1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mediacast in Docklands London - HDTV demos

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chris Muriel, May 18, 2004.

1. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I will be at Mediacast next Tuesday/Wednesday.
    I have extracted the HD parts from an email sent by the organisers :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTG High Definition TV Theatre at Mediacast 2004
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See high definition TV in action within the HDTV Theatre, a transmission of terrestrial, satellite and recorded HDTV. Supported by Arri, BBC R&D, Irdeto Access, SES-Astra, Snell & Wilcox and SONY.

Demonstrations and presentations in the HDTV Theatre:

- The first DTG UK live digital terrestrial High Definition transmissions in association with BBC, R&D.

- The new European digital Satellite High Definition Euro 1080 service in association with SES/Astra.

- Professional film making without film. Demonstration of what can be achieved with the revolutionary high definition metavision camera developed by Arri and Snell and Wilcox.

Plus a continuous demonstration by Sony of the Blu-Ray Disc, the next generation Disc format HDTV video player.

Continuous demonstration of STMicroelectronics 2-chip solution for HDTV reception and details of their new one-chip solutions becoming available this year, for high definition reception using MPEG2 and future advanced coding techniques.

Website, for those interested is www.mediacast.net

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

2. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Chris

I already have my ticket - bril to see HDTV in there. It's not been the same show for a few years as there was nothing new to see - all mast head amplifiers and widgets.

Howard

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Last year was the year of the DVR or hard-disk STB
    The other prominent thing (from my view) was the huge market share that STMicro had in STBs with its ST20 (STI55xx) chipset.
    Of course they now have HiDef support in some recently announced versions (certainly they now have reference designs that also include the USA ATSC/8VSB format).
    Not sure what this year will bring yet.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Perhaps the Euro1080 guys will have free cards to hand out - I can receive it via my SAT CI card on the PC.....I can dream...

BTW Not much on HD on the DTG website.

H
    :clap:

5. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ...I came, I saw, I almost came again! Just back from the HDTV theatre at Mediacast 2004 (Thursday 27 May). Very interesting presentation by Snell & Willcox on a new HD capable camera that does more than just shoot pictures (captures spatial coordinates!), a demo of Euro1080 (but I can get that at home albeit on a PC monitor at only 1024 x 780).

The best was the BBC demo of live terrestrial (yup through the aerial!!) HDTV using an imported Australian set top box plugged into an indoor set top antenna!!!!!

They showed live pictures running at 19 Mbits on one channel - stunning is not the word. Then switched to a plasma screen to show 2 channels running at 8 Mbits using WM9 encoding - not bad though some artifacts were visible.

The 2.4 metre screen really showed the full resolution pics off - some snippets of someone doing athletics on a bar/horse thing, outdoor shots with trees. The fast motion of the chap turning on the bar/horse thing showed no sign of breakup. This is the same resolution used on Euro1080 - where bandwidth is no problem via satellite.

Also on show was a Blu-ray HD DVD machine - but I though that was not quite as good - some rough edges showing up when nose pressed to the screen!

A lot depends on the screen being used. Euro1080 was on continuous demo at the back of the theatre using an average LCD screen - and was a bit misty/streaky. Elsewhere in the hall, on the Tandberg stand, they had a HDI complaint LCD screen (with a sign saying it WAS NOT A PLASMA) and the pictures were breathtaking (and they were running WM9 8 Mbit feeds) - gasp making in fact. Seems that a 1980 x whatever (I forget) TV is the one to save up for. On the way back popped into Dixons to have a laugh at a LCD with 640 x 480 resolution...ha ha.

The ATI stand were showing lovely Euro1080 pictures - so a lot will depend on the end screen being up to it.

My Sony widescreen looks terrible now that I have seen the light of HDTV.

Aitch :clap:

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Sounds good. Bring it on, BBC! (That's 1080p WM9 at 12Mb/s please). :smashin:

Steve

7. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    According to the BBC man yesterday,HDTT will not happen in UK till after Analogue switchoff , estimated by the Astra man as not before 2010!

8. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    switchoff at 2010 - it's 2357 as I type this!

H :rolleyes:

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I wish they would hurry up and turn analogue off I need HDTV and this is the answer