1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MEDION 2.0GHz LAPTOP for £899

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr Pink, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to get a PC to act as the DVD player, scaler, de-interlacer, but me wife really needs a laptop. As I have just spent a large wad of our well earned cash on my Home Cinema Room, and we can’t really afford to by two new PC’s, then it looks like I’ll have to get a Laptop that can perform both functions.

I am pretty clued up on PC’s and would have no trouble piecing one together, but I know nothing about laptops. I have been looking at this on in PC-World…

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/mart...ijmcefecfgmdffgdfgj.0&page=Product&sku=805024

Yes I know, I don’t really want to get one from PC-World, but if the thing will perform well within my HC setup then maybe I should.

Can anyone comment on this Laptop or maybe recommend an alternative. I would prefer dedicated video RAM and the ability to output DD & DTS straight to my amp so I don’t have to buy external sound card.

Any words would be appreciated.

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the link didn't work for me...

if you do a search, I went for a laptop for the same reasons and bought similar about 6-9 months ago... not using it for full HTPC duties now, just occasionally.

you definitely need a decent gfx card, pref nvidia or ati... none of the shared memory ones will be guaranteed to do a custom resolution with powerstrip and a projector for starters.

as long as the laptop has a soundcard with spdif out then it will do dd/dts duties... look for it in the spec.

so a laptop of decent spec would be fine for DVD duties.

the scaler/ deinterlacer bit may not be possible though - how were you going to try and do this? dscaler only works with pci cards afaik.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The session id has timed out. Go to any page and change the id to ...805024 and it will work.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks lynx - got it now... (geek!;))

I'd avoid the shared memory or duff make chipset..

the toshiba one at £999 is a better gfx card, model no TOSHIBA 2410-504, P4 1.7ghz, with an nvidia gfx card..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/mart...0&page=Product&sku=777133&category_oid=-15257

some of the more standard oem cases have the spdif though,
    the current "the computer world" store (old time/tiny) has one for about £899 with a decent gfx and definitely has an spdif out..

also buy now, pay 2004.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    One little fly in the ointment though
    :D