Media Players that display Movie Synopsis / Reviews

bassface

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just bought a HiMedia 600A, and while I'm happy with it, I'm a bit disappointed with the user interface. It can display movie covers (.jpegs) but no other associated information IMDB or Rotten Tomato Reviews.

My question is this - what Current (or upcoming) media players have a UI that will display movie reviews (either automatically, or that need to be downloaded into a .txt file of similar and put onto the streamer.)

I'm thinking of something like XBMC / PLEX / Boxee but without having to run a PC.

Don't care about any other functionality at this stage (network, internal hdd, wifi, youtube etc) - Only about the UI.

-thanks

bubblegum57

Attachments

next010

Distinguished Member
ATV2 with XBMC would be the closest as a Rotten Tomatoes scraper can be added in.

The ATV2 though it has limited video decoding, anything SD video wise should be okay but only HD H.264 video is supported. Also only network sources of media are supported no USB.

MarkE19

Not able to view reviews, but all the Dune media players running the likes of Zappiti can show the cover art, and also the synopsis of the film. All the info can be manually edited to suite if you don't like what is downloaded from IMDB. You can get an idea of what Zappiti looks like on it's web site - Zappiti - Ultimate Media Center for Dune HD Players - Freeware
AFAIK the likes of Yamj on the Popcorn Hour players should also offer something similar.

Mark.

bubblegum57

I was browsing the internet as I do, for Movie Jukeboxes when I came across Oversight

OversightIntro - oversight - A minimalist stand-alone jukebox with auto media unpaking and renaming - Google Project Hosting

If I understand correctly, you install it to a pc, & point it at your Network Media player.
You can get it to automatically scan for new media automatically.

I started to install, it has a few NMT's listed, then you put in the ip address & the ftp user & password.
Thats as far as I got because I don't have a network device yet.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
:lease:

dwhite

Oversight runs directly on the NMT platform (usually Popcorn Hours, but there are a few others), it does not require a PC, that's the major advantage of it.

bassface

Standard Member
Wow @bubblegum57 Thumbgen is a great program. Managed to generate some great thumbs until I can stump up for a streamer that gives me full Movie Sheet support.

Zappiti looks really sweet, but Dune and PCH streamers are still quite expensive in the U.K (maybe to do with availability?).

Thanks for the help.

MarkE19

Zappiti looks really sweet, but Dune and PCH streamers are still quite expensive in the U.K (maybe to do with availability?).
Well IMO you get what you pay for. The Dune players are expensive but you get about the best compatability with all the different media formats and on most models a full BluRay & DVD license, so they play anything you throw at them. They also get regular firmware updates that can often be lacking on some of the other players.

Mark.

bassface

Standard Member
Well IMO you get what you pay for
I completely agree, but I'm waiting for support for 3D Bluray (Full HD Bluray ISO support), which as far as I'm aware is unsupported by any player. Before I'm willing to step up to the higher end players (which is why I got a cheapie in the meantime).

The Thumbgen software (and thumbgen template designer) really is superb and will do suffice until I upgrade.

I was looking for players with good movie sheet support for my friend who has kids and wants something user friendly - I've got enough to go on now to give him some options.

bubblegum57

Oversight runs directly on the NMT platform (usually Popcorn Hours, but there are a few others), it does not require a PC, that's the major advantage of it.
So, I realise Oversight won't necessarily work on a HiMedia 600, but if it does work, do you think I can get Moviesheets?

bassface

Standard Member
I couldn't find a template that I liked for the Himedia 600A. Most of the templates I found have too much information, and the logos / ratings appear too small on my TV (46") so I made my own template - containing the bare minimum information that I want.

Resolution of file in top left hand corner, IMDB rating and Metacritic scores in the bottom corners. If anyone wants the template let me know and I'll pass it along

pmarb

my older netgera eva9150 allows tagging files from imdb with coverart synopsis etc- im pretty sure the new netgear players 550, 330 have the same functionality if that answers your question.

bubblegum57

I couldn't find a template that I liked for the Himedia 600A. Most of the templates I found have too much information, and the logos / ratings appear too small on my TV (46") so I made my own template - containing the bare minimum information that I want.

Resolution of file in top left hand corner, IMDB rating and Metacritic scores in the bottom corners. If anyone wants the template let me know and I'll pass it along

I used Thumbgen for the folders only, I agree there was too much info. It covered a lot of the folder.
I only got the 600B yesterday, I'm still trying to sort things out.

Please could you send me the template.
:lease:

I was hoping to use Oversight, but I now realise I need ftp, which the 600B hasn't got.
I'm trying to work out if I can use YAMJ, to get sheets.

bubblegum57

Sure, just follow the instructions from the link you sent me...

Mini-sheets for any device able to show thumbnails

But instead of the template provided, use mine...
https://rapidshare.com/files/4077850602/_Himedia_600A_.zip

Unzip this into your templates folder, and select it as the template you want to use in the thumbgen options (load the profile that the above link gives first).

Let me know if you have any problems.
Thanks, I have done a test folder image.

What I really want is to display sheets with synopsis.

I have tried Oversight, no ftp
Yamj, creates a htm file, I can see it from my computer, but I can't see it in the file manager of the 600B hard drive.

Thanks

bassface

Standard Member
I don't know what you mean? The himedia firmware won't show anything other than a .jpg for each movie thumbnail, so it's never going to be able to show an html file (unless you navigate to it though the built in browser, which would be tedious to say the least).

I also want movie sheets with synopsis - but I'm pretty sure its impossible with this player (unless they upgrade the firmware or someone releases a custom firmware). I don't see how FTP would help anything, even if the player had it?

If you make any progress then post it up here.

Thanks

bubblegum57

I don't know what you mean? The himedia firmware won't show anything other than a .jpg for each movie thumbnail, so it's never going to be able to show an html file (unless you navigate to it though the built in browser, which would be tedious to say the least).

I also want movie sheets with synopsis - but I'm pretty sure its impossible with this player (unless they upgrade the firmware or someone releases a custom firmware). I don't see how FTP would help anything, even if the player had it?

If you make any progress then post it up here.

Thanks
Yamj works with Popcorn hours, it seems that Yamj generates htm files, which the popcorn hours can see. I was just playing, hoping the Himedia could do the same.

bassface

Standard Member
Not possible without a firmware update. I found this -

HD600 series

Looks like there are custom (DIY) Firwares for this player, but most added functionality addresses adding VOD services and Linux daemons rather than enhancing the UI.

Might be worth a post to that forum to see if any of the developers (or himedia themselves) have plans to allow movie sheets (even as a .jpg or .png - this would be extremely straightforward to implement.)...

mikkeltaylor29

Standard Member
How about a Boxee Box?

I have one and very impressed with how it displays all my local media files and plays my 30gb blu ray rips.

It displays covers, trailers, cast and plot info but doesn't have reviews now, but you never know it might in the future.

bubblegum57

Sure, just follow the instructions from the link you sent me...

Mini-sheets for any device able to show thumbnails

But instead of the template provided, use mine...
https://rapidshare.com/files/4077850602/_Himedia_600A_.zip

Unzip this into your templates folder, and select it as the template you want to use in the thumbgen options (load the profile that the above link gives first).

Let me know if you have any problems.
@bassface

Hi, I have made a Thumb template, with Rating, Year & Runtime in the corners. The problem is, that if the thumb background is white, I cannot see the white text. If you don't mind, could you see if you could modify it, so, There is a black or Blank background in the corners, so I can see the white text. See these

https://rapidshare.com/files/2619688031/_Himedia_600B_.7z

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom