Mediocre TV sequels.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by drunkenmaster, Apr 30, 2007.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    After watching Dr Who and 24 this weekend I feel that that these and other programmes have gone downhill and TV is getting pretty boring.
    It seems that a majority of TV programmes after a couple of series just lose the plot and become predictable and dull with no imaginative story lines with bad acting to top it all.
    Of course series like Battlestar, 24 and the rest do carry on with high viewings, but they seem to have lost their edge in the process.

I have seen a lot of TV in the past since the 70's and the same ideas seem to be rehashed with up to date SFX and photography to make it seem like new

Is it just me or has TV become boring more than ever before.

My next mediocre thread will be aimed at movies:D

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,797
    Maybe watch the first season of every show then you might not be bored with the followup seasons. :)

For every bad show there are good ones, The Lost Room, The Unit, Heroes, Kidnapped, Lost, Daybreak, etc. Personally im a fan of 24, and Dr Who. So no im not bored with tv, movies, maybe you have outgrown tv.

3. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    That's just a polite way of saying im getting old:D

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the 70's:suicide:

4. Praxidike

Praxidike
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I think we should blame America. ;)

When they have something that attracts ratings, they don't want to change it, which is why 24 and Lost are still going, despite not introducing much lately (although the last few episodes of Lost have picked up).

When something new comes along (Prison Break last year, Heroes this year), it's a refreshing change..... but then it gets a following season, where they'll probably rehash things again. Prison Break kind of changed it a little, because season 2 was also really good, but the end
    was a blatant set up for the next season, it was kind of like "oh crap, we need to start off a new series next year, we'd better tack it on to the end of this one to begin with

Hopefully Heroes will be different though - it's the kind of show I think could realistically just drop every character and restart, which might be useful every so often.

5. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    drunken Master I have to agree with you about Dr Who, 24 and Battlestar they have all lost what made them good in other seasons. I'd also like to add to that list Lost, Prison break and Nip/Tuck . I'm particularly saddened by Battlestar Galactica which I thought was going to be the great white hope of sci-fi. More annoyingly most other people think it's just as good when it's clearly lost its way... Although I won't say that the acting quality has fallen just the writing quality and lack of quality stories.

Like raigraphixs has already said perhaps it's just the case that you are not watching the right TV shows? Personally I think TV has had a cracking year what with The Lost Room, The Unit, Daybreak, Blade the TV series, Sleeper Cell (season 2 is due in a couple of weeks), The Wire, Rescue Me and NCIS.

I do think that owning your favourite TV shows makes you notice the weaker shows or weaker seasons easier because you're constantly watching quality, having higher standards to be satiated.

Either way I'll be with you on the movies front. I rarely find many new movies I'm excited about anymore and to find a new quality adult action movie is near on impossible. I feel sorry for the youth of today in a market of crappy comic-book and toned down 12A releases.

6. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,245
    I'm a fan of Dr Who. I think it lost it's way a bit last year but it's back on track now. Part of the problem with the American shows is that they tend to make too many episodes each year. It must be very differcult to keep up the quality when you're making 20+ episodes every year. I've been following BSG, the second season was brilliant and I'm waiting to see the third. From what I've heard there has been a bit of a drop in the standard. If so I hope it picks up again.

Cheers
    Bri

7. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that having 20+episodes is very difficult to keep up for quality as long as you've got quality writers on board who have a feel for the show. I think the level of quality in a lot of US shows drops mainly because their main writer/creator diverts a lot of their attention to new projects. Buffy, Angel, Alias, Lost,& Battlestar Galactica to name a few have all suffered because of this. You could also blame studio executives making demands in a bid to please their advertisers or make shows more mainstream for losing a shows edge.

Brian S, do you consider season three's Darlek double bill back on track?:eek:

8. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,245
    It's not just the writers, The actors and the viewer can get tired/bored as well. The 2 part Dalek story has been the weakest so far this year, but far better than the very weak moments last year. See the Dr Who thread for more views on ths story.

All the best Bri

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    dramas will always be harder to keep going continuosly because they HAVE to progress in plot.......keeping a single plot going for more than 3 seasons is incredibly difficult....relate it to books, how many writers can confidently write 1000 page books that keep you glued all the way through and sell to a large audience....very few....then imagine they write a series of 1000 page books.....

whereas comedy series keep it going much better, its fairly easy as they will only have a loose continuing timeline with each episode being its own mini-drama storyline......

I reckon the dramas should be restricted to 2-3 series if they are doing 20-24 episode seasons.....thats more than enough to pack everything in for most storylines......otherwise everything is repeated if its a more factual setting (ie 24).....obviously for a more fantasy inspired show (ie Lost) then you can go a fair bit longer but its still going to suffer if you dont have a full idea of what you are doing and instead write each series main plot before each series....it should all be outlined from the beginning....

10. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,245
    Yeah, I agree. You can throw lots of good writers on to a show but it doesn't mean they'll come up with loads of new angles for it. It's always sad when something you love runs out of steam. It's better to leave with the viewer wanting more.

Cheers
    Bri

11. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    problem i find is that they come up with one idea for a plot line for the first series then nothing ever gets resolved in the next series things just go round in circles never reaching the end and people get bored by the time series 3 or 4 is on becuse they are no further long to a conclusion than they were at the end of series 1

12. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I did enjoy The Lost Room and agree with Knight-Byte.
    But then are we not thin on originalBritish comedy of recent as well. They also seem to thrive on one liners repeated every episode to rivet the humour into our conscience, examples of this would be, "gay in the village", "yeh but no but" and "loadsa money" etc.
    Blimey I sound like an excerpt from Grumpy Old Men:D

13. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,245
    Not keen on that stuff either I did like The Smoking Room, The Complete Guide To Parenting, Respectable and the ever reliable Still Game.

Cheers
    Bri

14. JP73

JP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately, once the US networks find that they have a hit on their hands, they will keep on making that show until it is literally run into the ground. A good example of this would be the X-Files, a great innovative show for its time that turned into a huge mess by the final season. In fact, you could apply that to pretty much any show...I can only think of a couple that haven't gotten stale. The Shield for one and OZ never really became boring or confused in its run.
    I think you are right about too many episodes per season weaking it.I watched the second season of Twin Peaks last week and, if i remember correctly at the time, the networks ordered more episodes for the second season than had originally been planned, due to it being such a hit, and as a result the last 3/4 of the season was flabby and unneccessary, only returning to form with the finale.
    Artistically, I think its better for creators to approach their show with a definite end in sight, look at Life on Mars...fantastic show that never lost it, but unfortunately if there is money to be made, the studios will continue it on and on until it doesn't make money any more.

15. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    in amongst the crap there are some gems though. I could watch Alan Partridge over and over; The Office and Men Behaving Badly to name a couple

16. JP73

JP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Father Ted:D Although by the large, I prefer US drama/sci fi, I think with a very few examples (curb your enthusiasm, Seinfeld) the British win hands down with comedy. The Americans go mad for our comedy shows...in fact, last time I was over, all my friends were hooked on The Good Neighbours (which is what they call The Good Life over there!)

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,602
    4 weeks ago I discovered 24. Wow. Currently working my way through S4, which seems infinitely better than S3.. but still can't match S1. Still can't get over that season climax!

As I've got more money than sense I will get Life on Mars S1+S2 DVD just on hype alone - no TV in halls. Hopefully that will be good as well

I tell you what's rubbish. Spiderman 3. I now put it in the same category as Grease 2.

I am also bored by Little Britain now. They should have stopped like Ricky Gervais stopped the Office. Am I the only one?