• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Media Portal

jimmiknicks

Established Member
I've installed media portal and it LOOKS great unfortunately when it access' any of my vidoes it takes on average to go from the folder menu to the films around 40 secs, then once the film is chosen it takes another 40 secs to play, then the same if you want to stop the film and go back to the film menu or the main menu.
With music it takes even longer and when I try playing a song it sometimes crash's .

The spec of my PC is:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard
AMD AM2 Athlon 64
2gb Memory
MicroATX Case
80gb SATA HDD
380w PSU
BlueRay/HD Combo Drive
1tb MyBook World Edition (NOT running Mionet)

I have around 350gb of films and 160gb of music all stored on a networked drive which I have now attached to a switch situated right next to my PC in attempt to speed up the connection (previously it was in another room hooked up to a home plug).

There seems to be no problems when your in a menu and MP itself boots up quickly it's just seems to be when you access the hard drive. I have Itunes which has no speed problems with music and when you access the hard drive in "My Computer", as I have it mapped, there are no speed issues when accessing the movie and music folders directly.

Any suggestions, I would post this on MP's forum but having a nightmare logging :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

mossym

Distinguished Member
there is a delay on mine as well when i go to a networked drive, browsing local recordings on the htpc hard drive is quicker, and the more you have on the netowrked drive the longer it takes. Not sure there is a lot you can do

jimmiknicks

Established Member
Noooooooooooooo : (

Bloody NAS box has cuased me nothing but trouble!

For Sale
One 1TB WD NAS Box

£170

It's great....... honest :mad:

mossym

Distinguished Member
that's the one i have as well, but my delay isn't 40 secs, unless i go into photos folder where ll my photos are stored, so thousands of pictures, and it takes quite a while.

have you tried using the database with your movies to see if it speeds things up?

jimmiknicks

Established Member
Sorry what do you mean by the database?
All the films have been IMDB'd as it were.
Funny I don't have thousands of photo's but I have a lot and there is no delay whats so ever with photo's? :confused:

sam.i.am

Established Member
Just my 2p...

Your motherboard has a 10/100/1000 network card so it's not that, maybe your switch is the bottleneck because it's only 10/100?

Might it be worth un-installing an re-installing MP?

Tried copying a film to the HTCP's local disk and seeing if you still have to wait 40seconds?

Does the MyBook have eSATA?

mossym

Distinguished Member
Sorry what do you mean by the database?
All the films have been IMDB'd as it were.
Funny I don't have thousands of photo's but I have a lot and there is no delay whats so ever with photo's? :confused:

there is a database import function in mediaportal, under moveis, i'm not sure if once you imdb each individual movie if it just adds them to it

jimmiknicks

Established Member
Quick update, I sold the W.D hard drive and bought a simple 1tb Maxtor One touch. This is hooked directly to my HTPC via USB2 it now takes exactly 9 secs to load up my vidoes, better! :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom