1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medusa 5.1 Surround-Sound Headphones.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by 61ShAP^Nev'Duke, Nov 18, 2004.

1. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have arrived at last, and are now up and running on my computer!

Here is my report for anyone else that may want to consider these headphones:

Having looked initially at the Zalman offering, I began to realize that there are more than one set of headphones out there for in true 5.1 that would be suitable for gaming. I learned also that there are the SpeedLink Medusas and the Gainward Hollywoods (Trust also market a set available at Maplins which I'm almost certain are the same as the Gainwards but finished in silver)

The Zalmans were what I had looked at when I first learned there was such an animal as 5.1 headphones! But the reviews for the Zalmans were mixed - they seemed to be loved or hated, many had problems with them and with the sound quality.
    The Medusas seemed to be getting good reviews and faired well when compared to the Zalman offering.
    The Gainwards - well! I've not read anything bad about them at all, and I have to say they look stunning! For me though, the fact that they don't have a microphone made me look harder at the Medusas.
    There are of course other brands - one from a company called 'x-stock' selling on ebay had some 'unknowns' which I found out were called 'Professors' but I could find no reviews at all. On e-mailing X-box they assured me that they had sold lots and had had no complaints.

In the end I decided on the Medusas as they seemed to be getting consistently good reviews, and had a microphone.

Next I needed to find a seller. I looked on e-bay - prices there fluctuated wildly and some greedy people wanted to charge an arm and a leg for postage, so I spent two hours surfing the net trying to find someone who would sell me a set of Medusas at a sensible price and not rip-me off with over-the-top postage charges - I found them here:

http://www.core-digital.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=223 £28 + VAT (£32.90 inc) Postage was £5 - VERY cheap as I bought two of these items and the resulting box was indeed quite big and heavy!

After ordering over the internet I had cause to call Core Digital to find out the expected delivery date - they were extremely helpful on the phone, and have responded to my e-mails immediately in a fun, but professional manner. I cannot recommend this site enough (at least for these headphones!)

The parcel arrived on the date they told me it would, and was in perfect condition, and items (two sets of Medusas) well protected with the packaging. (why two? - A friend of mine wanted a set)

This afternoon I spent some time setting them up (I was a tad confused at first but when I sat down and read my sound-card info properly and the handbook from the headphones which is very well-written I worked out what plugged in and where) and have now tried them out.

I play World-War II Online so immediately jumped into game to try them out. http://www.wwiionline.org.uk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=MostPopular These arrived in good time as a new sound patch is released today!

Prior to using the Medusas I was using the Plantronics Audio 90 which are really very good and I have no complaints at all about them. However, the difference with the Medusas was quite astounding. The sound quality was slightly clearer than the Audio 90's and with no speaker hiss, but immediately noticeable was the superb directional enhancement!
    Unseen vehicles moving out of sight could be accurately tracked until they became visible - before it was slightly guesswork as to where an enemy tank was going to appear.
    Shots fired from my own team behind me could be ignored as I knew who was behind me.
    Inside buildings, listening to footsteps was very misleading before, now if someone is inside the same building as me I know which doorway they are going to appear at and I can be ready! The immersion just gets better!

Again my thanks to Core Digital for not being greedy and for being so helpful!

Do I recommend the Medusas? Yes, absolutely - Money very well spent if you are a keen gamer.

I've not yet had a chance to do serious battle or need comms, so I will report back here on what I think of the microphone and add a little more when the headphones become battle-hardened!

EDIT:
    Still not used them for flight-simming that will be later this week or perhaps next week as I have too many chores to do now, but I used the microphone this evening and it works great - those listening in reported clear 'fives' at all times. In the confusion of battle with stuff happening all around it was far easier to keep track of position (audibly) of other people and objects

2. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait a tic... 5.1 headphones for £32? That seems suspiciously low, am I missing something here?

3. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear not - I have a pair and the sound quality is rather good (be sure to turn the bass down on your PC as mine tended to rattle with large amounts of bass). I think that they are an unknown company (here, at least) trying to get off the ground with low prices. In any case, they make good stuff, so give them a hand and buy a pair.

You can get spare pairs of the headphones (the supplied amplifier can take 2 pairs at once!) from www.afterhours.co.uk for £11.75.

The one gripe that I have with my set is that the jack seems to be a bit flaky - the outer casing (the metal part that you would grip) has come off the inner metal ground/sheath and I can no longer pull the headphones out of the amp without some serious effort (not just physical - I have to find a way to remove the plug without tearing wires). Also, the innards of the jack seem a bit flaky also, as I repeatedly lost the sound from one of my rear speakers (I do not remember which) whenever I stretched the cable a particular way.

4. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff-O

Nothing suspicious whatsoever - I just shopped around for ages looking for who would give me the best price on the Medusas - if you don't believe me phone the people up at the link I gave. They are extremely helpful on the phone too.
    I bought two sets because a friend of mine also wanted a set. He too is dead chuffed with them.

I have the headphones and use them in Flight Sim 2004, IL-2 Sturmovik, but they come into their own in World War II Online. They have transformed the game totally!

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Just ordered some. Hope they're good!

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    Can you be a bit more specific? Is there little bass before these start distorting?

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    Looking at the price and the lack of reviews anywhere for these, I think I'm going to give them a miss, can't see these doing any material well... (though I might be wrong ofc:D )

8. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

I have the medusa 5.1 headphones, i bought them from play and i have them connect to the 5.1 audio outs of my dvd player and they do work very well,here is a review i found

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Yup,Ive had these for about 6 months,no problems and they are a quality set of phones.TBH Ive mainly used them for gaming and occasionally listening to music whilst browsing/gambling so cant really comment on the quality of the sound for dvd playback but for gaming they are spot on and I think you would have to spend serious amounts of money to get better results ;)

10. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Quite fancy a pair of these but I've got a question on the microphone
    Is there an option to mute it only?

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The mic is mutable from your soundcard mixer, or you can simply not plug it in if you don't want to use it.

12. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    I was just thinking of the practicalities of muting during an online game - might be a bit off hassle to cut the mic off if you have to switch to your soundcard mixer or even pull the plug out each time you don't want to be heard over the mic.

I think I need to look at one with mic muting as an option.

13. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  14. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Not sure how 2 would help with the mic?

Amp looks like it only has a volume and 2 jacks for the headphones - looks to be all in or nothing for the headset.

Pity the 5.1 sound seems really sweet to have ...

15. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a nice amount of bass, as these have their own dedicated woofers for each side. It's just that they rattle if the bass is at the level needed for my other 'phones (Philips SBC HP840). The quality is good, being a little below the Philips that I have.

16. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wonder if anyone who has these headphones can help me settig them up. I've lost the original Instructions and made the mistake of unplugging them to tidy up my desk.

I've played around with the cables from the headphones to my Soundblaster Adugy 2 ZX (No other speakers, so only the headphones).

My problem is that when I think I've got it right (based on the soundblasters sound check), but the sub is not noticiable enough. If I swap the wires I get a satisfiyng sub, but the soundblaster check is picking them up all wrong. eg.. center is right rear.

If anyone uses the same setup can they tell me which colour wire plugs into which socket on the soundblaster 2 ZS board

17. moiee

moiee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant seem to set up mine properly for 5.1 sound. I have a SB LIVE! Audio card but dunno which of the coloured leads go into the sound card. I can get stereo sound ok but not anything more. When I turn the center or rear volume up on the headphones i can't hear any sound. Any help on setting them up correctly would be greatly appreciated. I've had them for six months and would like to play HL2 in 5.1 rather than stereo. Thanks.

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do I need a dedicated 5.1 sound card for my pc for these headphones?
    The sound card on my mother board has a coaxial spdif-out, would just connecting these headphones to the spdif jack do, or is this jack just for 5.1 audio films on dvd.

19. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You need a 5.1 soundcard with analogue out's. The medusa amp does not have any digital inputs.

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks Barrie...I do have a spare 4.1 sound card that could probably use.

21. gamerfreak2002

gamerfreak2002
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone have experience with these two sets of headphones? I read good reviews for both. I'd like to know which would have the best sound placement for 5.1 gaming. I tried the 751Bs and while the sound was quite good I couldn't always tell the difference between the front and rear channels. If it is easy to tell the difference on the Medusa's then I'll buy a pair.