1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium size LCD TV - opinions?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TheWeevil, Nov 17, 2003.

1. TheWeevil

TheWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this board.

I've been looking for some time now at getting a flat screen to save space in my small Victorian terrace living room. The space I want to put the screen in (between chimney and wall - you know the bit) is just over 90cm wide so the screen would need to fit that. When I started looking it was for 30" plasmas with no side speakers but more recently as the new ranges of LCD's came out I was tempted more towards them.

The screen will be viewed across the room at a distance of 1.8-2.0meters so even 30" is a bit big. I want to use it mostly for TV (via NTL cable) but also for DVD's and PC.

So, I'm looking for a medium size, widescreen LCD display - I'm guessing 26-28" would be about right with as high a pixel density as possible.

Had a hot tip that Toshiba had a new range that was pretty good. Net searching has revealed that Toshiba do a 26" display (W26L36) with 1280x768 res and prog scanning, but on the whole I'm finding the whole business a bit confusing in terms of LCD/plasma/price/peformance/etc

Anyone heard about these or have opinions on other displays I should keep and eye out for? Please let me have any personal opinion and anecdotes you have - that's what these boards are good for!

Cheers in advance,
    Weevil

2. cjc1

cjc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Sony KLV23HR2 now for about 2 months. At the time I looked at alot of LCD and this is the only one I did'nt leave the store thinking "is that as good as it gets" no doubt it was mostly due to the dealers setup. But if you are paying a premium price you expect a premium product.

I also looked at 32" plasma but at the end of the day it was just too big. Having said that a 32" plasma at the time was alot better than a 30" LCD.

Performance is excellent on Sky and DVD's. Not used the PC on it. Havent see the new Toshiba units. Were just announced when I bought. Could wait any longer.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Look at the LG 30" LCD. It has a great picture and has the speakers on the bottom so it's quite narrow and descreet. I'm in the same boat as you really, don't want a TV with huge speakers out the sides and would like something around 26". Another option is the Sony 23" but it may be a bit small.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC have a new very nice 26" LCD set out, speakers under neath and a very good finish, not tacky silver!!!! this would be ideal for you mate.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You have any links with pictures? I can't find a shot of it anywhere.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215