MediaPortal HTPC Heaven!

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by CHBMB, Nov 26, 2010.

1. CHBMB

CHBMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    After my earlier forays into HTPC with initially a HDX-1100 and then an Acer Revo 3610, I finally have a setup that works!

Built it using this guide

CPU: Core i3 530
    Motherboard: MSI P55A-G55
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz TwinX
    Graphics Card (ATI):Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    TV Tuner 1: KWorld PE355-2T Dual DVB-T
    TV Tuner 2: Peak 221544AGPK Dual DVB-T
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken BIG Quiet Low Profile
    Case Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-R8 80mm Silent Case Fan
    System HD: OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
    Recordings HD: Samsung SpinPoint M7 500GB 5400RPM SATA-II 8MB Cache
    Optical Drive: LiteOn iHOS104 4x BD-ROM SATA Blu-Ray Drive
    Case: Zalman HD 503
    PSU: Be Quiet Special Edition White 600W E7 Modular PSU
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One
    Remote Receiver: Maplins MCE Remote
    Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge

All connected to my Onkyo amp with HDMI and then on to my television.
    All my music, movies etc stored on my WHS upstairs.

Software I've used is Mediaportal 1.1.1.0 with For The Record for my TV tuners, Plugins: Moving Pictures, MP-TV Series, Infoservice for News Headlines, Default Music and Weather from MediaPortal, Intelligent Frame Correction, Mini Display for my LCD, Dynamic Refresh Rate. I'm grabbing my EPG data with a digiguide subscription, XMLTV GUI and the DG2XML extension.

I'm using the Maya and Streamed MP skins, both set up and can switch between them as the fancy takes me!

Bushbrother over on the For The Record forums
    has published a fantastic guide to a setup very similar to mine, unfortunately for me I'd more or less finished doing it by myself by the time he released it!

Was it worth it?

Well there's been a lot of frustration on occassion from my girlfriend. Many phonecalls when I'm at work "The TV's not working...AGAIN!" Most of these were when I was trying to use the Revo with USB tuners and Mediaportal. But for me it's worth it, it has cost far more than I ever intended and taken far more time. But I've finally achieved what I set out to do, a HTPC that can play my movies, music and pictures and function as a freeview STB. Looks great in my lounge and is now very reliable and spend most of it's time in S3 sleep.

It's working tiptop so I've turned off Windows updates and backed up a system image to my D: drive and copied that over to my server. So can get it up and running within about twenty minutes if I have a catastrophic software failure.

So guys, if you enjoy a challenge go for it, don't necessarily expect it to be plain sailing. But it can be done.

For all the people whose threads I've perused over many a night, Wolvers, Razor, DaveyBryce spring to mind undoubtedly there are many others whose names escape me THANK YOU! :hiya:

Only problem is, not sure what I'm going to do with all my free time now. Guess I'll just have to watch a bit of tele!:D

2. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    thats some nice equipment very similar to my htpc ,ive been installing oz solid state drives in my builds they boot up win 7 32 in 20 seconds:D