Mediabrowser running on customised VMC....

XFile2708

Standard Member
although it said it downloaded the banner it doesn't seem to be showing on my main list of TV series/QUOTE]

First check in your folders and make sure the banner.jpg is there.

If it is two things to try that caught me out.....

Try changing the banner size in the options.......I had mine set too big initially and they didnt show...turning the size down fixed it.

If not , try clearing your cache....its at the bottom in the options menu. Again I had a problem once where some of the banners were not being shown correctly....this fixed it. ( but will slow down MB the first time you start it up as it re-caches all the icons etc )
Checked and the banner.jpg were there so cleared the cache which worked a treat :smashin:

Also had to switch labels off and fiddle around with the banner size under options but got it working a treat now :thumbsup:

Now just need to sort some of my episodes out as the Dog The Bounty Hunter ones have imported but with the wrong episode order so I've obviously got my episode numbers originally out of order which has thrown the importing... lol

Its coming together nicely though - so thanks for all your help so far :clap:

MrBeer

Novice Member
Have you looked at mine on my Skydrive ?

I could knock an anime one up if thats all your are missing..and you like the syle of course.

Alternatively......there are some here which may take you fancy
Brilliant, that second pack even has an anime icon :clap:

Thanks Groove :smashin:

wizbongre

Yup! Next time a 'friend' gives you some mkv movies make sure that they are im WMV format and therefore 360 compatible (but if encoded as WMA Pro they cannot be played on a PS3 - well on mine anyways).

Duncs
Bugger!

So, back to the drawing board then... How the hell do I rip my DVD collection to the hard drive in such a way that I can set up all my TV series with Mediabrowser but still stream and watch them on my 360?! :(

shoehorn

WOW - this is fantastic - thanks so much for sharing!
I'm having one problem though, having spent the last hour round the net, trying to work out how to creat virtual folders, I'm still no wiser :(
Can someone please help - I'm sure it's something simple - at least I hope it is ! :)

XFile2708

Standard Member
WOW - this is fantastic - thanks so much for sharing!
I'm having one problem though, having spent the last hour round the net, trying to work out how to creat virtual folders, I'm still no wiser :(
Can someone please help - I'm sure it's something simple - at least I hope it is ! :)
There's x2 posts on page 9 matey that explain setting up the Virtual Folders for Media Browser.. I followed those instructions today and set them up without problems :smashin:

technics2ooo

Standard Member
Thanks everyone for all the info, I just got this installed and everything is coming out nicely :thumbsup:

One thing I just got stuck on is displaying 720p,1080p on the poster images. First I tried dropping mediainfo.dll into system32 but that didn't work so I installed the full program and still no luck :confused:

I'm running Windows 7 and Throgmortens 710 build.

shoehorn

hmmm - as always, had a thought whilst away for 10 mins and I've done it!
just re-named the extensions of the .txt files I had created to .vf ! !:suicide:
:thumbsup::)
(knew it had to be easy!)

Last edited:

groove

That is sooo easy to fall for........

The devs are building a new installer front end and configuration program that will auto build vf files for you , so no more messing around editing text files soon. You will just be able to point it to where your various data is , and appropriate images and it will build them all for you.

Rumour has it we could be seeing it in a few days time

XFile2708

Standard Member
moz414....(and anybody else who wants them )

Have have uploaded the originals and a my edited folder icons to my Skydrive HERE

Let me know if you can get them ok as ive never used this skydrive storage space before. Just pop them in your folders, and rename them to folder.jpg
Thanks for all your help guys - my setup is looking fantastic now :D

Im now having a dabble with the icon set kindly uploaded by Groove - have used a couple of those icons (Music and TV Series) and wondered if you'd be able to design one thats just generic for Movies as Im not categorising my films into categories at the moment :smashin:

XFile2708

Standard Member
These any good to you ?

Had photoshop open so i just knocked em up real quick

Ive added them to the genres.rar on my SKYDRIVE
Those are awesome matey - thanks :smashin:

Will add them tomorrow and see how they look - not going to do anymore for tonight as spent several hours getting it all up and working today... think i'll be in the doghouse if I do anymore tonight :D

lombard1

These any good to you ?

Had photoshop open so i just knocked em up real quick

Ive added them to the genres.rar on my SKYDRIVE
Great logos, any for tv series ??, i got the older builds running great now, i didnt get date and clock in middle at the top with newer build but i do with older and the config options are hidden, with newer they were out and anyone could change settings, now only way in is by pressing * which i like alot

technics2ooo

Standard Member
Thanks everyone for all the info, I just got this installed and everything is coming out nicely :thumbsup:

One thing I just got stuck on is displaying 720p,1080p on the poster images. First I tried dropping mediainfo.dll into system32 but that didn't work so I installed the full program and still no luck :confused:

I'm running Windows 7 and Throgmortens 710 build.
Figured out what happened. I'm running Win 7 off a Drive labelled K: and thats where I put the dll but I guess theres something in Mediabrowser to look in system32 on the C: drive which is where my vista install is. Once I dropped it in there all the info started coming up.

Anybody know if theres a way to have a desktop shortcut that opens Mediabrowser directly? I don't use any of the other media center features so it would be nice to have one less button to click.

wizbongre

All these icons for folders and stuff just make this look even better.

It's not often I'm genuinely 100% impressed with something PC related (the last time was when I got my first set of Devolo Homeplugs and they just worked perfectly straight out of the box!) This software has done it again!

I'm now in a position where I've got an amazing looking setup but can't play any of the stuff I have! :rolleyes: So in the absence of any obvious way to get my Xbox 360 extender to play the files i think I'm going to have to build a HTPC to run VMC direct and stick all of my media on a NAS somewhere around the house - so, time for my "New HTPC build - spec advice please!" thread :)

groove

wizbongre.....pretty much exactly the path i followed tbh.

I used to stream to my 360 ( or attempt to ) and was always frustrated by lack of file compatability , and the noise of the 360 whirring away didnt help either.

So I bit the bullet and built an HTPC......my original build cost my about £300.....so its not that costly a deal. Since then ive expanded the setup a bit , as when i built myself a new main PC , i relocated my old one to the loft , put a bunch of 1TB disks in over time , and arrive where I am today. All my data is on the loft 'server' providing it to 3 HTPC's ( lounge , daughters room and bedroom ) and they all play anything you can throw at them, and look stunning to boot.

Technics2ooo........thanks for letting us know how you fixed it , may well help somebody else in the future. Im thinking of pulling a lot of info and stuff we have all worked out together into the first post on this thread to try and help others and prevent the same questions getting asked. Its pretty easy to setup but there are a few bits that are initially confusing and this may help.

lomard.....Im sure there is a tv series logo already in the pack ive hosted....have you grabbed it and looked through them all ?

not going to do anymore for tonight as spent several hours getting it all up and working today... think i'll be in the doghouse if I do anymore tonight
LOL....xfile I so know where you are coming from ! They just dont understand we love all the faffing around !

XFile2708

Standard Member

I used to stream to my 360 ( or attempt to ) and was always frustrated by lack of file compatability , and the noise of the 360 whirring away didnt help either.

So I bit the bullet and built an HTPC......my original build cost my about £300.....so its not that costly a deal. Since then ive expanded the setup a bit , as when i built myself a new main PC , i relocated my old one to the loft , put a bunch of 1TB disks in over time , and arrive where I am today. All my data is on the loft 'server' providing it to 3 HTPC's ( lounge , daughters room and bedroom ) and they all play anything you can throw at them, and look stunning to boot.

Technics2ooo........thanks for letting us know how you fixed it , may well help somebody else in the future. Im thinking of pulling a lot of info and stuff we have all worked out together into the first post on this thread to try and help others and prevent the same questions getting asked. Its pretty easy to setup but there are a few bits that are initially confusing and this may help.

lomard.....Im sure there is a tv series logo already in the pack ive hosted....have you grabbed it and looked through them all ?

LOL....xfile I so know where you are coming from ! They just dont understand we love all the faffing around !
Yes there's definately a TV Series icon in there - thats one of the ones I used last night :smashin:

m4rky

Novice Member
I'm now in a position where I've got an amazing looking setup but can't play any of the stuff I have! :rolleyes:
I don't have an XBox or any extenders, but a collegeague at work does, so I am not totally qualified to answer this.

But my understanding was that all his video files (whether ripped from an original DVD or not) are converted to DVRMS format (Using VideoReDo) so that they will play on his XBox 360.

m4rky

Novice Member
I have the same problem.
Its because a VOB file is not quite the same as a MPG file.
They both use the same MPEG compression but the VOB have some missing information that allows you to FFWD and RWD.

I have found a sort of solution but I am not happy with it. Go here
Finally got around to working out why the .MKV files that MakeMKV created would not play.

I installed Haali Media Splitter (with all the options unticked) and they now work a treat :)

dreamboat10

Novice Member
Anyone know if this will work for all my "dvd library" movies ripped to vobs within VMC???, just a pointer.....dont really want to start mucking around just yet.

Although i have got it working fine through the mediabrowser part of VMC, so for that thanks Groove and the rest of you chaps.

Its stunning compared to the old way i had, which only showed part of a cover with no backdrop.

My 4 year old was wide-eyed when he seen his films folder:eek:, the wife, well she says "its a bloke thing".;)

Have a good weekend chaps.:thumbsup:

moz414

Just a quick question regarding MakeMKV. I'm running Vista x64 and loaded it but it doesn't recognise my dvd writer. Does it have a problem with sata connected dvd writers or is it x64 related? Had a look on the forms but didn't see anything related to it.

The wife's gone to have her hair done so she will be away for hours now! Time to put all this stuff onto my main htpc as I've already tried it on my main pc and it works a treat.

m4rky

Novice Member
Just a quick question regarding MakeMKV. I'm running Vista x64 and loaded it but it doesn't recognise my dvd writer. Does it have a problem with sata connected dvd writers or is it x64 related? Had a look on the forms but didn't see anything related to it.
It should work on 64-bit. Is this your issue??

The wife's gone to have her hair done so she will be away for hours now! Time to put all this stuff onto my main htpc as I've already tried it on my main pc and it works a treat.
Tell her to go shopping after the hair and you'll get yourself another few hours :)

wizbongre

Frustrated is the word!! I think I've tried every possible thing to get it working, with the exception of re-encoding ripped films/episodes as I don't see why I should have to do this. Why can't MS just make the 360 support different codecs - I genuinely don't understand why they have to be so stupid about it all!

I've probably got enough spare PC parts kicking about that I could make something usable as a HTPC right now but would need to get it into a HTPC case that the girlfriend approves of! I have a feeling it's the only way forward and has been on the cards for ages. I spent ages last year running Cat5E around the house in preparation... I had a big server up in the loft for a while for this purpose running XP MCE for a while but was so cheesed off with the 360 not playing anything it got retired. So I have enough disc space kicking about to maybe build a FreeNas based system as well.

Mine works ok with my SATA DVD drives so don't think it is that?

don't have an XBox or any extenders, but a collegeague at work does, so I am not totally qualified to answer this.

But my understanding was that all his video files (whether ripped from an original DVD or not) are converted to DVRMS format (Using VideoReDo) so that they will play on his XBox 360.
Thanks m4rky - I'll look into that as a last resort before HTPC build time. The only thing that has stopped me going down this route is the amount of time involved in getting a DVD from it's case to a usable file on the PC that you can watch - re-encoding probably takes ages! Plus, and this is the most important thing for me, there is a potential for quality to drop.

groove

Anyone know if this will work for all my "dvd library" movies ripped to vobs within VMC???, just a pointer.....dont really want to start mucking around just yet.
Are they in the usual Video_TS and Audio_TS folders with all the usual .ifo's that are created when ripping a DVD ? If they are then you'll be ok. I spent a weekend converting most of my DVD's with cloneDVD to this standard ripped format and they work perfectly well in MediaBrowser.

dreamboat10

Novice Member
Groove, they are ripped to one folder per movie with several vobs and info files, will drag a shortcut over to media browser and give it a whirl, cheers.

wizbongre

Are they in the usual Video_TS and Audio_TS folders with all the usual .ifo's that are created when ripping a DVD ? If they are then you'll be ok. I spent a weekend converting most of my DVD's with cloneDVD to this standard ripped format and they work perfectly well in MediaBrowser.
Just to back up what groove has said - it works fine with full length DVD's in standard Video_TS and Audio_TS folders full of .VOB files. this is how I started out messing with this software last week.

It doesn't on the other hand cope with DVD rips of TV shows in this format as there is no easy way to identify which VOB's related to which episode.

I've just downloaded the trial of VideoReDo to see how it goes. It manages to convert a 40 minute episode of Lost from raw VOB to DVR-MS format in less than a minute which is a lot better than I thought, and there doesn't appear to be any noticable quality loss. So I was getting all excited that maybe I'd found a solution but then noticed I was only getting analoge stereo sound - not the 5.1 DD soundtrack I would expect - playing on my Xbox360 extender. I'm not sure what is causing this - is it a limitation of the 360, VMC, or the conversion performed in VideoReDo? Will have to have a proper play but it's a step forward for others who might want to use this with their 360 and aren't as anal as me about quality and sound!

dreamboat10

Novice Member
Groove, they work as you thought but slight problem i have is the chapters which used to have info on them whilst scrolling through only display chapter number.

Hmmmm.............do i need to update .xml file or replace it with something else??

Ta.

Trending threads

Latest News

Netflix UK free trials come to an end
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony update brings AirPlay 2 and Dolby Atmos support to select TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published