1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Server and Freeview

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Leonidas, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Leonidas

Leonidas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This is my first post, so apologies if I'm going over old ground. I'm going to upgrade my machine soon and my plan is to use the parts from my old one to build a media centre and then set a wireless network with media extenders linking to my TV's.

An interesting project in itself, and I'm dubious whether the wireless network can deal with TV 24/7 but I'm game to try and MS seem to think it'll work well. My question is as follows:

I have a freeview box and I'm trying to figure out if I can use this to get digital TV or if I will need to buy a digital TV card for the media centre. PC Pro have just run an article on this and they said it would be possible but if I do plug the freeview box into the media centre, how do I change channel becasue surely the freeview box takes the signal and sends whatever channel you ask for down the scart lead (in this case into the media centre), therefore I would have to use the freeview remote to change channel - only problem is the media centre and freeview box will be in my study transmitting over the wifi to my tv in the lounge or bedroom. And also I wnat to be able to use the media centre remote to pause live tv etc..

Anyone understand what I mean?!! Any ideas on this subject?

Thanks, Leonidas

2. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hauppage make 3 types of capture cards that are specifically designed to work with windows media centre, the 150PVR MCE, the 250PVR MCE and the 500PVR MCE. They all pretty much do the same job, which is capture whatever video signal you feed into them (eg. a freeview box) - another great thing about these cards is that they have the PVR functionality. I don't know if the MCE remote can change freeview box (I've not picked up a copy of MCE yet) but if it can't, you can buy IR relays and repeaters. I found this one at keene electronics which uses your existing coax cable:
    http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/05dup/05F.html

Keep us up to date with your project - I have something similar to this planned

3. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That link may not be that useful - but it puts you in the right area at least!!

4. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think you can only buy the MCE editions of the Hauppage cards with other hardware as they are not intended to be sold retail, only OEM. Shouldn't matter though, I've got the bog standard PVR250 (not MCE version) and that works ok with MCE2005. Did have a bit of trouble finding the right drivers though, but eventually downloaded the latest PVR250MCE drivers and used the retail version that came in the package, IIRC. Overall MCE is very fussy about what hardware and driver combo you use, but as long as the hardware is on their supported list you should be ok.

MCE 2005 comes with a couple of IR blasters that attach to the IR receiver for the remote. These allow you to control other devices via MCE. As long as your freeview box is supported it should work. All depends on the ir codes your freeview uses, though there's supposed to be a 'learn from any remote' feature (which didn't work too well when I tried it) when setting up the set-top box in MCE.

5. Leonidas

Leonidas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll definately look into the hauppage cards. Sounds like this project could take a bit of playing around to set it up. Just need to wait for the wireless media extenders to come out now (only Linksys and HP are making them to begin with aren't they?) and then I'll give it a crack.