1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Server

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Desmo, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    OK guys, I'm thinking of having a dedicated server to hold my media files. These are mainly my MP3's and DVD's ripped to HD. Plus a few application downloads etc.

I've just bought my first house and now that my 2 comps will be in different rooms and also cos I just want to, I was thinking of building a dedicated server.

Now my 2 machines are XP1600's running on a 10/100 network. I can play a ripped DVD on my HTPC whilst simultaneously playing a ripped DVD from the HTPC on my other machine over the network. I don't get any stuttering at all.

For the new server I was thinking of another XP1600 and and Asus nForce mobo. The mobo has built in graphics card, which although not needed for the server is handy for setting up/maintenance. It also has built-in 10/100 ethernet. I can get the mobo and chip for a shade over £100. I've already got an old case, power supply, heatsink, etc. I can then just add hard drives as and when.

I'm trying to keep this cheap (remember the new house :) )

Can you guys think of anything I may have missed? Any other problems I might come across. I'm sure the spec of this will be fine for serving both machines and multiple files at the same time.

All comments welcome.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Take a look at www.mini-itx.com

There are lots of ideas for small media servers using mini-itx form factor mobos. Small in size and low noise.

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    Damn you Retro :(
    Now you've given me more ideas that will cost me more money. I could use a couple of those and have them dotted around the house as mini PC's. One in the second bedroom, one in the kitchen, etc.

Not sure they're what I'm after for a server though. I'm not worried about the size or the noise as it will be in a mostly unused room. And they'd be too small to hold lots of hard disks.

4. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm doing a media server too :)

Mines a Athlon 1.4 with 1gb ram (not sure if I need that much, but what the heck :D). I'm running redhat 7.3 with Samba as it's free. The HDD for the OS etc. is an old 4gb I had lying around, and I'll be buying HDD's as and when I can afford it and putting them into a software RAID 5 configuration (which also comes free with linux). I'll be using Maxtor ATA 133 controller cards which I got from Ebuyer for about £24 each. Using a 2nd hand graphics card, and a £3 keyboard from ebuyer.

I have got a posh £com 10/100 nic with the onboard processor, but can't get teh drivers workig so I've settled for a bog standard 3com 905TX. Like you I can play DVD files from the server no probs at all :)

5. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My file server is;

AMD 1.333, 512Mb PC133, AHA 29160 with 1*18Gb Seagate Cheetah (10K) and 3 * 36Gb Seagate Cheetahs (10k) which are currently up for sale on ebay ;) , 4* Maxtor 120Gb 5,400rpm ide drives, 1 3Com 3CR990SVR97 Nic.

This machine shares movies and music to my main workstation and to my shuttle media (almost a) cube. It also runs DC++ 24*7.

All three machines use Win XP pro and are usually quite stable although there are a few codec issues with the workstation.

The file server is in a supermicro 750a server case (full tower) and the only three bad points iare noise - from drives and fans, heat - the back room the server is in is noticably warmer than the rest of my flat even with a small window open & IDE cable length - with the 4 IDE drives in the case the max IDE cable length will be a problem if I wish to add more.

I control the server using VNC which is free and password protected to access to another machine. I also picked up a 4 machine KVM switchbox for around £12 on ebay.