1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium wave quality poor in VW

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by jfk1, Dec 24, 2004.

1. jfk1

jfk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reception of meduim wave in my 'Y' reg VW Polo is very poor. Sony unit. FM received but no in stereo - tapes ok. "Whip" aerial ok and booster makes no difference.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

2. Highgord

Highgord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would suggest making sure that the head unit is grounded correctly. If you have fitted the unit yourself, clean the earth connection and on the back of many head units you will find a terminal you can bolt a wire on to, try and connect this to a separate earth. If you still have a problem then it could be one of two things. The aerial is no good (or the cable is damaged) or the system is picking up electrical interferrence which is reducing the signal quality.

3. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pc5-91

pc5-50

pc5- 51 ? euro

one of these above will make your stereo MW work better

The + feed has to be seperated. The above are part numbers availible from Auto leads. No more than £15 for any one of them and they will work.

The pc5-51 worked in my passat.

4. jfk1

jfk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Diesel_UK

Thanks for that. You say the parts are avaialble from Auto leads. Is that a shop/chain or do you mean any good ICE retailer?

5. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I work for HYde park corner and fit these all the time..

Firstly need to know what VW and how old... If its pre 2000ish it will need an autoleads 'amplifier' (its just a large diode) to suply the power to the roof mounted aerial and stop it coming back down the same cable to blow your radio up..

Let me know and I will give you the exact part number for what you need and how to fit it..PM me if you like

6. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Halfords, any car audio shops

7. jfk1

jfk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JiMbOb, Hi.

It's VW Polo 1.4CL, first regd Nov 1999.

8. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will need an autoleads amplifier part number:

PC5-91
    as someone has already mentioned!

Hope this helps... you will have a fly lead on this to wire into the iso plug but the part has insrtuctions. need anymore help let me know

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    My mate has bought a last generation Pioneer CD/Tuner (1530?) for his 2000 3 Series (E46) saloon. He reckons AM reception is attrocious compared with another Pioneer head unit from circa 1994. The odd thing is that I tried his head unit in my 3 Series Touring (also 2000 E46) & found no problem with AM. :confused:

Any suggestions gratefully received.

10. jfk1

jfk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JiMbOb and all,

Thanks for your help. I have tried all the solutions but MW still poor. The autolead actually made reception worse. In the end I tried a 3ft length of copper wire into the back of the unit and out the sunroof. Result, near perfect reception, however, a little impractical for day to day use!

It seems obvious that the problem lies between the whip aerial and the plug, and that probably means having it replaced by an expert as I have no idea how to get at roof mounted aerials without destroying the interior roof trim.

Thanks once again for all your help. :thumbsup:

11. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Some Polos have a joint in the aerial lead in the area above the driver kick panel sheck that.
    Also check the ISO aerial conection at the back of the radio as the coax centre is known to break away from the pin in the plug.
    Is the radio is the VAG Sony? if so you do not need the modulator for the turning the electronics on in the aerial base as the radio is built with the modification done internaly.

TMH

12. SimonG156

SimonG156

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On a similar note, my Pioneer DEH P77MP has zero reception on MW. The alpine OEM it replaced was good. I have just done a straight swap. Any advice to get decent reception? I'd hate to add an external aerial as it would spoil the aesthetics of the car.

13. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon what car are we talking about

14. SimonG156

SimonG156

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Alfa Romeo 156 MY2000 (saloon)

15. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try to answer that tomorrow, I will ask my brother . I dont have much to do with Alfa's.

16. mdenjean

mdenjean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, thanks for all the tips.

I have a very similar problem as JFK1 above as I get parasites from the engine / fan when I listen to LW on my radio.

I have benn thinking about grounding my aerial or simply checking my grounding but I simply can't find the place where the main grounding is!

I have a W reg 1.0 polo (i.e. not current but previous generation, the simplest model).

many thanks

Marc

17. gra135

gra135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I`ve got similar problems with my JVC CD/Radio player in my 2002 golf, anybody got any ideas