MediaLight Mk2 Flex TV Bias Lighting Review & Comments

adbailey18

I'm sure I'll be ridiculed but I spent around £10 on a led light strip which does the job perfectly for me!

Came with remote, but the USB on the TV doesn't seem to power it enough so goes through my Xbox instead!
20201004_221001.jpg20200622_223836.jpg20200620_112150.jpg

I can change colour but just prefer it being blue, if watching a film I'll normally turn it off, or a dim white.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
we do manufacture the MediaLight and run the US website
Perhaps it would be helpful to have that information in your signature? Just so that when debating / discussing bias lighting, it is more transparent what your particular 'bias' is on the subject? :)

Jason Rosenfeld

Thought I had. Not my usual stomping grounds. Fixed.

Perhaps it would be helpful to have that information in your signature? Just so that when debating / discussing bias lighting, it is more transparent what your particular 'bias' is on the subject? :)
Nice.

Jason Rosenfeld

Not at all.

People will argue that "anything that is not proper D65 is not bias lighting." I disagree. Virtually any color of light will bias the irises and reduce eye strain.

Different users require different degrees of accuracy.

I'd estimate that fewer than 5-10% of home users calibrate their displays (whether professionally, with a disc, or 😬 copying settings). The number of professional colorists needing calibration is much higher. We design our lights for these fairly narrow groups.

I compare bias lights to acoustic treatments for a room. They all help to create an ideal viewing environment. People often spend a lot of money on good speakers and skimp on the acoustics of the room. After all, acoustic treatments can cost thousands. Accurate bias lights max out at about $100.

If you don't need a calibrated image, accurate lights won't really matter much. But if you do, inaccurate lighting effectively uncalibrates the display. There are other benefits to higher quality light, but this is the main point.

I'm sure I'll be ridiculed but I spent around £10 on a led light strip which does the job perfectly for me!

Came with remote, but the USB on the TV doesn't seem to power it enough so goes through my Xbox instead!
View attachment 1379531View attachment 1379532View attachment 1379533

I can change colour but just prefer it being blue, if watching a film I'll normally turn it off, or a dim white.

Benji315

I’ve got the lumioodle on my C8 OLED, I do find sometimes I prefer it and sometimes I don’t which is why this appeals to me, ease of turning off would be great and there is small gap where the kit didn’t quite fully fit the tv which bothers my OCD.

Can I be bothered to take the tv off the wall to do this though is my biggest issue haha

Jason Rosenfeld

If a strip is too short, you should start applying from the center.

I’ve got the lumioodle on my C8 OLED, I do find sometimes I prefer it and sometimes I don’t which is why this appeals to me, ease of turning off would be great and there is small gap where the kit didn’t quite fully fit the tv which bothers my OCD.

Can I be bothered to take the tv off the wall to do this though is my biggest issue haha

Jokerr

@Jason Rosenfeld Seems to be completely out of stock in the UK
Yes i just tried purchasing it. Coming Soon. Using this link

Jokerr

To correct a point here, they won't peel off easily. We use VHB adhesive, which creates a permanent bond after 3 days. It's used to attach windows to the Burj Khalifa, so 3m wasn't messing around.

You might have read reviews from a few years ago (about 3 years, now) from when our older 3m glue was not adhering to certain LG and Sony displays. As a result of the issues with those displays, we switched to VHB. We figured that if we had to have a reputation for being too sticky or falling off the TV, we'd choose the former.

VHB will leave a residue, which you will be able to remove with some elbow grease (and perhaps some Goo Gone), but you might damage the lights (which are covered under the 5 year warranty for this kind of damage. We decided to cover this when we switched to VHB).

If you want to install a MediaLight in a less-permanent way, I'd recommend some black gaffer tape, which is strong but leaves no residue. Electrical tape will also peel off, but may leave residue. Duct tape is strong, but unlike gaffer tape, it will leave more residue than our VHB adhesive.

Even without a glue-based adhesive (i.e. micro-suction tapes like alien tape and gecko tape), bias lights may leave a mark on the back of a display due to the degassing that occurs over years of use.
On no. Surely there are other solutions available to hold the led lights such as brackets like Philips use.

this is a major issue because:
1. When we sell our tv’s.
2. What if some of the leds don’t work or stop working. We cannot remove them.

sorry but this is a show stopper for many.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
To correct a point here, they won't peel off easily. We use VHB adhesive, which creates a permanent bond after 3 days. It's used to attach windows to the Burj Khalifa, so 3m wasn't messing around.

You might have read reviews from a few years ago (about 3 years, now) from when our older 3m glue was not adhering to certain LG and Sony displays. As a result of the issues with those displays, we switched to VHB. We figured that if we had to have a reputation for being too sticky or falling off the TV, we'd choose the former.

VHB will leave a residue, which you will be able to remove with some elbow grease (and perhaps some Goo Gone), but you might damage the lights (which are covered under the 5 year warranty for this kind of damage. We decided to cover this when we switched to VHB).

If you want to install a MediaLight in a less-permanent way, I'd recommend some black gaffer tape, which is strong but leaves no residue. Electrical tape will also peel off, but may leave residue. Duct tape is strong, but unlike gaffer tape, it will leave more residue than our VHB adhesive.

Even without a glue-based adhesive (i.e. micro-suction tapes like alien tape and gecko tape), bias lights may leave a mark on the back of a display due to the degassing that occurs over years of use.
Thanks. That’s good to know and refreshingly honest.
Sadly I think it’s cost you a sale as my budget LED strip must use an “inferior” tape, but is easy to remove and refit without damaging the strip.
The 5 year warranty is reassuring, but, now that I know, I think I’ll just stay with what I have.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Thought I had. Not my usual stomping grounds. Fixed.
Great. I have not heard of Scenic Labs LLC.

Here is what the guy from Dirac has in his signature, which I think is a nice friendly and transparent way of engaging with the forums.

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :)

EDIT: Not that I am saying that you are not friendly or transparent of course! It's just not obvious from your signature that you represent Medialight as a company.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi Steve. My Wall is a pale green colour. I know that is not ideal, but will it still be better with the bias lighting as apposed to watching in the dark?

My eyes are tired easily at night in the dark when watching tv.
Yes, some bias lighting is better than no bias lighting, regardless of the colour of your wall.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Can these bias lights be controlled by a smart remote like harmony elite or hub?
As it says in the review: "There is a remote control, which is compatible with universal remotes and smart hubs."

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi @Steve Withers, what percentage setting have you the light at?
I've got mine set to about 80%, but that's specific to me. It'll be different for other users, and depend on the TV, how it's installed, the shade of the rear wall and the room itself.

Last edited:

FergieB

I've got mine set to about 80%, but that's specific to me. It'll be different for other users, and depend on the TV, how it's installed, the shade of the rear wall and the room itself.
Thanks Steve. My wall is magnolia and I've set mine at 20%. The TV in is a couple of feet out from the corner of the room.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thanks Steve. My wall is magnolia and I've set mine at 20%. The TV in is a couple of feet out from the corner of the room.
I could easily drop it down to a much lower setting like you, but due to the nature of my lounge I'm also using it as an alternative method of lighting the room.

FergieB

I could easily drop it down to a much lower setting like you, but due to the nature of my lounge I'm also using it as an alternative method of lighting the room.
Yeah I think set it to suit once you're not perceiving it to be crushing blacks. I think it's a great product and well worth it. My next addition to my system is the SVS PB-1000 arriving tomorrow or Tuesday. What a hobby this life is!

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
First Job for me tomorrow at work is Checking through our Dulux Machine for the correct Grey's .... so many available

Jokerr

I had purchased the previous version last year, but could not manage the cables. It included these red plastic clips which i used instead of sticking the led strip directly on the tv. Does this new model still offer those red plastic pieces?

simonldt

I've had a set of these for years now (imported from the US) and it's fantastic. The use of a remote where light can be controlled was a huge selling point for me.

I assume mine has the older sticky backing but I found it easy to take off my older TV and stick onto my newer one once I upgraded. I ended up helping it to stick by using some sticky tape at a few intervals around the strip.

rob99

Bought one of these last week and installed it this morning took about 5 minutes really easy to do
will give it ago tonight .

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I had purchased the previous version last year, but could not manage the cables. It included these red plastic clips which i used instead of sticking the led strip directly on the tv. Does this new model still offer those red plastic pieces?
It comes with eight stick-on black plastic cable clips.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published