1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medusa 5.1 bass problem

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Elmer, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Elmer

Elmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well I finally plumped for a medusa 5.1 for gaming. After a bit of fafing I think I've got the wires set up.

However I'm getting excessive bass.

I know in reviews it's mentioned that the centre and sub-channels are reversed and so you need to use the extender cables to reverse them.
    I presumed this was the single cable with the pink plug on the end

I've got the red cable coming out of the sub/cen socket on the medusa amp I've connected this to the cable with the pink plug. And then connected the pink plug into the orangeish socket in the soundcard?

It didn't seem to make any difference though

Can anyone with a medusa 5.1 shed any light on how to tame the bass down to sensible levels?

I'll be getting a separate soundcard soon, but I'm using it with an onboard msi k8t neo motherboard (AC97 audio) atm.

Thanks

2. Elmer

Elmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    After a bit of searching i'm wondering if the reversed channels might only be on earlier versions.

I've seen a few reviews mention it such as Toms hardware

http://www.tomshardware.com/consume...0714/index.html

"The sound out of the Medusa 5.1 is nearly flawless... well, after a few adjustments. It would seem that the center and sub-channels are reversed, meaning that anyone without a soundcard that has these channels reversed (the majority of cards do not) must use the extender cables to reverse the center and sub channels in order for the setup to work properly. This is an annoyance, but once you have your setup correctly done the sound quality out of the Medusa headset could only arguably be bested by a true 5.1 surround sound speaker system."

and

http://www.walibe.com/reviews-47-page4.html

"The surround sound setup as it is, has the centre and sub channels reversed which our friends over at Gurureview failed to notice. I first noticed this during play back of Saving Private Ryan where dialogue was almost in audible and most of the audio was being over powered by booming so loud that the headphones were vibrating off of my head! Some cards have their centre and sub channels reversed which must of been the case for Speed-link when designing these headphones, but the vast majority (including Creative and Hercules) do not. You must use the extender cables to reverse the centre and sub channels and then the setup will work correctly."

They are talking about the headset having a "small switch which swaps between DVD and CD settings" though which mine doesn't have so maybe they were reviewing an earlier version and the channels have been fixed on later ones.

I still need some way of turning the bass down though its totally OTT when I try and play Counterstrike