1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meedio: How do I bypass Windows XP and boot straght to Meedios?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tk2001, Dec 4, 2004.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I'm building a HCPC purely for dvd movie playback, digital tv viewing and archeiving and playback of my music cds and I want a decent yet simple front-end interface so that I can navigate more easily.

I've had Meedio for a few days now but I can't for the life of me find a way to set it up so that it bypass Windows XP upon start-up and boot straght to the front-end interface. I've gone through their guide but can't seem to find a section which explains how this is done.

Can some please help?

Thanks

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    You cant. Windows has to load before Meedio works.

I can only suggest you put Meedio in the startup folder so that it runs once windows has loaded.

3. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I think I may have the answer - I did a little searching on Google and I have found a little user account detail which allows you to define an auto-logon username and password. To do this, all you need to do is follow four simple steps.
    1. While logged on, go to Start, Run, and type (without the quote marks) 'control userpasswords2' into the box.
    2. The new account management window should have a tick box on the top of the window that loads, saying 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.' Uncheck this box.
    3. Click the apply button, and this should cause a little window to pop-up asking you for the user name and password which you would like to logon automatically. Enter the user name and password of your user account into these boxes, and type the password again in the confirmation box. Press OK.
    4. If all has gone well, the user name and password entry window should then disappear. Click apply and then OK in the remaining user account management window.

Now restart the computer. It should auto logon. Should. :smashin:

To automate the process of starting the software, drag a shortcut to the program into the folder named 'Startup' which is in the 'All Programs' list of the Start menu. This should automatically start the program upon logging on, which should now be automated. You can also drag any other program shortcuts that you wish to start automatically upon logon into this folder.

Good luck,

Jake.

4. mardale

mardale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's easy....

1) Start->Run->Type "gpedit.msc"
    2) Goto User Configuration->Administrative Templates->System
    3) Look for the item marked "Custom user interface" and double click it. (It should be set to "Not configured" by default).
    4) Click on "enabled" and type in the path of the executable you would like to load. When you reboot, it will automatically load that program (lets say meedio) without going to the desktop.

This loads Meedio in preference to Windows Explorer. When you quit Meedio you will see your desktop, without icons or toolbars. To load Explorer into this press control-alt-delete to bring up the task manager. Then File->Run->type *explorer* to load your icons/start button etc.

However, this does restrict certain functions inherent within Explorer you have got used to - like no autorun capability, searching, any programmes which rely on scripts to work. This may cause you problems, but may not. Reverse the settings above to restore Explorer if you need to.

Personally. I put Meedio into the startup folder and set the desktop image as my Meedio background. It's easier and leaves you with a complete Windows programme behind the scenes to work with if you want to.

Matt

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi mardale,

I've have carried out your instructions and typed in "gpedit.msc" but I get a message stating that windows cannot find gpedit.msc

I run XP Home Edition and was wondering whether this procedure is possible with home edition?

Thanks
    TK

6. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unfortunately thats probably why you don't have the Group Policy Editor :(

Dave