1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media problems - Toshiba SD-145E (want to buy a more media firendly player)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robo989, May 21, 2005.

1. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I've been through a few cheapy players...

Dansai-852
    Dansai-955
    Yamada-6600

They all played discs well at first but then as time goes on, when playing +\-R discs they start to skip a little occassionally (I watch alot of dvds)...

This is kinda to be expected I suppose...

Anyway, I went into argos the other day to get a new player (just wanted one to tide me over for a while so didn't really bother looking around on the net). Saw a "good?" deal on a toshiba 140E but when they gave me the box it was a 145E, it is actually a worse player, and itsn't what was advertised (said it did progressive scan, the one they gave me didn't even have components output!!!!!!!!)

Ummm, well anyway this player plays my dvd+r backups very well, that is as long as it actually loads them, I've noticed a few of my backups just seem to hang when it tries to load the main "root" menu... I thought my discs had been messed up, but I know their fine (did lots of pi scans\transfer rate tests in nero etc etc etc etc...)

I read on the forum toshiba players aren't too hot on compatibility, so I guess what I'd like to know is a good player that will play +R and -R media relyably like my old players, that costs about £100, has good cd audio playback (the 145E toshiba is amazing compared to my old players...)

well yeah thats it really just a good player, that has good RGB scart output\CD Audio (digital coax) and a good surround sound output....

Thank you,,,,

I've seen people talk about the Pioneer 575\Toshiba 340E but I understand these have problems with some media and I'm not sure how compatible they are with cheap media....

My discs are burnt well, in face I'm not even sure its the discs, it would seem this toshiba doesn't like complicated dvd structures (maybe I'm wrong)

anyway thanx for your help with this :)

Rob

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Its a very good question but I'm not sure there is a definitive player when it comes reading burnt dvds.

It doesn't even seem to be related to price as some of the most expensive dvd players aren't necessarily very good at reading copied dvds and generally the best models I've experienced have been the very cheap models. I don't think you'll get a player with excellent audio cd playback and excellent copied dvd playback because they seem to be mutually exclusive. You'll have to compromise somewhere. I have a Limit 900SE and that has excellent audio cd playback but only good dvd-/+ compatibility. Its beaten by my Skyworth and AMW P80L for media compatibility. Neither the skyworth or AMW offer good audio cd playback.

3. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi thanx for replying :)

I don't think I've explained myself very well...;)

Basically need a dvd player that...

1. Plays CD audio good (not neccasarily amazing but just not terrible, I couldn't believe the difference between my yamada-6600 and this toshiba SD-145E. And I'm pretty sure this 145E isn't that good anyway just compared to the yamada, I feel like I've been missing out big time!!!)

- So a "relativly" good cd playback is what I'm after...

2. Good media compatibility, I'm not sure really, I mean I know no player will play absolutely everything. But the players I had before seemed to, so kinda just one that will play as much as possible...

3. Picture quality - again, I say a good picture, but really I mean, just acceptable for the price...

Just after the best player going around £100 that will have the best compatibilty (either a toshiba\Yamaha\Pioneeer\a genuine non china make)

I've had enough of tacky chinease players :hiya:

Thanx for any help, just a quick suggestion of a player or 2 is what I'm after really, its not a big deal really

Thank you :)

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Most of the Toshiba's are also tacky chinese players underneath. The Toshiba 330 was made by Goldyip in china I believe. The thing with the Toshiba 330 I had was it had a rubbish slow 1x dvd drive. This probably made it better for audio cd playback than some of the cheaper chinese models that have the dvd drive run at 2x or even 4x speed. However dvd players with 4x dvd drives offer superior layer change speed, media compatiibility (more time to reread poor areas on discs) and just general improvements in picture search quality etc.

Maybe something made by LG would be worth considering. They used to do dvd players with superb media compatibility and excellent audio cd playback and maybe the current models are the same.

As a generalisation though I would say audio cd playback has got worse on dvd players because cost considerations has made the power supplies and dvd drives much cheaper and the power supplies are a little less stable under load and the dvd drives don't maintain speed as well as they used to. This is perfectly understandable when you consider how much they charge for these items nowadays. DVD players now retail sub £20 and you can even get one delivered to your door from amazon for that money.

Loosely on the same subject, I made a comparision the other day between playing my audio cds on a portable cd player and converted to mp3s on my mp3 player. The mp3 player sounded much better (both using the same headphones). It didn't take long to realise that while the mp3 player was playing heavily compressed music it at least could do the timing well of the music. The portable cd player was obviously struggling to keep the cd rotating accurately in comparision and maybe it was of the design that only has a mono amplifer that switches between both channels really fast. End result mp3 easily won as it was more detailed. Of course make the comparision at home on a decent cd player and mp3 player and it would almost definitely go the other way.

Maybe if you get a dvd player with poor audio cd playback you might find converting them to mp3 and playing on the same player will increase audio quality considerably.

5. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    interesting read, thanx...

I thought about the mp3 thing, and I dont wanna sound like an audio gimp, but even at 320kbps I can easily tell the difference between the mp3 and the original cd not because of artifacts but because the details just lacking in virtually any type of music except classical stuff, my amps *fairly* good though, on my mates stereo the mp3 sounds better than it does on my setup and his amps far worse than mine so I guess it just ain't up to pickin up all the detail anyway.

Umm, right soo....

By the looks of things, it might be a better idea for me just to buy a standalone cd seperate (£75 enuf for that?) that plays cds good

and then a dvd player with top notch media compatibility (got around £100ish) for this....

I'd be eternally greatful for 2 recommendations...

I'll be using an optical digital input for the dvdplayer and a coax digital for the cd seperate or vice versa (I've only got one coax input on me amp)

Whats best for each as in coax\optical insofar as sound reproduction for cds, I heard it was coax but I'm not sure...

cheers, for the input so far, very much appreciated :)

Rob