Media streamer required

danswan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting a new thread on this as I'm sure the info is in here somewhere, but I can't find out exactly what I need.

I'm ditching the HTPC as my wife needs a new PC and the HTPC will do her just fine. We only use the HTPC for streaming video from the NAS so I was thinking I could replace it with a little streaming box which would do the same job.

My requirements are for it to play all common video and audio types, but specifically to be able to passthrough HD audio to my amp. The HTPC curently does this just fine and I would't want to lose that.

There's no need for internal storage as everything will be streamed from my NAS (Freenas 7)

I have lots of Blu-Rays ripped to MKV with DTS-MA and Dolby True HD audio, I realise that 10/100 LAN will do the job but if possible I would like something with gigabit net, mostly because everything else on the network is gigabit.

Having had a quick read on here I can see lots of recommendations for the Dune players, but these seem a bit pricier than the ones I was looking at (AC Ryan, Asus O!Play). Can someone point me in the right direction? Ideally sub-£100.

With no internal storage then gigabit won't make a jot of difference unless you have any media over 100Mbps (and if you do then £100 won't cut it ;)).

I would have said popcorn 200 series, but that's over the £100 mark.

O!play is old hat now and bit limited. WDTV Live has a nice'ish GUI

The Dune HD TV101 is only £99 :)

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the Dune 101 then? Will order tomorrow unless anyone has any other ideas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom