• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Media streamer or Ext. HDD?

Evilsatan

Standard Member
I just returned my Western Digital Elements 1TB external HDD as it was DOA with bad sectors on the disk. I went online and bought a Seagate Blackarmor 2TB external because it has encryption and an eSata interface for fast transfers. I found out this morning that only the data ran through the backup software is encrypted so I may be returning it.

I think it might be in my interest to buy a drive that could double up as a media streamer so I put all of my videos, photos etc on it and can stream to my PS3/360 without the need of having my computer turned on. I already have a portable HDD so this new box I buy will be stationary most of the time.

The criteria:
eSata interface for fast transfers when connected to PC to add new media
No need to have PC switched on to stream
Files must play on PS3 (x264, Xvid, HD content)

So far I have found these NAS type boxes:
1TB Iomega
Lacie 1TB

Or I could buy a WDHD, Popcorn Hour etc. and add a HDD, would this would end in the same result? And more importantly which media streamer is the best? I thought Popcorn Hour were but I didn't realise there were so many to choose from now!

My budget is around £150, a 1TB HDD would be enough as long as I could upgrade it in the future. A 2TB would be perfect. I will stretch to more money if the box is a professional streamer i.e. it would do everything I need for most filetypes to play seamlessly on the PS3.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom