MediaLight Mk2 Flex TV Bias Lighting Review & Comments

I use an LED Strip Light designed for under cabinet use and for indirect lighting behind/under furniture etc. It is placed centrally behind my 55" TV in my Bedroom . It provides an excellent white bias light. It transforms my viewing pleasure enormously. Much more to the point though is the price. It cost less than £10, has been in use for 5 years with a life expectancy of 30,000 hours.

LED strips can be had for far less than £10 and a MediaLight would have far too cool a CCT as cabinet lighting, although with the ultra-high CRI, the colors in food would certainly pop. We couldn't charge £10. Our costs are much higher than that, so that market is out for us.

I know of only one person who used MediaLights as cabinet lighting. He's a fairly well-known calibration trainer in the TV world, having worked as a major THX instructor. He once asked me for a sample to demonstrate to his classes, but he ended up using it for his kitchen. He's known moves like that, as I learned over beers at the last NAB :laugh: (hopefully not truly the last NAB).

I use an LED Strip Light designed for under cabinet use and for indirect lighting behind/under furniture etc. It is placed centrally behind my 55" TV in my Bedroom . It provides an excellent white bias light. It transforms my viewing pleasure enormously. Much more to the point though is the price. It cost less than £10, has been in use for 5 years with a life expectancy of 30,000 hours.

Last edited:

Apologies. I’m allowed to provide general info and answers, but I’m not permitted to share links.

As for 2m versus 3m, the short answer is that either works.

The longer answer is that 2m won’t be at the edge, and the light will be more diffuse at the edge.

With 2m, you’ll be running the lights brighter to achieve the same relative luminance from where you’re sitting.

Placing lights closer to the edge allows you to run them at a lower level and the surround is tighter.

I find that most people new to bias lights prefer to light the edges for a cleaner look. If you are coming from fluorescent lights like Ideal-Lume, the look of 2m is going to be familiar (lit from the center and radiating out). However, both work equally well.

How do you all run 90 degrees corners with this? I started with some tape over the lights just to see how if fitted the back of my hz2000. 2m seems good. But when doing sharp turns the lightstrip don't really stretch or bend that well so I haven't peeled of the tape just yet before I'm sure how to do it. And if I do "round" corners instead of sharp then the lights will point elsewhere than back.

I was able to hide all cables within the backside plastic and as long as I point the remote to the hole it works good. No need to do it from the sofa anyways for me.

More pictures please :)

How do you all run 90 degrees corners with this? I started with some tape over the lights just to see how if fitted the back of my hz2000. 2m seems good. But when doing sharp turns the lightstrip don't really stretch or bend that well so I haven't peeled of the tape just yet before I'm sure how to do it. And if I do "round" corners instead of sharp then the lights will point elsewhere than back.

I was able to hide all cables within the backside plastic and as long as I point the remote to the hole it works good. No need to do it from the sofa anyways for me.

More pictures please :)

There' s some tutorial vids on You Tube on doing this. It's quite easy actually, you just sort of fold it to create a 90 degree corner. Haven't got the link but just search Medialight Flex fitting or similair.

There' s some tutorial vids on You Tube on doing this. It's quite easy actually, you just sort of fold it to create a 90 degree corner. Haven't got the link but just search Medialight Flex fitting or similair.

Yeah I found it after searching some. Don't think those videos was up in the beginning but now I know where to "bend" and I think it went well :)

Exactly. It's good to have it a certain distance from a wall, so you don't get 'hotspots' of light. An even cast is clearly the goal.

what would be a safe certain distance? i.e. not too close for a wall mounted tv to avoid potential hotspots etc.

Those are some outdated videos. New models don't involve folding corners over. Just turn corners. I'd share the new videos but I think that's frowned upon.

Those instructions don't apply to the Mk2 units. They are simply designed to flex in the corners with sawtooth cuts between the LEDs.

Yeah I found it after searching some. Don't think those videos was up in the beginning but now I know where to "bend" and I think it went well :)

At a certain distance you won't have any diffusion but when the lights are placed 2 inches from the edge, you will not have hot spots. That said, about 2.5 cm -5cm works with a matte paint.

We are working on some ideas for when TVs become one with the wall with no gap but this isn't the generation of lights for that.

what would be a safe certain distance? i.e. not too close for a wall mounted tv to avoid potential hotspots etc.

Last edited:
Those are some outdated videos. New models don't involve folding corners over. Just turn corners. I'd share the new videos but I think that's frowned upon.

Shoot them over via mailbox and I'll post them for you. I'm interested in the product, so can't see anyone having an issue with me doing that.

At a certain distance you won't have any diffusion but when the lights are placed 2 inches from the edge, you will not have hot spots. That said, about 2.5 cm -5cm works with a matte paint.

We are working on some ideas for when TVs become one with the wall with no gap but this isn't the generation of lights for that.

thank you.....would that be quite some time away for that generation?

i will look for a tv mount that's 2.5cm plus, i was looking at one of the wire/cable style mounts but they are around 1.5cm gap or less i believe so probably too close to the wall.

@Jason Rosenfeld - Please advise - how far from the edges of the back of the the TV would you install the 5m Mk2 set on a 75" TV (TCL 75r615) wall mounted to a tilting wall mount were the top of the TV is about 10in from the wall and the bottom of the TV is about 6.5in from the wall?

Also if I decide to just have it be "flat" (not tilting) the TV would be 4.5in from the wall on all 4 sides - how far from the edge in this configuration?

Any coupon I could use before I order the product here in the USA?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom