MediaPortal Setup Guide

I think the preference is to use Handbrake on the .mkv file, which reduces the filesize from ~20-30GB down to ~8-12GB, but keeping ~90% of the original quality.

That's my preference anyway...

I am seriously considering switching to MediaPortal after the recent EPG outage in Media Center. This guide is excellent and goes a long towards making the transition easier. Many thanks!

From my initial reading the immediate benefits to me would be:
  • Dynamic refresh rate switching
  • Multichannel whole MUX recording
  • Quality Radio Times EPG
  • 5.1 Surround from Freeview HD
As I am a new user is there any reason not install MediaPortal 2 rather than 1? Does much of the installation guide still apply?

I currently use Remote Potato and the companion iOS app with Media Center. There seem to be a lot of different remote access options for MediaPortal including the paid-for iViewer app. I predominately use Remote Potato for scheduling recordings and streaming music (on both iPhone and iPad). What would best meet this requirement with MediaPortal?

I can't answer all of your questions, but, yes MP 1 or MP 2 should meet your needs. MP2 is a very different product to MP1 so the set up guide here will not apply to MP2. I only looked at MP2 very briefly, but I'm sticking with MP1 as it meets all of my needs, including the ones in your bulleted list + Trakt, which is fab!

I haven't used Remote Potato, but it sounds like it has the same TV scheduling functionality that I get with using Argus TV Server instead of the inbuilt MP TV server. I tried it once out of curiosity, and liked the extra functionality it has, so stuck with it. You might want to add that to your list of options...

Long time since ive been here, however yesterday my tv randomly said no signal deteteted even though it was working fine.

I tried to clear all channels and run DJBlus EPG grabber but that said errornosignaldetected.

Now, i have zero channels, zero epg and have a hammer ready to smash it up.

Anyone have any idea why it just randomly stopped working?

Still using version 1.2.3.278 of mediaportal as was working fine and seen no reason to change, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Maybe we should troubleshoot your TV signal first, could it be the aerial / satellite feed or the tuner card that is at fault?

As I am a new user is there any reason not install MediaPortal 2 rather than 1? Does much of the installation guide still apply?

I currently use Remote Potato and the companion iOS app with Media Center. There seem to be a lot of different remote access options for MediaPortal including the paid-for iViewer app. I predominately use Remote Potato for scheduling recordings and streaming music (on both iPhone and iPad). What would best meet this requirement with MediaPortal?

I recently had a play with MediaPortal 2, having not played with it for years. It is really stable and works really well. There are still some areas that need to be worked on, but I personally believe that it is ready for use as it is.

If you are planning on using it for watching live TV from a tuner card, then the setup instructions are identical for both MP1 and MP2 TV Server.

The client side for MP2 is much simpler than MP1 and will work out of the box. Just tell it where your various files are (music/video etc) using the remote control (there is no separate setup, it is all in the main TV interface via the remote) and you are off to the races.

I recently had a play with MediaPortal 2, having not played with it for years. It is really stable and works really well. There are still some areas that need to be worked on, but I personally believe that it is ready for use as it is.

If you are planning on using it for watching live TV from a tuner card, then the setup instructions are identical for both MP1 and MP2 TV Server.

The client side for MP2 is much simpler than MP1 and will work out of the box. Just tell it where your various files are (music/video etc) using the remote control (there is no separate setup, it is all in the main TV interface via the remote) and you are off to the races.

Does MP2 work with MDAPI/ACAMD

Good question.

I have no idea :) - I don't use it myself.

I strongly suspect it would though, and the setup should be identical.

Hi guys. I have a question. Does MediaPortal allow scheduling of TV recordings based on Keywords? For example, any program that has keyword "chinese" in its title or in description gets recorded automatically. Windows Mediacentre had that feature, and has been one of my main reason for sticking with MCE over the years. But I am ready to jump on board MP anyway. It would just be nice if that feature is available. I tried MediaPortal years ago and didnt find it user friendly as MCE but I still happily donated as it is still a tremendous project that deserved supporting. I am sure it has come a long way since! Thanks

Does MediaPortal allow scheduling of TV recordings based on Keywords? For example, any program that has keyword "chinese" in its title or in description gets recorded automatically.

In short, yes, it does, via a Plugin - TV Server Plugin: TvWishList

It can match all or some of keywords to download programmes, and uses the season and episode numbers in the EPG data to make sure you only get one copy of any episode for a given programme.

I've been having various problems with my PC, so I have decided to flatten it and rebuild from scratch. Unfortunately your excellent tutorial seems to have disappeared, along with the rest of PINVENTOR.CO.UK

Fortunately I have found a version on WEB.ARCHIVE.ORG but I'm not sure whether it is the latest.

Is the latest version available elsewhere?

Thanks

@kieranmcc

The version on Pinventor (which is now dead), is the same version of the guide as is at the beginning of this sticky thread. I can help with any questions you might have, from here.

Cheers

Robbo100

In short, yes, it does, via a Plugin - TV Server Plugin: TvWishList

It can match all or some of keywords to download programmes, and uses the season and episode numbers in the EPG data to make sure you only get one copy of any episode for a given programme.

Thanks Robbo100, sounds promising. I will install MP this weekend. Is the first post still relevant to get starting with installing?

@kieranmcc

The version on Pinventor (which is now dead), is the same version of the guide as is at the beginning of this sticky thread. I can help with any questions you might have, from here.

Cheers

Robbo100

Thanks for the reply, I thought that the Pinventor was a later version.

I am using the cached copy as above and am wading through it.

Many thanks for it, it's quite exhaustive.

Kieran

Thanks robbo100, are you using MP2? If so what are your thoughts on it, and is it relatively pain free to move from MP1? I have a TV server running om WHS2011 and several PCs used for viewing. We use MP just for TV duties.

I still use MP1. I have played with MP2 a bit, but not for a while.

In theory MP2 isn't designed to replay MP1, but as a parallel product that does things in a slightly different way.

You can install the two together on a system to try MP2 out, without impacting MP1 if you want.

Robbo100

Anybody up and runing with MP2?

Trying to import my Blu-Ray collection and from nearly 300 titles, only 169 were detected from folder names.

Anybody any tips to collect the missing titles?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom