media to nas service?

leecavturbo

while i see lots of build/help with the nas hardware are there any services provided by ppl/company's to put your media on them/drives?
having a big nas is only the start if i'm getting it? and getting the content (music/vids) is a massive massive task. ????
so much so doing it in between work/sleep could take into half year territory???
:blush:

charles_b

Depends on the volume of media you have, AND how you want to store it (Bearing in mind what will be accessing it and what format you want.

I've not seen a service to do it yet, you could pay a local PC support company to do it - it can be very low level work - e.g. swapping CD's, DVD's and then ripping/extracting onto your NAS, you might even persuade some entrepreneurial teenagers to do it for a small fee.

For the majority of us, it's a task which we all tend to do ourselves in our own way, but it is tedious and mind-numbingly boring. Once you've done, make sure you take a backup! you don't want to do it again if you have a hardware failure on your NAS

nacmacfeegle

There are some music ripping services around, price is around 70-80p per cd.
Problem is checking tags against the version of the album you have. I regularly come across errors in the tags and have to manually adjust things. Snagging artwork can also be a bit hit and miss.
Also, with a service you generally don't get a choice in format, so be wary.
I've never heard of a DVD/BR ripping service, the choice of formats and compression is far wider, and much more of a personal nature.
Again, IME the time consuming part is getting the artwork sorted out properly.

Yep ripping your media is mind numbingly boring and only something you ever want to do once. We've all been through it and have our preferred workflow. Mine normally involves nice beer and quality malt whisky.

maf1970

No company will offer DVD / Blu-ray ripping facilities as it would result in them being charged with a criminal offence.(circumventing the protection). A company must keep records of everything they do for accounts purposes but it would also supply the Police with an open & shut case against them.(paperwork would be incriminating). Given the current climate the Police would jump at such a gift.

Yes ripping your CD / DVD / Blu-ray collection is mind numbingly boring. That is why when I am doing such a task I only do a set amount at a time. This means I don't get bored and it also allows me to check that tagging and artwork are correct. As said already you only want to do it once.

leecavturbo

how slow is a single average film blu-ray rip and sent to nas?
with the fastest processor and network

next010

Distinguished Member
The best way to transfer Blu-ray's in bulk is not to do it over the network but instead rip to an external HDD then once as many as possible are on it connect that to the NAS and using the built in file manager transfer the media over to the internal HDD. eSATA and USB3 connections will transfer the fastest, you can use the network transfer for the occasional update.

Not all movies are the same size and there are faster BD readers out there plus what if you just ripping the main movie and leaving all the extras.

If you have the money there are semi automated solutions like the Vidabox but they cost a small fortune. It is basically a Windows Home server with automated ripping software that downloads the metadata for your media box of choice, WMC, XBMC, Popcornhour, Dune etc ripping 5 discs at a time. Now it does not work on commercial discs only unencrypted ones but as it's a Windows system you can install AnyDVD and take care of that.

nacmacfeegle

"The best way to transfer Blu-ray's in bulk is not to do it over the network but instead rip to an external HDD then once as many as possible are on it connect that to the NAS and using the built in file manager transfer the media over to the internal HDD. eSATA and USB3 connections will transfer the fastest, you can use the network transfer for the occasional update."

Agree with Next010
If you have a spare PC you can also use *********, its basically an automated DVD and CD ripper, and music server package, but its a linux install and will nuke anything your existing PC unless you set up a dual boot. You just load it up, then sit and feed it discs all night. I used it to do a lot of my music collection a while back

Ripping times, for an uncompressed MKV using MakeMKV allow 15-25 minutes for a DVD, about 30mins to an hour for a B/R, depends largely on the speed of the ripping drive, and content of the disc.

If you need to compress or re-encode your video (eg with Handbrake) it takes a while and is largely dependent on the processing power and numbers of cores on your PC.

leecavturbo

sounds boarding on toooo time consuming. and for what? so you dont have to put the BR in the player?
hmmmmm sounds nice but its just not viable imo for me atm.
costs aside too.
i bet 95% of successful nas builders with large storage dont even sell on there collection of media for fear of hdd failures. i.e almost seems pointless and a costly exercise just to not pick up the disc and play.
pc succesfully reduced paper work by alot but a nas isnt going to allow you to gain real estate by not having individual media
yes i get the wow check this out all your movies at the touch of a remote but dam some path.
6 numbers please maybe then and pay someone to compile it lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom