Mediaportal installer?

dazroth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guyz,

I don't know if i have posted this in the right place or not, but does anyone on here offer a mediaportal installation service. Im based in South Yorkshire.
I'm willing to travel (within reason) to drop my htpc off and leave to set up but would then need a general demonstration once set up or installing back at mine.

HTPC as below:

Antec NSK 2480 case w/ 380W PSU
- Asus M3N78-EM mATX mobo
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Socket AM2 CPU
- Zalman Quiet CPU Cooler with manual fan speed control
- 2 x 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 memory
- Radeon HD6450 Graphics card
- Liteon IHOS104-37 4x Internal Blu-ray drive
- 2 x 1.5 TB Samsung HD154UI HDD
- 1 x 1TB Samsung HD103UJ HDD
- 1 x 1TB Western Digital External HD
- Dual DVB-T PCI TV Card
- Windows 7 64 bit
- Arcsoft Total Media 3

Is there anything else I would need or is the above setup ok?

Can you also provide a cost for this thanks? any questions please ask

robbo100 has just setup a complete setup guide for mediaportal which if followed should have you setup in no time- Its a sticky at the top of the page.- mediaportal is just software, so there wont be a commercial business setup for installing it, if youre lucky youl have a local user but honestly its not needed.

Always go it yourself, that way if it breaks, you know how to fix it.

Grangey is right, you will need to understand how to administer your system, and the 4 hours or so spent setting it up will be the perfect training.

If you do get someone to set it up for you, they need to setup the DVB-T tuning using your local transmitter, otherwise your TV won't get any channels when they return it to you.

Maybe I should charge for my guide :smile:

Thanks guyz,

How many hours?I'm not that techi minded, it will take me that just to read your setup guide lol. I once had a go about 2 years back and it did my head in. I ended up buying a mede8er box and loading YAMJ on it but now decided to go back down the HTPC route, and from what I read mediaportal is still the prefered choice IMO. I probs could set the tuner up lol if eveything else was done and yes Robbo maybe u should charge but only after mine has been set up ;)

So as someone looking for such a service, what would you expect to pay someone?

So as someone looking for such a service, what would you expect to pay someone?

Hi Robbo,

Thats a hard one because different people/trades have different rates, what is the minimum wage these days lol. It could be a day rate or ÂŁ10.00 per hour if less than a day, just trying to throw a few figures about and obviously is cash and i don't know how long will take (ps don't forget you guys thrive on doing stuff like this:D) or I could tell you what i would like to achieve and then PM me a quote?

Or you tell me what you can do or offer me and PM me a quote?

I didn't mean to get your hopes up, I am not in that business, I was just intrigued as to how much someone would pay.

I earn enough as a brain surgeon!

Robbo100

daz- seriously, man up, follow the guide, figure it out yourself. There is no point setting something up that could fail very easily and having no idea how to sort it.

If youre not willing to put the man hours in with mediaportal, spend 15 minutes instead and simply use XBMC for all your media and in my guide utilise the 7MC tv playback option. Simples. Forget about paying someone to do it as it would be a complete waste of time.

Yeah agree with above posts just take the time to try your self and ask questions in relevant thread when you get stuck, that way it's free. If you were to pay someone I think you would be lucky to get it for ÂŁ10 an hour. Do u not have any IT mates who could help?

Dazroth, as others have said you really should do it yourself. Its software! - the worst that can happen is you have uninstall it.

Robbos guide covers the basics of the install and you can't go too far wrong. If you are really having problems or you are trying to do something more complicated, then send me a PM, and I don't mind spending a bit of time in a chatroom or something to help you out - no charge ;)

For a company to do what you want ÂŁ10 is well under budget. It would be ÂŁ30-50/hr and about 3 or 4 hours work I would have estimated. We have set people's machines up and installed them but its not a cheap option

Being in Leeds we would be ideal, but setting up yourself and learning is a great little project. We'd be happy to help but as the rest of the guys intimate its not too difficult to have a go yourself and use the forums as backup

Another thing to realise it that it will need on-going support or tweaking so the sooner you learn the basics the better.

If you jump in now, you'll be in the company of many others who are following Robbo's tutorial so there'll plenty of support around.

I am feeling the pressure of the community upon my shoulders :)

Best I finish the guide ASAP then!

From my perspective, as someone who has setup systems for people before, it is an utter pain in the backside for exactly the reasons stated above. Every time they have a little problem with their system, I get a phone call asking for help. Becasue they don't understand how the system is working and why, they find it difficult to explain the problem and it can get a little stressful.

It really is easy. JFDI :)

daz- seriously, man up, follow the guide, figure it out yourself. There is no point setting something up that could fail very easily and having no idea how to sort it.

If youre not willing to put the man hours in with mediaportal, spend 15 minutes instead and simply use XBMC for all your media and in my guide utilise the 7MC tv playback option. Simples. Forget about paying someone to do it as it would be a complete waste of time.

Its because i tried it a few years ago and there wasn't much of a guide out then(a few bad experiences probs put me off) looks like il give it another go ta

Dazroth, as others have said you really should do it yourself. Its software! - the worst that can happen is you have uninstall it.

Robbos guide covers the basics of the install and you can't go too far wrong. If you are really having problems or you are trying to do something more complicated, then send me a PM, and I don't mind spending a bit of time in a chatroom or something to help you out - no charge ;)

Very much appreciated, thanks for the kind offer:smashin:

For a company to do what you want ÂŁ10 is well under budget. It would be ÂŁ30-50/hr and about 3 or 4 hours work I would have estimated. We have set people's machines up and installed them but its not a cheap option

Being in Leeds we would be ideal, but setting up yourself and learning is a great little project. We'd be happy to help but as the rest of the guys intimate its not too difficult to have a go yourself and use the forums as backup

Kindly understood about ÂŁ10 per hr been well under budget and I was just throwing that figure into a pot to test the water, I was looking for more of a DIY person than a company with overheads if i'm been honest (but not trying to take anything away from you)
I think i am going to have a go myself first to see how i go on but not til next weekend (totaly off subject but out drinking for sons 21st bday in yr neck of the woods - Leeds tomorrow night hence why won't be setting up this weekend)
ps i might be in touch yet to set receiver up with speakers also mediaportal at same time if i get no joy lol.

Nah, I am not a brain surgeon really. I wouldn't lower myself to that :)

Good luck with the setup, and Post back on the guide thread if you need help.

The MP forum is also very supportive and they are never condescending to newcomers.

wasnt trying to tout for business, just advising on possible costs :)

have a good night around town. dont go in at the weekend since I got chased with a knife :) but dont let that put you off! anyway too old now lol.

OK, the guide should be in a fit state for you to try doing an install now. There are some non-essential bits that I will complete over the next week.

Please let me have feedback and corrections if necessary.

Thanks

Robbo100

Graham.myers - it wasn't someone you sold an HTPC to was it? :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom