Media player .. what are your thoughts on his one

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
It's a Realtek based player, so probably very similar to the Mede8er as far as the internal hardware is concerned, only smaller since it will only take a 2.5" HDD internally. It is less than half the price of the Mede8er as well, so that's a plus.

However, we're seeing a lot of these types of boxes come out from China lately. It'll probably work just fine, but some things you should be aware of....

- you'll probably have no comeback if the hardware fails. I see there is a Returns policy, but quite frankly they'll probably want you to send it back to China which will cost you more than you paid for it.

- the firmware is the most important aspect of these players. Chances are it won't get updated very often, if at all, which may be a problem if the supplied loaded firmware isn't bug-free....that's even if you manage to find somewhere you can download the firmware from.

- there's probably very little in the way of user support for it, such as a good user forum.

Like I said, it'll probably be fine, but if it were me I wouldn't touch it. I'd rather spend a bit more money and get something which is well known and has good support and a good company behind it for firmware updates.

planthead

Well said domino,,at that price plus delivery, wait 3/4 weeks, and you will be probably have to pay customs,, you could buy a wd tv live ,from Amazon, put the b rad and osd all-in-one firmware on a usb stick,, plug it in and in 5 mins have a great player and a nice gui,, and be watching the latest HD movies at the weekend,,..

MarkE19

As already mentioned, with a media player the firmware support is the most important part - more so than the hardware in most cases. Therefore buying from an unknown maker could well leave you with little or no updates to allow playback of new file formats or to work with new copy prevention systems (like at the hassle many had being able to play Avatar when it was first released on BD).
Then there is the chances of getting a player with stolen firmware. The eGreat A1080 looked really good value for money until it was found they were illegally putting Dune firmware on the player. Dune have since blocked this so no further updates are available to A1080 owners, and there have even been reports of Dune making their firmware break the player.

So as already advised you are likely to be beter off getting a player from a well established maker that has good firmware & user support.

Mark.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
Agree with everything said above.
The 30 quid saving is countered by lack of support from the maker, and more importantly in my opinion, there will be little or no 'social' support here.
Can you imagine the response to a query like" I have a streamer and I don't know its make or model number, but how do I get 1080p films to stream?"
False economy mate, the value I place on the support I have received from these very forums on any number of subjects goes way beyond a 30 quid saving.
Just my tuppence worth.;)

jacko_oafc

Many thanks for all your very informative replies :thumbsup:
I will be getting a WD Tv Live as it meets all my needs and is only £30 extra.
( or i may wait for the new version at £113 at scan computers ).
Regards Jacko.

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
Many thanks for all your very informative replies :thumbsup:
I will be getting a WD Tv Live as it meets all my needs and is only £30 extra.
( or i may wait for the new version at £113 at scan computers ).
Regards Jacko.

I'm happy to see you've taken the sensible route, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the WD TV Live.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom