media player which plays mkv and dts

rav79

Standard Member
Reaction score
as per the title

can anyone recommend me a media player which plays the above formats

my mate has recommened i get one which supports these formats

sure - one quick question where will the content be stored? (your movies/music/pictures etc)

Popular:
Popcorn Hour A-110 Network Media Player NMT

AC Ryan Playon!HD Network Media Player: Digital Era - The Home Of Digital Technology

New + expensive but offers Blu-ray and DVD playback:
Popcorn Hour C-200

New + cheap
WD TV Live HD Media Player Full-HD 1080p media player
(but i would have to double check the dts side of things as its only just been released and we are still waiting for user comments)

Where can I find the Asus O!Play HD Media Player for sale?

Am trying to decide what streamer to get and want to check out all the options... There's far too many!! lol

I'd recommend a PCH A110 or C200 for future proofing. Both have great community support and plays everything you throw at it in silky smooth responsive timings!

digitaera how much is the WD one and do you sell the asus, does the asus definetly play dts

regarding the WD one

if i connect this to a hd tv, will it pass through the DTS, i have no surround sound box or set up

This question may have been answered already on another thread, however it's related to this thread.

I am after a media player which supports the above as well as has component and/or scart output as my plasma is the second generation and therefore does not have a hd connection. :eek:

I have found the following so far:

Netgear EVA9150
Popcorn Hour C-200
ioBox-100HD

But the Netgear and Popcorn one are toooo expensive. :nono:

The Popcorn hour A110 has a component output.

I am about to buy the WD, but need a last bit of advice

A friend has said I should get a player which plays mkv and dts
But another friend has said the following

currently majority of formats available are avi, divx and mpeg. You can get media players for around £30 to play this.

It is unlikely that these formats will become obsolete sometime soon as many systems use this as their main file. Ipods and iphones only play Mpeg4 files.

When the time comes that MKV is more widely distributed we can assume that media players like the WD will reduce in price big time and or something really cool with come out. Hard disk price comes down every day.

For today and for at least the next year your media player will probably have less then 10% files (MKV) that will utilise the full potential of your media player.

Is this true, I thought its better to get an mkv one

For today and for at least the next year your media player will probably have less then 10% files (MKV) that will utilise the full potential of your media player.

Is this true, I thought its better to get an mkv one

I bought my player specifically to play mkvs only, divx/xvids are so last decade now.

Typically I have found only a few downloaded files that have been encoded incorrectly which do not render as these players use hardware acceleration.

So your choices, in order of recommendation...

1 - WD-TV Live (recently released, early reviews look promising, UI is gorgeous but personally I don't think the hardware is head and shoulders above the rest)

2 - On a budget ? Get the O!play (reasonable level of forum support)

3 - On a recession proof budget ? HiSense Media Player (zero level of support but is essentially an Asus O!play in disguise)

is the popcorn hour a better unit or a Asus O!Playor WD the new one, i want a player that play menues mkv and dts and have subtitles

i want a player which does mkv, dts , hd
full menus on DVDs and subtitles

which is best for me

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom