1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meerkat Manor

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Ian J, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This rather enchanting series is supposedly the result of a 10 year study of meerkats and follows the adventures of an enlarged family using a multitude of fixed cameras.

The half hour program is on at 7:30 every weekday on Animal Planet starting Monday just passed but they are all repeated this weekend. It seems to be repeated several times each day but for Tivo owners it's a bit of a pain as if you set a Season Pass it will try and record the lot.

The narration is by Bill Nighy and the script is sometimes over the top as they can't possibly know what is in the particular meerkat's mind at the time but overall I found the first few days viewing quite compelling and when Shakespear was bitten by a puff adder I couldn't wait for the next day to find out if he was OK

I warn you though that you may end up finding it compulsive viewing as I now do.

2. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have enjoyed many other programmes about Meerkats - fascinating animals. Unfortunately, after the first couple of episodes, decided I couldn't cope with the OTT scripting of the narration :(

There was a similar one done by Simon King a while ago, which followed very similar incidents - even down to the snake bite & fight for survival by one of the troupe. He pushed it close to being OTT as he was so involved with the troupe - spending all day with them for about a year, I think. They got so used to him he was used as a lookout point :)

Still find it hard to beat David Attenborough as a narrator tho':rolleyes:

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    i think it was one of David Attenborough's programs which first brought a standalone Meerkat feature to our screens. It was and is the best one i remember. He is 'the man' as far as i'm concerned too.

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really grateful that you posted this thread, Ian. As an animal lover, who never watches animal programmes because they nearly all concentrate on killing other animals, I would never have watched this. Now, I am totally captivated with these delightful creatures. There are moments of sadness (poor Tosca, and Daisy's abandoned pups) but this is how it is in groups such as this. We have a group of foxes in our garden, who we feed each evening. There are six of them and two cubs (now fully grown and possibly leaving now). There is a dominant female and male, and the others always take food to them first, or they feed first. We have had so many plates disappear as they often carry that away too!

When you posted your thread, was it the start of the series? I find it more compelling than any adult soap and will be so sorry to see it end. I quite like Bill Nighy's unemotional narration and think he probably cringes at some of the "thoughts" of the meerkats. i.e. the male meerkats looking for a date (the female variety)!

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,362
    Seem to remember one before the Meercats United and one where a snake was coming near to the hide, and a very large lizard had a go at it and the meerkat sat round like sports spectators. I do not thing it has ever been repeated.

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to have seen that Garrett. I can just picture it though.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to the OSG on Tivo the daily episodes in a couple of week's time look very familiar so perhaps it will be starting again then.

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Ian. Hopefully there will be ones I haven't seen but I shall probably end up watching it all again. Between programmes I shall have make do with watching my old ginger cat!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Oh dear what a cliffhanger - What happened to brave Shakespear and will Tosca find happiness with Carlos and . Will we ever find out.

10. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I've not seen any of this series but I'll keep a lookout for it thanks Ian J.
    I remember meercats united, it introduced me to how entertaining meercats are.
    I often go over to Twycross zoo which is only a half hours drive away and the meercats are one of my first ports of call, followed by the marmoset monkeys as I used to have a family of them at home.
    the prairie dogs are fun to watch as well. :thumbsup:

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We are also fairly close to Twycross and regular visitors too.

12. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to live in Stoney Stanton, Leicestershire, for five years, and used to take my small sons to Twycross regularly.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Guess where we went today :D

Having watched the adventures of the Whiskers family for the past few weeks I had forgotten quite how small these fellas are so we went along to remind ourselves.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A new series of Meerkat Manor starts on Monday on Animal Planet but looking at the schedule each episode seems to be repeated quite a few times.

15. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really good news that this series is back again with new stories. Sadly, from the information banner, it looks as though brave Shakespeare didn't survive.

Glad there are lots of repeats too.

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    wonder if it will still have the game when you press the red button..heh..that was fun :)