn't bother.

Q: With the Freeview, would there be much improvement using component or digital optical out rather than scart, as most of them are just scart?

Not quite sure what you mean here. I believe that there are Freeview boxes that have (or are modified to have) SDI out. Doubt it is worth it with a 37" panel. RGB scart through a converter will do the job.

Q: The DVD55 outputs 5.1 and digital audio coax/optical – which is better and what's the best way of connecting it all up?

In reality there is little difference between the 2.

3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piers, thanks mate.
    I think I read that PWD7 has more PIP/POP/PAP functions but these don't work if I go for a single vga lead into the panel. As the panel is going into a cabinet the number of cables doesn't really matter. So, I guess this means getting say a component board, which gives me vga and component inputs into the panel and PIP would then work using these two feeds. Would this link up as follows?

FVScart1|FVScart2|VHS Scart > 2805 > Component board on pannel
    (Assuming I get a FV box with two tuners)
    DVD > component > JS Tech RGB-VGA > VGA on Panel
    Laptop > swap over VGA cable on Panel (Only used occasionally).

This would mean I could do PIP etc but only between DVD channel and terrestrial TV. I wouldn't be able to do PIP between two terrestrial TV channels, short of having a second component board in the panel.

How does the sound work, as if the DVD goes straight to the pannel via a JS Tech it dowsn't hit the 2805 amp? Or shoudl I just feed everything into the 2805 and allow that to switch and have one lead to the panel and ignore PIP?
    Have I got this right and is there a better way of connecting up?

Do the standard VGA connector on the panel and component board both handle progressive scan from the 2805?

4. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Does the 2805 take RGB in? The spec doesn't say so. It only says component which is different. Scart RGB gets sync from the composite signal which is what a JS-VGA uses to generate VGA sync(s). Also panny component board is cheaper than JS-VGA so there'd be no point in converting DVD component to VGA, just go in on a component terminal board, unless you mean DVD is RGB scart?

Also, FYI, the panny has no colour adjustment when in RGB mode, although users say this is not a problem, it does mean you're stuck with the default colours unless the 2805 can alter colour.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    As cabling isn't an issue and you want to use the PIP functions I would go component YPbPr out of the DVD player to the 2805 (to get the on-screen menus which I think the 2805 has - the 3805 certainly does) then YPbPr out to a component board and RGB scart out of the FV box to JS Tech RGB to VGA converter and into the VGA input on the panel. The lack of colour saturation control is IMO being flagged up as a bigger issue than it is in reality and can be corrected in the service menu in any case.

oops... just double checked that last point.... it can't be adjusted in the service menu, but still think its not as big an issue as some have been suggesting.

6. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'd like to be convinced that the lack of colour control is acceptable but it is not something I'd feel happy about, and yes I do seem to be the only one flagging it up. However, I think it is something a buyer ought to know since when they view a screen they can ask themselves are the happy with the colour as they can't change it.

On the subject of the service adjustments all I read here is that you can adjust the top end of the R/B/G drive or the bottom end. Which means you can compensate for R/G/B offsets or gain errors. That is you can set black to be black and white to be white. But, AFAIK, these does not allow you to desaturate the colours - i.e. in the extreme make a colour picture b&w. Or am I wrong?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    This is intrinsic to an RGB+Sync source regardless of screen or device......There are far more important things that buyers should be aware of.......Have you seen RGB on panny? what werent you happy with? were you happy viewing the same source via component or S-Video?

8. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    AFAIK it is only panny that removes colour adjustment on RGB. I can see their logic. RGB is from a PC so doesn't need a colour knob. However, their logic is flawed as we are coming from scart RGB and not from a PC. If the panny scart board wasn't pants then there might not be this problem, although since RGsB via the RGB/Component board also has no colour adjust perhaps not.

Exactly, you need to look at the picture, but, you need to be aware that the picture you see is what you get. Most buyers would be under the impression that they could tone down/up the colour they saw in the showroom to their tastes since all TVs have a colour control.

IMO the lack of colour knob is a limitation that buyers should be informed of. Either a TV needs a colour knob or it doesn't. I think it does as people's tastes differ. My parents used to run a hotel that had a lot of america visitors and they weren't happy until the news readers look par-boiled :D .

One solution would be a JS RGB-> component rather than VGA. You would regain colour control at the expense of perhaps some slight loss in signal quality, perhaps an undetectable loss. But again, knowing about this panny limitation you can make your own mind up, BEFORE, you buy a JS RGB->VGA.

9. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks for the help.

Component boards are back in stock at AV-sales - had looked a month ago and they were showing out of stock - shows how long I've been looking.

I very nearly gave away my newbee status by asking two very stupid questions but luckily someone else got there first ;) S/PDIF output from the Freeview box is digital audio, not digital video and secondly I thought composite was same as S-video, which of course it isn't. With that and extra help above, I've now settled on the following -

DVD > (YUV lead) > 2805 > (YUV lead) > component board on panny
    FV1 > (RGB scart lead) > JS RGB-component converter > (YUV lead) > 2805
    VHS > (S-video lead) > 2805
    FV2 > (RGB scart lead) > JS RGB-VGA converter > (VGA lead) > VGA switch > (VGA lead) > VGA i/p on panny
    Laptop > (VGA lead) > VGA switch

Why two JS boxes you say?
    Well, this means I maintain highest quality through connections, get PIP/POP/PAP to work between FV2 and (either FV1/DVD/VHS), also can send FV1/DVD/VHS through zone 2 of the 2805 into another room as I'm only running 5.1. Taking (FV1/DVD/VHS) in via component means I can adjust the colour.

The only extra thing that would have been nice would have been an extra JS RGB-component on FV2 to feed into spare component i/p on 2805 so I could send either FV1 or FV2 into zone 2 - but hey, not 3 JS converters in one system, that's ridiculous right?

One outstanding question -
    Q: Has anyone tried the Keene IR remote that allows you to hide tin in a cabinet and still be able to control it by IR?