Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Difficulty locating Medion English Manual+Free to Air code

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ginia

Standard Member
:lease:

Greetings! :) Have just bought this hd tv from Aldi in Portugal and finally figured out how to plug it in - via the laptop/printer-type converter box - as I gather it does not run directly on 220v. There are pages and PAGES of codes and I see "Freeview", but not "Free To Air" which is my satellite decoder system. Can anyone tell this hopelessly non-techie how to get this to work? Cheers! Ginia :confused:

logiciel

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I doubt whether a TV with DVD player built in would have a satellite tuner.
At best it would be for terrestrial digital TV which is called Freeview in the UK.
Logi.

Ginia

Standard Member
<Moved from Remotes forum - only one post of each question is allowed - Logiciel>

P12043MD 21046 15" 39cm tv+dvd player
Have just bought this hd tv from Aldi in Portugal and finally figured out how to plug it in - via the laptop/printer-type converter box - as I gather it does not run directly on 220v. There are pages and PAGES of codes and I see "Freeview", but not "FREE TO AIR" which is my satellite decoder system. Can anyone tell this hopelessly non-techie how to get this to work? Cheers! Gini

Last edited by a moderator:

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

I see "Freeview", but not "Free To Air" which is my satellite decoder system. Can anyone tell this hopelessly non-techie how to get this to work? Cheers! Ginia :confused:

Do you have satellite decoder system connected to a dish already & wish to view that on the tv?

logiciel

Inspiration, Pedro! :clap:

Ginia

Standard Member
:) Am most obliged by your speedy reply posting, Logiciel.

Still trying to understand the Portuguese manual. This is a relatively new model and doesn´t appear in most model number listings.

It has a SCART connection and I have just seen in the Technical Details under Channels that it has "VHF, UHF, HF, Cable and DVB-T (free to air)" (as quoted). I do know about Freeview, but my Astra 2A decoder box is "Free to Air".

So, it looks as if it´s OK for sat, but I understand I need the code for my FTA. In the pages headed "Receptor SAT, Receptor DVB-T (DTV, Freeview, iDTV, etc)", there is a list which includes five 4-digit codes for Astra, but none for either Freeview or Free To Air.
I suspect I am being unbelievably dim and possibly could try these five on the remote, which I admit finding daunting... As I say, there are so many pages of codes - 38 - for TV, CD, DVD, remote...

Thank my lucky stars I don´t have a car with electronics - I wouldn´t be able to open the door... Cheers!:thumbsup:

Ginia

Standard Member
Thank you also Pedro!
Yes, am already receiving Free To Air, with a 1.2m dish, on an ancient analogue square screen tv, which doesn´t show the whole picture in the new format. Have also reached the stage in life where HD would be a distinct advantage, especially when trying to view F1 placings! Cheers! Ginia

Do you have satellite decoder system connected to a dish already & wish to view that on the tv?

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
....As I say, there are so many pages of codes - 38 - for TV, CD, DVD, remote...

That sounds like the remote control codes so that the remote also works with other media gear such as your satellite box & not anything to do with the TV having any satellite capabilities.

Does the TV have a satellite (f connector) on the back? Some TVs do have satellte - here usually it's Panasonic Vieras with Freesat but it might be a good idea for Aldi to sell a TV round Europe that has a FTA receiver..

If not, obviously you can connect your satellite box via SCART or if it has anything a bit better (S Video/ RGB/ Component & if the sat box & TV both have any of those)

logiciel

That's OK Ginia.
You've said about the TV, and about the dish, but what receiver is connected to the cable from the dish? Have you tried connecting it to the new TV, in exactly the same way as you did with the old one? What about the alternatives for that connection, as Pedro suggests in the last sentence of his previous post?
And again to repeat Pedro, does the TV have a satellite (f connector) on the back? Although it's unlikely that it has, there's a clue that it might have, in your note "Receptor SAT".
About the "five 4-digit codes for Astra", in what way are they FOR Astra - what else does the manual say about them?

Ginia

Standard Member
:blush:My grateful thanks again, both! I really do appreciate your in-put.
As for the f connector and S Video/ RGB/ Component, this is the nub of my problem as GoogleTranslate can´t handle initials and I can´t reconcile the English/Portuguese ones (I don´t even understand these in English, doh!).
The sockets are Common Interface (?), Ant (analogue or TDT(?), Audio LR (In for AV+YPbPr IN?), AV (ok), YPbPr IN (for 3.5mm jack cable components)?, Headfones, VGA (for computer), VGC Audio (for PC), SCART(?), HDMI 1-2 (?), USB, DC (perhaps for ship´s supply?).
The decoder box is an AXIL Free To Air and I am so nervous of messing things up and having to call in the professionals that I hoped to understand the workings first - especially not plugging the tv directly into 220v, as I gather it runs on 12v only... (Buying the tv was the result of a kindness and €25/hr for connecting scares my budget.)

There are several - separate - pages of codes - each - for the TV, Receptor SAT, DVD Recorder, Decoder, Combined TV/DVD, HTIB (whatever that is), DVB-T/Receptor DVB-T - DTV, (presumably digital tv), Freeview, iDTV, etc.
Looks like I´ll be watching the Barcelona FT on the old one, but no great sacrifice there!
Cheers and best wishes, Ginia

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
:blush:My grateful thanks again, both! I really do appreciate your in-put.
As for the f connector and S Video/ RGB/ Component, this is the nub of my problem as GoogleTranslate can´t handle initials and I can´t reconcile the English/Portuguese ones (I don´t even understand these in English, doh!).
The sockets are Common Interface (Usually for subsciption services on Digital TV [not usually SAT]), Ant (analogue or TDT(BOTH), Audio LR (Extra audio to connect to a better sound system &/or extra audio IN from another device [CD player etc]), AV (ok), YPbPr IN (Thats component video- just a better quality video - used to be used for the broadcast TV production/ editing before digital [good but not as good as HDMI]-)?, Headfones, VGA (for computer), VGC Audio (for PC), SCART(Thats' what you should use if there isn't anything better- it carries basic (composite) video but also can carry S VIDEO RGB ), HDMI 1-2 (Use it if you get a HD SAT box for the best picture quality), USB, DC (I would expect it's to power it from the power supply if it's a small TV).
The decoder box is an AXIL Free To Air and I am so nervous of messing things up and having to call in the professionals that I hoped to understand the workings first - especially not plugging the tv directly into 220v, as I gather it runs on 12v only... (Buying the tv was the result of a kindness and €25/hr for connecting scares my budget.)

There are several - separate - pages of codes - each - for the TV, Receptor SAT, DVD Recorder, Decoder, Combined TV/DVD, HTIB (whatever that is), DVB-T/Receptor DVB-T - DTV, (presumably digital tv), Freeview, iDTV, etc. (I think that could be for the remote control as they make a lot of products that go with one remote & it can control several devices - ie- it's a universal remote control)

Looks like I´ll be watching the Barcelona FT on the old one, but no great sacrifice there!
Cheers and best wishes, Ginia

You should be able to just connect your exsisting SAT box to the new TV with any standard SCART lead for now & select INPUT.. AV1

If the old SAT receiver hasn't got SCART it should have 3 phono/RCA sockets yellow (video) / RED & WHITE (Audio) & use a phono to SCART then.

If the remote control doesn't work with the TV - find the codes for the TV model you have & program the remote control.

logiciel

About the receiver, "Have you tried connecting it to the new TV, in exactly the same way as you did with the old one"?
As Pedro says the most likely connection would be Scart but we need to know whether the receiver can do that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom