Media Sharing - Xbmc / Plex / MB3?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by low-def., Jan 31, 2014.

1. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Hi all,

I've been using xbmc fora little while now, originally on the Pivos (linux vers) and then several android devices and then back to my i5 laptop being plugged into my living room tv.

Im after some advice for what would be the best way to get access to my media library (currently sitting on 2 x 2tb external hdd's) around the house? - so for instance in the living room, bedroom and the kids room.

thanks in advance.

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Well, it rather depends upon what you mean by the "best way". Do you have a wired network in all the locations mentioned ? That would be best, then get a NAS/Server with 2 x 3TB hard disks and copy your media library on to that (keep the existing external disks as a backup). Then you'll want XBMC media players or media players like the WD TV Live in each of the locations mentioned. Depending on what other requirements you have you're looking at a budget of £600 + for that.

On the other hand, what network infrastructure do you already have (router, wired and WiFi devices) and what exactly do you mean by "get access to" ? What kinds of media are we talking about (types, file formats etc.) ? What display/playback devices do you have or are thinking of using ?

3. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Hi, I have internet available hard lined in my living room and then via home plugs through out the rest. Wi-fi is also available.

I don't have any devices yet other than the laptop

4. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Would plex be a better option than xbmc if I want to view my content indifferent rooms? With plex do I walkways have yo have a PC running?

5. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Yes. Plex media server needs to be running to stream content to any devices.

6. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    If I were you, I'd nab one of those HP microservers that pop up on HUKD all the time for £100 after cashback. Stick all your media files on that and you're good to go. Then follow cjed's advice.

7. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I'm currently just using Windows fileshares to access media on my main PC from my HTPC in the living room. It works, but isn't very elegant and means my big, power hungry PC has to be on anytime we want to watch a movie or tv show or listen to music.

I've just done as richardb70 suggests, bought myself an HP Microserver with a couple of large drives and I'm now having a play with nas4free.

I did look at off the shelf NAS boxes but at my budget found them to be rather limited one-trick-ponies. I've got a background in FreeBSD so running nas4free or FreeNAS on a small, lower power server was an attractive solution. After a week of use though I can already see I'm going to out grow this - only having four drives is going to be pretty limiting pretty quickly.

It is worth pointing out that HP have had a change of heart in regards to BIOS and driver downloads, you can now only download these if your machine is in warranty, or if you have taken out a service contract with them. That's enough to put me off buying or recommending their equipment ever again.

8. MrRiver

MrRiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  9. icstm

icstm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yes, but JRiver does not quite have the same offline viewing that Plex does.
    As I understand it Jim, JRiver as a cache ahead approach, but you cannot select files to watch on a flight in advance for example.

10. MrRiver

MrRiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It might depend on equipment used, but MC can sync files to a handheld (phone or tablet).