1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet Kryton, my new HD AV Processor

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Jeff,
    Nice pics! I recognise the DVD drive and the floppy but what are the other bits? Also what case is it?
    Regards,
    Paul

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm glad you like it, I paid a lot of attention to the looks and ergonomics.

Kryton consists of;

3U VATYX rackmountable desktop case
    ASUS cusl2-m Micro atx mobo
    Intel PIII 933
    512Mb PC133 cas2 RAM
    60GB ATA100 HD removable
    Hitachi GD7500 DVD rom
    Sony 3.5" floppy
    bay mounted 4 port USB hub
    bay mounted VFD serial display
    Geforce GTS 2 AGP graphics card
    Live! 5.1 sound card

4. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pretty cool, you have some odd components, namey the display, how does that work?

quite interesting though, respect for paying attention to the ergonomics, but it don't really match the finish of the denon.

on the PC and seperates side of thing, another thing i hought of to make it fit in was to adopt the style of the ibm stealth computers of a few years back where the Ccd-rom and floppy had their own very slim desktop case, only the height of the floppy. The tower, had a completely blank face and was intended to be hidden out of the way somewhere. I don't know how they were connected, usb? Assuming you were willing to fashion your own case for the devices, one could follow that idea with the tower stowed away somewhere. I've still no idea of how you could match the brushed aluminium finish of most hifi components, a box with a flap in the style of a sony7700. I dunno, just ideas for integrating the htpc.

nice box you've created though :cool:

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The display is very simple, it is connected internally to com port 2. You can program it to say whatever you want. It has 2 lines of 20 characters. Some programs have already been wriiten to support these things, you can get a winamp plug-in so that it displays the name of the song you are playing.

The 2 most usefull features of my PC are the front USB ports and the removable HD. I have 2 HD's with caddies so that I can have a live and a development system. I just swap disks when I want to switch between the two.

On the colour thing, it works quite well having the case black because my entire system is a mixture of silver and black. I added a brushed alluminium bit at he bottom of the case to help blend it in.

Most importantly I just finished watching the Rock and the system works flawlessly. Full DTS sound, the works.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Excellent product. I am impressed. I like what you are trying to / have achieved. Something to aim for. I expect my will end up as a Smeg rather than a Kryton.

The removable HD, I have seen similar devices in the fairs but never in black. Have you sprayed these? If so what Type / colour did you use? There are so many shades of black!

I think the idea of the front USB port is excellent, as is the extra display. Did you consider the I-panel for the ASUS cusl2 motherboard or were you after some more interesting info like CD title names etc?

Where did you source your bay mounted 4 port USB hub and bay mounted VFD serial display from?

I take it you are using a wireless keyboard. I have a RF Acer unit but fancy an IR Airport 7100 to allow my Marantz to learn codes. I can’t find a source without paying silly P and P charges. What are you using.

Very impressed, pictures are often better than a thousand words.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Looks nice man! Like the industrial retro feel!
    Any problems with fan/drive noise?

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Nic,

I'm glad you like it, I could tell from some of your earlier posts that we where looking for similar things.

The HD caddy came in black. I got it from Evermax in the UK. www.evermax.co.uk

I did have to spray paint the DVD drive, the USB hub and the VFD display fascia. I found the perfect spray paint to be Plasti-kote BBQ spray paint (B&Q). The finish it gives is just about perfect.

I looked at quite a few displays, I wanted something that I could program to display what DVD I'm watching. The challenge is to write a program that can do it automatically. Details of the display can be found here http://seetron.com/vfd22db_1.htm
    They also happen to have a UK distributer, a company that sells robotic stuff. http://www.milinst.com/

The USB hub is from http://www.starmount.co.uk
    The hub is only 3.5" so I used a 5.25" floppy drive bracket from Dabs.

I have an IR keyboard which I bought a couple of years ago from PC World. I don't know what make it is but here is a pic.
    http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/yerkess/vwp2?.tok=bcDXVA7Ah6_19ezS&.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=IR+Keyboard.jpg&.src=ph

Here is a picture of inside the PC
    http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/yerkess/vwp2?.tok=bcbXVA7AEoa5VEpJ&.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=Inside+Kryton.jpg&.src=ph

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Have 5 stars for the links!.
    I have just made a HTPC and i will be following some of your ideas.
    The link for the front USB is just what i was after for changing my USB force feedback wheel and joystick.
    The chrome strip at the bottom is a nice touch.
    My case just happened to come with a gold strip at the bottom, i had not even seen it as i just wanted a AMD approved ATX desktop case. I had already bought some Plastikote black to spray it, as i have used this paint before and it does'nt peel etc...Paul

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I posted some details of my PC on the avscience forum. A few people are quite excited about the VFD display and its possible uses. For some complicated stuff like getting it to display chapter and time info, lack of programming skills could be a problem. I just need a whizzo programmer to take up the challenge. :)

11. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh one othe thing..well two, paint the floppy eject button unless its silver and i'm not seeing it properly, secondly, what are the two switches and led's?

you seem to be getting quite a reception

12. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    silver sounds good, especially if you do the other buttons in similar fashion as they look a bit unsophisticated.

is it now purely an htpc?

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My plan is to have it multi functional, but as un PC like as possible. I'm currently working on the DVD module, once I'm happy with that other modules will follow such as Music, games, TV with PVR and Internet. Hopefully you will never get to see the OS.

The DVD module is progessing nicely, I already have full control of the DVD player via my Denon touch screen remote. You would never guess that it's running on a PC.

[ 18-04-2001: Message edited by: Jeff ]

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well spotted, the floppy eject button is beige, I do have a black eject button, but I kinda liked the look. It will probably end up silver. I'm not too sure what Vatyx intended for the 3 leds, one is obviously power, but I'm not sure about the other 2. There are 2 switches one is the power on, the other red switch is the reset button. The thing that looks like a round button isn't a button at all, it's just a cover for a round hole. Again I'm not to sure what was intended, I may use it some kind of sound connector.

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  17. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

How are you managing to get the RC871 to control your computer DVD player - I'm intrigued?

Are you doing the programing yourself or getting help?

Keep up the inspired work!

Matt

18. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It's all quite simple really, the front end is done with a gui replacement called talisman. The remote control is even simpler, I have an IR remote control keyboard, WinDVD has keyboard shortcuts for all the main functions. So all I had to do is get the remote to learn each shortcut from my IR keybaord. Nice :)

I will probably have to do some programming at some stage, but I'm quite lasy. If I there is an easier way to do something I'll find it.

19. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superb!

I'm having a play with the latest SDK from Microsoft's speech research division to try and cut out the middle man and do it all by voice recognition.

I have programed the computer to talk back to me but the recognition bit isn't all that reliable! (They reckon 95% accurate - I reckon about 0.05% at the mo!!!)

Best of luck.

20. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Matt,

I spent a couple of evenings researching different control methods. Like you I've looked at speech recognition, but I haven't taken it any further. My main problem is that I don't want to have to hold a microphone or wear a headset. There is a newish technology called array microphones which will work from a distance, but the good ones are still very expensive. I quite fancied the Star Trek style talking to the computer stuff. :) The other thing that I looked at is using a VR glove, again expensive and a little impractical. I can just imagine explaining that one to the wife. Me :"Just put the glove on, wave your hand about and make a stabbing movement when you want to select something" Wife: "But all I want to do is turn the volume down!" :D

21. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always go back to the age-old clap system...

and it's one clap for OK

two for cancel

three to dim the lights

and to mute the amp so your claps work - grab your castanets and dance like a spanish lady.

Oh well, maybe not...... as the shark fighting swashbuckling whisky drinker says to "those old spanish ladies"!